Helmet in enclosed cockpit

peter

Probably wishful thinking but I am feeling as though I'm on the home straight constructing my Onex and am now starting to plan the "flying phase" of the project. After meeting Tony with his new Sonex I have bought and now fly routinely in a fire resistant flight suit and I am considering a helmet . Any thoughts or comments re using helmets in an enclosed cockpit, ie built in headsets, comfort, hot to wear???????

Thanks Peter

• Like 2

Ag pilots recommend we always wear a helmet. Makes sense. If you prang, your head is likely to cop a thumping and that's not a good time to be dazed and confused- or unconscious. Several aviation helmets are available. You can pay from a couple of hundred to thousands of dollars. Being a cheapskate I use my wife's old bicycle helmet, with cut-outs for the DC headset, which is bolted to the fibreglass shell. Comfortable, ventilated, safe.

• Like 2

Two things I am aware of flying with my Flycom helmets in enclosed cockpit:

1. canopy clearance - I am not overly tall in the body but can't fit comfortably under a Eurostar canopy with enough clearance without taking out all seat padding - only flew like this because I didn't have a headset on the day, only my helmet

2. heat - under the bubble canopy of the Eurostar it was too hot after half an hour of English summer - wouldn't like to try it in OZ

Pluses were of course added head protection if it went pear shaped and I find integrated headsets in a helmet a better sound excluder than just a standard headset.

• Agree 1

Hey Peter,

I used to fly my old 95:10 machine with a dual visor jet helmet.

Hot, heavy and after an hour somewhat uncomfortable but I thought looked pretty cool ha ha

I could use it again but it would probably bump the canopy on the LH side.

Have been looking around for a lighter more compact version but its not high on the priority list.

Cheers

Tony

A flying helmet is something I've seriously considered for the RV, for a couple of reasons. Protection in the case of a crash is the obvious one, but providing a measure of eye protection in the case of a birdstrike is also high on the agenda. A lot of modern sport aircraft can get along well over 150mph, some even 200mph or beyond and there's stuff-all chance a thin piece of plexi is going to withstand any sort of impact there, even small birds are likely to make it through.

Doug Reeves, head honcho at VansAirForce makes a compelling argument']compelling argument[/url] for helmet usage, taking into account where he lives, tyle of flying, etc. It's certainly something to consider, even if we do fly in an enclosed cockpit.

• Like 1

I think someone (maybe turbo) posted some info about head trauma being the most common reason of fatalities in light aircraft.....

I would like to see the RAA encourage helmet use but not make it compulsory.

Maybe the RAA could sell a helmet through their store, suitable for our use, and give a discount on membership?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Andys@coffs

Im not sure leather on its own is a great form of protection from anything other than wind.....

To me if you have to remove seat padding to make it all fit you might well end up with a safer noggin but a more damaged spine..... I believe the seat cushioning is an essential element of the +G absorption/dissipation....If it isn't there then your spine has to do it.

Andy

Guest Howard Hughes
Im not sure leather on its own is a great form of protection from anything other than wind.....

They are hard shelled leather (US style), not soft shelled (British style)! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

The Campbell aero helmets are great, but you have to sell your first born to be able to afford one.

Dazza is right - the Campbell Aero helmets ( made locally here in Canterbury, New Zealand) are quite famous - sold to warbird jockeys and open cockpit pilots all round the world - but they cost - around US$2000 last I heard.

• Caution 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Dazza is right - the Campbell Aero helmets ( made locally here in Canterbury, New Zealand) are quite famous - sold to warbird jockeys and open cockpit pilots all round the world - but they cost - around US$2000 last I heard.

At 15 litres an hour, that's a lot of flying! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif