Strangers on the deck

Guest tony.osborne

Guest tony.osborne

During WW2, either by carriage to the Theater of Operations or conducting tests for naval versions, often was possible to have the unusual sight of land-based fighters operating on aircraft carriers. I found and share with you the following link, that presents a collection of curious photos of these aircraft. Hope you enjoy.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/estranhos-sobre-o-deque.html

Cheers.

Anthony

The British Army operated Austers from tank landing barges which must have been the worlds smallest aircraft carriers.

They fitted three parallel rails above the deck and the aircraft launched from that.

I believe they also tried attaching JATO bottles to them which must have been rather exciting

Kaz

• Like 1

The British Army operated Austers from tank landing barges which must have been the worlds smallest aircraft carriers.They fitted three parallel rails above the deck and the aircraft launched from that...

Kaz

...landing back on ship would have been even more interesting.

Kaz are JATO bottles still an optional extra when I purchase my Auster?

• Like 1

...landing back on ship would have been even more interesting.Kaz are JATO bottles still an optional extra when I purchase my Auster?

You know the Army, OK...they really don't plan for a situation where anyone turns around when there is a blue on. They need the navy to do that for them.

JATO is an optional extra...bit like brakes.

Kaz

• Like 1