2 Ultralights Missing

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you remind me of a few times I have hopped into cars here and offended the driver by putting my seatbelt on.

... because accidents never happen, well not to you anyway, right.....

operated correctly they are as good as a four strokes, had plenty of engine failures both two and four stroke,

What the hell? Do you even see how that reads?

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

The US UL Assoc allowed an additional 25 lbs to be added to an aircraft weight if you fitted a ballistic chute. Most chutes weighed around 10-11 lbs fitted so. You got a free 10-15 lbs or so. This was an incentive to fit and a welcome edition to a class which had a max weight requirement of only 254 lbs...with many struggling to match it.

Some of you remind me of a few times I have hopped into cars here and offended the driver by putting my seatbelt on.... because accidents never happen, well not to you anyway, right.....

What the hell? Do you even see how that reads?

Yes I do and in an unimaginative, black and white sense I understand your point. When you work as a instructor you get to fly other peoples aircraft which you have no way of knowing the real history of the aircraft. Out of around 20 engine failures I can only think of one which was the fault of the engine itself and that was with a four stroke. The majority of failures have been caused by maintenance and or installation issues. I avoid Jabirus.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

There is also the chance that ballistic chutes will give people MORE confidence to do things they ordinarily wouldn't, which is dangerous in itself."Yeah, I know it's tiger country but hey, I've got my chute...."

how many more red lights are you running now your car has got an airbag?

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Talk of people doing more stupid stuff because they have a brs and using that as a reason for not wanting people to have them is so stupid it's not funny. That is totally an attitude related problem and if a pilot thinks that way they are more likely to be taking other risks too even without the brs. So blaming a BRS for that type of behaviour is IMO an irrelevant point.

I DON'T think they should be mandated, but I think they should be encouraged.

It is one of the only things I would do different if I was building the hornet again, not so I can fly over the pilliga!!!!!!, but just for those unforeseen things like birdstrike or structural failure or even unforeseen medical events (I often fly with my children and I feel fine but I've seen people my age have strokes ect and what hope would an unknowing pax have with an out of action pilot?)

Likening them to seatbelts on motorbikes is silly. Likening them to seatbelts in a car or airbags makes sense.

They are a safety device that do have a place and with the correct training/pre takeoff briefs ect are well worth the extra few kgs.

• Agree 5

It is pretty simple IF you decide you want one, you fit one. Some people doing aeros wear parachutes. Testing new designs would be another instance where they are used.

The aircraft is usually damaged (often a write-off). That shouldn't deter you if a LIFE is at stake because you can always get another aircraft IF you are still alive. IF it is windy you might want some way of detaching it quickly after you land. The subject should be discussed fully and factually and again, I would not like to see them mandated.for quite a few reasons, one being that would bring up the question of whether or not it should have been used in a situation. Mandated fitment would have to end up considering it's use, in some legal situation eventually. Nev

• Agree 1

Likening them to seatbelts on motorbikes is silly. Likening them to seatbelts in a car or airbags makes sense.

You misunderstood.... i was likening the talk of legislating it across the board to the same type of thinking that would consider seatbelts on a motorcycle. The devices themselves I see no downside to. Just that those types of suggestions often come from Well-Meaning Concerned Parties.

But no, never meant to imply that a BRS was of any less value than it obviously is. I don't know if i would do anything "more" risky, but I would certainly do what i already do with "more" confidence.

I like winsors idea of a new class with a higher weight limit to accomodate the BRS.

• Like 2

Off Topic

They are mandated in Germany I think, you cannot fly LSA with out one.

I don't think they should be mandatory here, and I don't think people who fit them should be ridiculed by non believers in them (yes there are pilots out there that hang it on them), I used to say to them well if your going down out of control for some unfortunate reason I bet for a fleeting moment before it all goes black for you, you will be wishing you had one.

They used to say to me "but what if it doesn't work when you activate it" I used to say, well you will know the last words I ever spoke, I will be cussing "thank you BRS for allowing me to carry this anchor around for the last .... years, the other thing I used to say well if I do need it for some reason and it saves me I will be one up on you if you need it.

Alf

• Agree 4