VH-VRV

gwaf

Guest Howard Hughes

AA is always hard to pronounce in a callsign, nearly always comes out as alfalfa. Many years ago I used to fly 'alfalfapapa'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

image.jpeg.be95d1a2c704bf1470dcdf695c03ce8a.jpeg

Yes I know of Jon and his RV4, it just happens to be that a mate of mine flies an RV6 with the rego: VH-SIX based in the south west YBSN

Is this the Jon your referring to seen here in a xair std doing a ferry job

I've reserved VH-NUT for my jet. My wife says anyone would have to be one to fly in it. I say most would give their left one to fly in it.

• Haha 3

There is an immaculate Auster VH-KAZ that not only has my name but also wins most of the best Auster Awards...although mine beat it at the Auster-Short Wing flyin at Wentworth.

Kaz

• Informative 1

That does look like the John I know. John Johanson

Yep that's him remember he flew his RV to Antarctica and had alsorts of trouble buying fuel to get out of the place he's a legend in my book

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes
I've reserved VH-NUT for my jet. My wife says anyone would have to be one to fly in it. I say most would give their left one to fly in it.

Or as in "I'd give my left one for a jet"? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

actualy had a gent ring today wanting to buy our Cessna call sign ,(only the 4th in 20yrs) suited his business name he said . how much is a call sign ?????? and how much to replace? only the better half says NO.

Or as in "I'd give my left one for a jet"? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Actually, give the left one to fly in it, give both to own it... Lucky I already own it so I don't have to give anything up (except cash!!).

Guest SrPilot
I wasn't so interested in having an RV type callsign so much as one that was easy to pronounce on the radio.

I agree with "easy to pronounce" although we have a little easier go with registration numbers. In the U.S., nearly everything starts with "N" (November) and then numbers (max 5) or combo numbers (3, 4) and letters (2, 1). For my GlaStar, N63GS was the result because it was the lowest number available, and 63 is our county's license number on car tags. So I had 63 Golf Sierra ['Tuscaloosa GlaStar']. When I ordered my Aeroprakt A22LS (Foxbat in Australia), I reserved N322LS. That was the lowest "22LS" available. It works fine for the A22LS although no one seems to get the connection.

N22LS would have been better, but two-digit numbers are hard to come by now. After the first call, we can drop to '22 Lima Sierra' anyway, and sometimes to just 'Lima Sierra" depending on the controller's response. If the controller abbreviates, then we can abbreviate.

Many RVs in the USA end in RV (Romeo Victor) but certainly not all. My RV3A had the 3 numbers and the builders initials. Personally, I would never go with my initials - Juliet Charlie. Sounds like a couple on a date. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

I can say '322 Lima Sierra' easier than' 63 Golf Sierra' for some reason, but controllers stumble on both. Today they kept calling me '322 Sierra' at my home base.

• 3 months later...

Not so much the registration as a mouthful but my accent

G-CCZR in full call with a rather strong ozzie accent usually had the English in fits of laughter and the French asking me to say again 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Strangely it was the repeat of Chaaaarrrrrlllliiiiee (as they heard it) that was funny to them ... never had the same issue with G-CGMS or G-MMZG

Guest SrPilot
Strangely it was the repeat of Chaaaarrrrrlllliiiiee (as they heard it) that was funny to them ... never had the same issue with G-CGMS or G-MMZG

I would never function well with those call signs. The chaps up North cannot understand my Southern accent even with my call signs: N322LS, N420RB, N63GS (the last one I sold - Golf Sierra was tougher to say that Lima Sierra for some reason). Of course, we tend to make "1" into a three-syllable number. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif