This wasn't on Fox News, so it probably isn't true...

Sorry about that; the pictures of the lavish interior failed to load. Even worse, it seems my source was dodgy. Looks like the Arabs have been unfairly blamed. This version may be more reliable:

https://airlineworld.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/etihad-airbus-slams-into-wall-while-engine-testing/

The incident is true. The embellishment regarding "Arab crew" is completely false.

Onboard the aircraft at the time:

1 ground test technician in the right seat (Airbus employee) who was conducting the actual engine run.

1 customer representative in the left seat to observe test compliance.

1 flight test engineer in jump seat (Airbus employee).

Other factual errors:

1. The Landing Gear Control and Interface Unit (LGCIU) does send a signal to the GPWS regarding gear position, but you can turn off GPWS any time and it does not fool the aircraft into thinking anything. It just disables GPWS.

2. The GPWS has nothing to do with monitoring the takeoff configuration which is an integral part of the main Flight Management & Guidance Computers. Even disabling the flight management computers still won't disable the air/ground logic (which is through the LGCIUs).

The reality:

1. The test engineer violated ground run procedures by running up all 4 engines to very high thrust, and did not chock the aircraft.

2. The parking brake was set, but the thrust applied exceeded the capacity of the parking brake (and the friction coefficient of the tarmac).

3. As the aircraft started moving, the ground test engineer applied nosewheel steering and manual braking in an attempt to avoid the wall, but the application of nosewheel steering further reduced the braking effectiveness.

4. In his moment of shock, the ground test engineer (Airbus employee) didn't even think about reducing the thrust.

• Informative 3

This is a very old "report". . There have been many instances of aircraft jumping chocks with multi high power engine runs. I wonder why anyone would presume the brakes would hold with high power on four engines. nev

• Agree 1

Hell! I always thought that you had to leave the chocks where they were on the ground so that you could park your airplane correctly when you returned from your flight. I always depart my parking space by applying full power to ride over the chocks, then back off the power so the airplane taxis a just below stall speed. Of course, before commencing taxying, I set the flaps to their take off position.

OME