We here are not immune from scams

Russ

I recently posted an item for sale here, chap here, to and froed about buying it, decided not to ......finally, then an about face and wanted it.

Ok, I says give me your preferred PO, I shall post it COD..........yip, he's gawn. ( silly bugger me, should've waited for the inevitable bullsh!t method of him paying me ) .......o well, next time.

At least he wasn't on an oil rig in the middle of woop woop ocean , and releasing my bank details to him would make him paying me easier.........you know the spin.

Please note the post by Admin below

• Informative 2

Sorry to hear about that Russ,. . . .

You can begin to lose faith in human nature ( well. . .I do anyway. . .) so nowadays, if someone says to me "Of course I'll respect you in the morning ". . ."Your cheque's in the post. . . ." etc. . . . I tend to regard it with some cynicism. . .!

I Wonder if Australians get mail from that wonderfully, UK foreign Aid funded country Nigeria ? ? ? . . . Dave Cameron sends them millions every year. . . . . "Goodluck

We do, . . . used to get blue typewritten letters from them, riddled with grammatical errors, and an email this morning from the Nigerian High Commission for Child Aid. . . only wanted my bank account details so that they could pass on a few hundred thousand UK Pounds to their UK office, thereby avoiding VAT, . . . .

For which "excellent service" I would be paid legal expenses amounting to fifteen percent of any funds transferred,. . . their idea being to avoid UK Govt. scrutiny because the UK doesn't understand all the good we do for children in Nigeria. . . . . .

What really beats me is that there really ARE those who fall for this stuff. . . . . "Goodluck Jonathan" is the name of their president,. . . . . wonder what he does will all the aid money,. . . .ABUJA (capital city . . dunno if that's spelt correctly ) has virtually NO street lighting, and half of all their street market commerce is carried out in darkness, with the odd generator here and there,. . .we've been sending them millions for fifteen years,. . . and the Uk Gv. has just voted to continue it. . . . . ?

Anyway, that's a bit of another longwinded reply, . .sorry. . . . .

Phil

Russ, are you saying that the person is a registered user of this site? If so let me know the details.

If the person was just a visitor to the site then there isn't much I can do

Reading what you have told us, pommies must be a totally daft lot! Glad my relations got evicted,.... 220 years ago!

Blimey Mate,. . . . . you always come over as quite younger than that. . . . ?

But YES,. . . . I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there,. . . . and not just Poms ! ! !

Russ, are you saying that the person is a registered user of this site? If so let me know the details.If the person was just a visitor to the site then there isn't much I can do

He sure is registered here, ( I think ) was all done via "PM's, I know you have access to PM's ....have a read.

Thanks Russ, I don't like going into the database looking through PMs however if you can PM me his user name then I can be specific to the PMs of that one user, thanks

• Helpful 1

By the same token some people can be overly trusting, unfortunately and eventually that'll get burnt because of this.

I bought my Xcom VHF after it was advertised in Aviation Trader, and the bloke said he'd post it before the $$ had cleared into his account. As much as I was humbled by his trust, I had no qualms about waiting an extra few days to allow the payment to clear.

• Informative 1

The grammatical errors and obvious foolery is the first gate in the scammers tactic. They know that anybody gullible enough to contact them regardless is qualified for the next step on their journey.

Ok, I have looked into this and can say that after a phone conversation with the guy, the guy is a real wanker, a complete "I am" and took offense that I asked him to ring me so I could clear this up. He then went on to saying the phone call was being recorded on his dash cam etc etc etc, a real wanker

Having said this though, I have gone through the PMs and can see no where where he has provided a delivery address for the unit to be sent to. Therefore I assume the unit was not sent and thus no scam took place. There was some haggling on price as the advert said $??? 'ish rather than $??? firm. This could be seen as stuffing the seller around a bit as we do all haggle and in the end he decided not to buy the unit, again this to me is not scamming but simply a deal that could not come to an amicable conclusion between 2 parties and no scamming took place. These findings are based only on information that I have been able to ascertain at this point in time

You've missed my point.....the guy indicated he WANTED to purchase the item at my reduced price.....I then asked for PO address to send it COD.......that's when he disappeared.

There was no " stuffing around" the item was clearly priced " for sale " with $$ showing.

Somewhere on another thread I " indicated " selling the item, at an approx price. Actual word was " ish "

Re read the " PM's " his last comment is clear, he agreed to my reduced price..period. How you come to your view that a amicable conclusion was not achieved, bewilds me.

He clearly committed to the purchase. ( I'm not p!ssed the sale floundered, it will sell at some time, the yes, no, yes, and comment he bought one cheaper than mine so he would now not purchase mine......that's fine.....then come back later and commit to now buying mine.....sorry....smells fishy, possible scam...too right )

Russ, I think the word "Scam" wasn't applicable here as that indicated that users of this site can be easily scammed which I will not sit by and accept as that brings the site into disrepute and no one wants that...what happened in this case can happen anywhere that an item is for sale, it happens in every shop every single day, customers haggling with the salesman and then comes back again, haggles some more, then never seen of again. Russ, it is simply the word of Scam being associated with this site that is not correct in this case

• Agree 1

That's more appropriate term than scam

What I do when say buying a new fridge or whatever and don't have the time to haggle, I go into Harvey Norman. I am upfront to the salesman by saying "I want your 1 time only best price, and then I am going to go to The Good Guys and say the same to them and not tell them your price, who ever is the cheapest with their 1 time best price, I will buy". This gets the best price from both stores as they know there IS competition and they only get 1 shot and giving a price. Sometimes they say come back and we will better it but then I say then the price you are giving me is NOT your best price then so they lose the sale, they only get 1 chance to close the deal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Buying is easy selling is a pain. With the time you waste you would be better giving it away sometimes, and get on with your life BAN TYRE KICKERS.... I'm with Ian.. It's not a scam..

A scam goes

Parcel Tracking .

Your parcel

Wells Fargo. Bank details for refund. etc...Nev

Blimey Mate,. . . . . you always come over as quite younger than that. . . . ?But YES,. . . . I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there,. . . . and not just Poms ! ! !

Gullibility is not always necessary - there was an interesting radio program on scammers recently. This was more to do with internet dating sites. Some of these scamming operations are unbelievably well-run and target older single people in first-world countries. They string them along for ages, allowing the "relationship" to develop, and never mention money until after the target mentions the "L" word (love), even if it takes over a year. The scammers use high-quality forged documents to add to the realism. Some of the victims lose their life savings, and are too embarrassed to report the scam - some don't believe they've been scammed, even after the cops knock on their door to tell them their wire transfer which was supposed to be going to the USA was actually going to West Africa.

Sounds like the Asprin thats been emailing me about the Avocet for the the last 18 months or so , keeps telling me hes coming to do some buisines , strings you along , keeps giving dates of arival , then nothing for months , then pops up again all excited , asks for photoes , then nothing again ,

These people are nothing more than

Arswipes !

I joined up with Paypal because of their promise to refund your money if you got dudded. On a big purchase I sent them all the details first to ask if this particular purchase would be covered by that policy.

But there are scammers out there using Paypal look-alike pages. They nearly got me the first time when they said that an item I had never heard of would be debited to me unless I told them otherwise ( complete with details to prove who I was ).

Well they used my fear of being scammed against me... clever huh? I started to fill out their form before getting suspicious.

Maybe I'm too cautious. I've never actually been dudded.

I got dudded by PayPal, I submitted a complaint and the seller falsified the details in his response so PayPal found for the seller, I very sparingly use PayPal now

• Informative 1

No he changed the conditions of sale on his web site and then linked to those new conditions in the complaint, I couldn't prove that he changed them. Anyway, he is no longer in business now

A few things slip through to the keeper but overall paypal is brilliant for buyers and sellers. Especially those not particularly computer or internet savvy...

A heck of alot better than direct bank transfer where you just about have no buying protection at all and better than giving some stranger your CC details.

For those that receive an email purporting to be from paypal about a purchase that you did not make, the first thing to check is that it is (the email) addressed to you.

It should start Dear "your name". This is more likely to be genuine.

paypl.JPG.2d9d975d7c3b3b13e120d8c6c53e1166.JPG

Most scam emails I have received do not have this.

You can forward suspect emails to [email protected]

Never click on a link in a suspect email....go into your paypal acc by directly typing the address into the browser or via a confirmed secure link. You will see in your account if you have really paid for the item or not...

• Informative 1