Excuse for speeding

Old Koreelah

The speed limit is the maximum speed allowed ." A revenue raiser " .... Try telling that to a cop that has just attended a multiple fatal involving kids , caused by a speeding driver.... Bob

True, but you can also be booked for driving to slow as it is impeding the flow of traffic.

• Agree 1

The speed limit is the maximum speed allowed ." A revenue raiser " .... Try telling that to a cop that has just attended a multiple fatal involving kids , caused by a speeding driver.... Bob

While I totally agree that speeding makes accidents worse, punishing people for being 3 Ks over is IMO stupid and if anything it just gets the people who are generally doing the right thing turned against the coppers.

My dealings with the police up here has always been favourable, I've been booked a few times but always for at least 10 Ks over which IMO is enough for me to feel honestly caught and I don't mind getting the ticket. But for anything under that is trivial and to pull the 'just attended a multiple fatal' line is insulting to someone that close to the limit.

I in no way want to detract from how much attending accidents does affect these coppers and I totally understand as I myself am a member in our local rescue squad and 'get' (not really a privilege) to attend MVA's all too regularly.

The top three causes of accidents

1. Inattention (texting and other things that cause a driver to be looking somewhere besides the road.)

2. Fatigue

3. Alcohol

Speeding and mechanical are four and five but I can never remember which way around they go.

As I said to start speed does make accidents worse but knocking people off for a couple of Ks over IMO in no way helps road safety and just further destroys driver/police relations..

• Agree 3

True, but you can also be booked for driving to slow as it is impeding the flow of traffic.

Now dazz , just because you're back in civilisation for 10 days , don't give us all a hard time ! ..... Bob 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

Dazza you're slipping.

Either slow needs a capital s being the name of a town or to needs two o's:teacher:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Friend got done for speeding today in Nevada, he was doing 102 in a 55 zone. The cop who was understanding, the road was dead straight and smooth with no traffic said he would write it up as 70 and said it's about the same cost as a parking ticket. He had hired a new 2015 Corvette. We are talking mph, (real speed).

Driving more than 15 kph slower than the posted speed limit in QLD is a fine and one demerit point.

Just a update, I was researching this and I came across a article about a woman who was fined $160 and received 1 demerit point for drving at 104 kph on the M1 between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. She was in one of the middle lanes and she was booked for driving to slow in that lane as the speed limit is 110 kph. That is what the story said.

My take on it is that she was probably booked for failing to keep left as she was only driving 6 kph below the posted limit.

• Haha 1

European heavy rigs, have speed limiters incorporated into the cruise control . You select either function. If you select speed limit, you dial in your max speed not to exceed, and just drive as hard as you want, truck won't go over the set speed, even downhill, the engine brake etc will self engage .....ALL works great.

• Informative 1