Recommendation of Aircraft

shags_j

Hi All,

I'm starting to look for my first aircraft to buy at the end of this year. I wanted to keep it cheap; say sub $50k.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My only requirements are 3 axis, not a jab, and at least 80kts cruise. New or second hand.

At the moment I am just having a look, not ready to buy till end of year.

Cheers,

Shags

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a Tobago for $42k at Cessnock. Four seats, 130 KIAS cruise. 35 l/hr and a big fat annual but otherwise good price.

Or, you could by a 1/3 share in a Tecnam Sierra (mine) for $23k and it will cruise at 110 KIAS on about 18 L/hr and all your fixed costs are divided three ways. Big fixed costs are insurance an hangar and, if you do less than 100 hrs p.a. the annual maintenance.

• Like 1

Hi All,I'm starting to look for my first aircraft to buy at the end of this year. I wanted to keep it cheap; say sub $50k.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My only requirements are 3 axis, not a jab, and at least 80kts cruise. New or second hand.

At the moment I am just having a look, not ready to buy till end of year.

Cheers,

Shags

RAA or GA Rego?.....

Mike

Well For ya first Craft I would recommend a Lightwing GR582 or GR- GA912 they are a tail dragger or nose wheel configuration can carry a pax and some gear for ya trips

some more information can be found here :http://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/lightwing.48/

I have own 2 lightwing Papa0229 was my first witch I bought from Lismore I had her for 12 years with no problems flow most of the east coast did a Cape York flight around the tip and she never let me down !

Now have 250032 which I bought as a wreck and with Carlo Pete rebuild her now .

they are great too fly can be a challenge in crosswinds but are very rewarding :-)

Doug

1551715_643009855756591_880838678_n.jpg.624e9ba0c80224def06c4cd845695996.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Always had a soft spot for the lightwing and we have a world expert in Ross Millard if ever you need any advice on them. Not sure I could recommend anything with a 2 stroke engine (GR) but plenty swear by them on the ground ant at them when they quit aloft.

• Haha 1

Yeah I want to stay away from two strokes. Saw a two stroke on a motorbike fail at 100km/h on the freeway, wasn't pretty.

I have to admit I am really liking the lightwing though... Thanks for the tips guys. Looks of good options to look into.

Cheers,

Shags

what about coominya out near gatton ,coominya flight training run by john walmsley 0413 452 547 he has a number of hangars not sure of space but he also trains with lightwings.im a student there as well a mate of mine from thornlands goes out there to hire as well

Two strokes are fine they do require a little more care in the way u run them eg warming them up propery and then managing them in the air but I have only flown behind them all my flying life now 20 years plus with out any problems 0032 is my third two stroke in aircraft and had many other motorcycle go carts hovercraft JetSki , so for me I will happy ride fly drive push atwo stroke love them ,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Shags, I live in Thornlands and hire the lightwings out of Coominya.. bit of a trip though, about 1hr 30mins or so. I am yet to go out and check out Heck field. I want to see a Morgan Cougar that has just been hangared.