Sonex aircraft makes progress on Personal Jet

recflyer

Same, I wonder what the running costs of this aircraft are compared to a similar high performance single engine aircraft?

Specific fuel consumption for this engine is reportedly around 1.2lb/lbf/hr so at takeoff thrust (240lbf), fuel flow is probably around 290 lbs/hr which for JetA1 is 165 litres per hour. A high altitude cruise may reduce that to about half...

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

AT 44,000 Euros for the donk, you'd be better off buying an RV-8 and installing TIO-320 or similar. The SubSonex will do 240mph, the RV-8 will do 200, but on a quarter of the fuel, and for three times as far. Probably do a bit better with the turbo. And it'll be cheaper too.

• Like 1

AT 44,000 Euros for the donk, you'd be better off buying an RV-8 and installing TIO-320 or similar. The SubSonex will do 240mph, the RV-8 will do 200, but on a quarter of the fuel, and for three times as far. Probably do a bit better with the turbo. And it'll be cheaper too.

.... that's Euro 44k Plus controllers, filters, instruments Plus delivery Plus GST ... but lets face facts ... this is and never was about efficiency if cost/MPH or MPG ... its was about the fact it's a freaking JET and if you are not a very select few in an airforce this is your ONLY real chance at getting your bum in the pilots seat of your own jet.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Yup and we should all be driving Toyota Prius also.

Anyway, got to go, Myer have brown corduroy pants on sale today .....

Like Others have said, it is a JET and aerobatics rated!!! Cost and Fuel burn, if I could afford to buy and run it, who cares!!! Best thing, only 1 seat so you also get to be by yourself!!!

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
AT 44,000 Euros for the donk

Considering the kit includes the engine, I think it's fairly good value!

There's nothing difficult about flying a Jet . There's no torque reaction... but at 247 lbs thrust it's not going to roar off the ground and will use fuel at a rate you can hardly believe. Being unpressurised you have no chance of getting it's range up to anything realistic. Breathing pure oxygen is not good for you, and you need to have it for flight over 10,000' You don't necessarily have to use it. IF you smoke you will have more need of it.

After you get over the buzz , what then? Think I would prefer an occasional blast in something like an Ag Cat . Nev

There's nothing difficult about flying a Jet . There's no torque reaction... but at 247 lbs thrust it's not going to roar off the ground and will use fuel at a rate you can hardly believe. Being unpressurised you have no chance of getting it's range up to anything realistic. Breathing pure oxygen is not good for you, and you need to have it for flight over 10,000' You don't necessarily have to use it. IF you smoke you will have more need of it.After you get over the buzz , what then? Think I would prefer an occasional blast in something like an Ag Cat . Nev

It will always be a personal choice. For me, I would love being able to get up and just fly around for no real reason. Best thing, 1 seat so get to go up by yourself!! But yes, if you were intending to go somewhere on a trip, then yes not the right choice.

A few more figures.

MAX speed 174 kts Cruise 15o(ota)

Fuel 32 Gals Fuel flow 18 gph giving about One hour 40 mins to empty. You wouldn't want to taxi for long either. I think I saw something like a Bede 2 jet fly at Avalon in the 90's. I think it had even less endurance.

IF you are keen to fly a Jet..( It won't be cheap to get a full endorsement on it but you don't have to) perhaps a Citation or Lear jet might be a consideration. Spend a bit of time preparing for it (The theory) and have a pressurisation endorsement too. There's such a thing as a pressurised Turboprop Lancair. Nev

Its just like getting your $25,000 ornament out of the garage once in a while to blow the dust off it....at 60 litres and hour.....don't you just love a jet ski

Great thing too, 1 seat, guaranteed time by yourself!!

A lot less money would be a Onex with a jab 6 or maybe a 914 (not sure if it'll fit). There would be heaps of performance, single seat still and just as aerobatic. Not a jet, true but lots of performance.

A lot less money would be a Onex with a jab 6 or maybe a 914 (not sure if it'll fit). There would be heaps of performance, single seat still and just as aerobatic. Not a jet, true but lots of performance.

Are you strictly a company accountant or do you do private tax returns?

.... IT'S A JET!!

• Agree 1

A jet engine turns kerosene into a bad smell. Hasn't got the character of a big radial, and it's so easy to fly (the JET) it's for pussycats. Their ease of handling is a well kept secret. None of you will let it out will you.? Anyhow 174 knots? MAX. Not exactly supersonic is it?.

It's not really enough bang for your buck.... Believe me... You would tire of it in a week...Nev

• Agree 1

Hasn't got the character of a big radial, and it's so easy to fly (the JET) it's for pussycats. Their ease of handling is a well kept secret.

"character"; a misnomer for old dangerous pieces of crap.

Use your experiences to educate how bad things were "In the good old days" and to use the knowledge to move forward, that's what real men do.

• Informative 1

You have your idea's. I have mine.. If you fly for a challenge and real experiences not everything new does it better for you. I'm not suggesting one should fly behind radials to England. . What the hell is this REAL Men BS. Bex? Anyhow I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. Nev

Are you strictly a company accountant or do you do private tax returns?.... IT'S A JET!!

Really? I should read these posts a bit better. I was merely pointing out you can get a hell of a lot of performance from the same stable for a LOT less money. And it would sound good too - turbines are boring!