Some aircraft just look right

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think how a certain aircraft performs can certainly affect how it is visually appreciated, take the pilatus porter for instance not exactly the most gracious looking aircraft at first look but once you see it in use it (and other practical ugly ducklings like it) you see a greater beauty!

As for looks pylon posted a picture of a glider in a thread 6months or so ago (I can't remember the thread) I think it was a Salto and as far as looks go I thought it was beautiful:thumb up:

G'day Kaz, No this Beaver is based at Rose Bay in Sydney. Don

This is the one in Hobart. Sorry it's a crap photo but the ventral view is very similar to the one at Rose Bay.

I've never been in one on floats but I had a play in John Cornish's aggi job many years ago. Lovely machine!

Kaz

image.jpg.6502974513688c8596ac23455116f76f.jpg

A little birdie flying high.Dropped a message from the sky

And as I wiped it from my eye,

I thanked the Lord that Cows don't fly.

Nev

They do, as can be shown from my avatar which is not photo shopped. This photo was taken on short final approach at Guernsey Airport flying over the Guernsey Dairy. As you know Guernsey milk produces the worlds best butter so these cows were affectionately called the Guernsey Cow Butterflyers and their messages were only dropped at ground level. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

Guest Maj Millard
Thread-drift The early Beavers had alloy strut fittings that would hold up to original maximum design weights, (there's a photo somewhere of a float Beaver that went IFR and looped out the bottom of a cloud and bent a wing about 30°, but landed safely).But when they came to Australia and started Ag work in our rough conditions, a couple managed to pull the wings off (not sure if it was a new aircraft that failed).

All beavers now have steel strut fittings and doubler plates on the wings for Ag and sea-plane work.

There may have been a few extra mods around the tail as well, I know the tailwheel fittings were beefed up.

Pylon, I have to assume you may be referring to the lower strut fitting commonly called called the 'pork chop"?....I can. certainly imagine them becoming jepodised if they were once alloy. The only ones I've seen are of a high grade of steel which would be much stronger and more corrosion resistant than alloy, especially when exposed to ag chemicals or salt water. Even the latest ones still need to be replaced on the Amphibs because of salt exposure, occasionally.