TransAsia Crash Taiwan

Fairly certain there has been more than one engine failure in a Kingair in 50 years! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Considering that Pelican had 4 aircraft and at that time they had around 12,000hrs each that is pretty reliable.

Plenty of drop zones in the US with King Airs have exciting stories of engine failures, some resulting in loss of aircraft.

Guest Howard Hughes
It relies on the engine feathering quickly to achieve single engine performance.. A turbo prop will absorb more power to windmill the prop that if gives thrust, so it is critical the prop be feathered quickly. they also have complex pitch locks to prevent overspeeding the prop which is a serious hazard . Nev

Funnily enough I was just thinking about this on my nightly walk and wondering if the ATR has 'prop locks'. From my experience it would be difficult to get airborne with prop locks engaged, but not impossible.

Watching the longer video, gives one a different appreciation of the aircraft's movements.

Whether single or both engines failed is hard to tell, but the pilot was doing his best to stretch his glide, he just didn't quite make it.....

From what I can tell from a Chinese animation, the pilot followed the river for a long time trying to find some where to put it down on the water clipping a building along the way.

The animations have been pulled weirdly.

Prop locks do not have anything ot do with getting airborne. Usually you a have a Fight fine limiter( STOP) and a ground fine limiter. and you have to unlock them when you approach a critical airspeed as you slow down. The prime reason for these locks is to prevent the engine/ prop overspeeding if the pitch control mechanism fails in normal operations.

If it hangs up on a pitch lock it gets rapidly to an excess TGT as the revs decay and the turbine melts. Nev

Garrett TPE engines have prop locks that will stop the prop going into feather during normal shut down in the earlier version you had to manually stop it from feathering during the shutdown. The lock was set to 0 deg flat pitch for no hang starts. If you missed it you had to pump the oil into the prop governor to unfeather before you could start. In fight restarts require unfeathering. Some were either manual pumps and some had electric pumps. These engines will not start with prop in feather.

P&W engines are free turbines they do not have 'locks' as such, they do have stops that are set during ground rigging for max and min pitch and reverse pitch.

being freewheel they have no load on the turbine during start and will start in feather without hanging

Pretty complicated subject. Underspeed and overspeed protections are handled by a combination of manual trimming (Prop lever to governor settings) and the prop governor and governor pump and solonoid valves that direct the flow of engine oil as settings and pressure dictate. Long time since i played with them and pretty sure these days they would have found some way to introduce that modern digital magic into it. PT6 starts seem rather boring these days with a one switch fadec start. I much prefer the old fashioned spin it up then count off 6 and throw in the fuel and watch the T5s bounce around before settling at roast leg of lamb temps.