• Doesn't worry me
    • I don't like it

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you using a mobile phone? Do you now have a light blue row across the top of the site? If so then you are using a screen size smaller than 630 pixels high and thus on the mobile site view. If this is correct then the Mark Read is a button in the slide out menu and it would look like this:

5.jpg.b4289e2d2ffa1269b0efece21d590ef9.jpg

Also you may be interested to know that there are some big things coming to the site which would not have been possible with the old menu system, in fact two of them are sections whose impact on the site will be as big as the forums are. These will turn the site from a forum web site into a whole incredible online experience for all recreational aviators. One of the sections will probably cost as much as $10,000 to include. Other things coming are Aviation Quizzes (being coded at the moment), Keyword Links (in concept stage), Single Registration/Login between Recreational Flying and Clear Prop (the aviation shop is coming back and the coding is being started this week by an outside developer), Articles System (will replace the News Section and the software for this is in BETA stage), plus many other things that will even leverage off the inbuilt functionality of a mobile phone and tablet but an extra to PC. One of the two new big section will be an incredible valuable tool that you will use whilst flying.

All of the future would not be possible with the old systems which is why I hope you can understand why we had to change the menu system to make room for what's coming.

No mobile phone Ian just my laptop on w8.1. Dont own a smart phone.

Across the top I have the three stripes in the corner then the email thingy then the red flag a pic of the world and a up arrow?

Bernie.

plus my avatar

No mobile phone Ian just my laptop on w8.1. Dont own a smart phone.Across the top I have the three stripes in the corner then the email thingy then the red flag a pic of the world and a up arrow?

Bernie.

plus my avatar

Thanks Berni, so you are using the mobile screen menu system which means that you have a vertical screen size of less than 630 pixels. The site is designed for the standard 1024x768 screen resolution with the ability to have your browser menu bar, tab bar, address bar and favourites/Bookmarks bar across the top. If you are running the 1024x768 and have any more bars that take up screen height making the screen less than 630 high then the mobile menu will display.

Screen size is the only way to trigger the mobile menu so the site can be used better on mobile devices.

I would:

1. Check the screen resolution of your laptop screen making sure it is 1024x768 or greater

2. If it is then check how many tool/menu bars you have on your web browser and try and only have a max of 4 bars and the browser in full screen:

1.jpg.cef619079521d4e5879a173b69e53010.jpg

3. If any of the above doesn't work it means that you are using a very small screen size, a smaller screen resolution than standard or you are using a screen magnification higher than standard.

I would be interested to know which is the case Bernie if you could let me know

Your going to have to tell me where all these things you want me to check are Ian...I don't know.

Was working before you fixed things that weren't broke?

And if that's the problem do I then have trouble with other forums I belong too.

Bernie.

After working with Bernie to find a reason for his trouble I have been able to ascertain an issue with the new menu system. It basically comes down to screen size. There has to be a point where the column menu switches over to mobile menu view.

Now standard development is always done for 1024x768 resolution screens but then some users have many different toolbars being displayed in their web browser which also makes the useable screen size lower in height.

The column menu requires "X" pixels in height to display properly

A mobile phone may have the height but not the width to have valuable screen real estate taken up by a column

The issue is getting the ultimate width and height to switch between the two

So with phones like the iPhone 6s and Samsung Note, they have the real estate in horizontal view for a column but not the height etc

I have removed the new menu system for the time being as I need to review how I have done this and see if I can come up with a correct switch over dimension but if not, I need to explore other solutions to make this workable for the very few users that seem to have strange screen resolutions with available screen real estate of their PC...please stay tuned

• Like 1

Ok, let's try again. I believe I have fixed the display issue with the switching between mobile view menu and column menu view. I have also changed the New icon from a Globe to text to make it clearer to understand. NOTE, the New (24hrs) is still a link in the forums sub as it has always been.

Please check it out and report any issues now, thanks

To access the New Menu system, click the "Default Style" link in the bottom left corner of the footer, then click the "Menu Test" option, do the reverse to switch back to "Default View"

I believe I have fixed the new menu system and site style.

What you should be seeing is:

1. On a PC or Tablet:

1.jpg.b5d85223f0c14fcb918acf1439564b38.jpg

2. On a Mobile Phone:

2.jpg.eff346aaaea386147a9db32912e6ab1a.jpg

The What's New and What's New (24hrs) are still there except they are now called New and New (24hrs).

1. The New is accessed by the New Icon across the top of a Mobile Phone and on a PC or Tablet, the bold text New in the menu column

2. The New (24hrs) is accessed when in the Forums Section on a Mobile Phone by tapping the Hamburger Icon (3 horizontal bars) and tapping the New (24hrs) button. On a PC or Tablet, click/tap the "New 24(hrs)" link in the menu column.

- Changed

The "New" is now New Forum Posts over the last 21 days up to a maximum of 200. The reason for this is:

1. The "What's New" was limited to 200 new posts

2. The "What's New 24hrs" was limited to 1 day but also showed what you have already read

These two have now been combined to show you what you have and haven't read up to 200 posts (i.e. not limited to 24rs and not limited to only what you haven't read)

Please report any issues that you may be having especially if you are not seeing the correct menu system for the device you are using, thanks

Hi Ian,

I can't get the menu down the RH side, in either test menu or default (screen shot is test). The menu (3 bar) does a full screen - I preferred the pull out menu that took up a small area. Using Win 7 professional 64 bit, Firefox, laptop, 17" screen, resolution 1600 x 900, on painfully slow internet connection (sometimes does not draw the screens properly eg text only listed down LHS). You remarked before that I had some strange real estate, so it might only be me.

Sue

upload_2015-3-2_13-53-38.png.243bce426ff727627404344dc10bfd49.png

Sue, the switch over point between column menu and mobile menu is 600 pixels high. Looking at the screen shot that seems to be over the 600px so it should be showing the column menu. Do you know how to do a pixel count on a screen shot? Do a print screen and paste it in MS Paint. Then move the image so the top of the mobile menu is at the top thus removing the browser address bar etc components, Next crop the bottom of the image to remove the windows start bar. This leaves just the real estate of the site in the MS Paint picture. Now go to MS Paint File -> Properties and see what the height of the image is and let me know. If it is 600px or more than try refreshing the screen with Ctl-F5, or clear the browser cache

Hi Ian,

Further to the above. I just reduced my screen font size (ctl - / +) - a menu slid out from the LH side and remained there through the range of smaller sizes, but disappears when I enlarge past a certain point. Screen shot from Test menu, as above but with a few Ctl - clicks. Looks like I have solved my problem.

upload_2015-3-2_14-10-10.png.bfd4c84ec0eefe1387bc6512187039f4.png

I have just replicated your issue and your screen size height is 590px. Let me see if I can reduce the height switch over point without the issues of iPhone 6 as Apple try to set the rules for the whole internet like MS use to do until they learnt

Try that now Sue, and if anyone using a mobile phone is seeing the column menu instead of the Mobile Top Row menu, PLEASE let me know, thanks

Hi Ian,

Did as suggested in Paint and I get 790pixels (down from 900). I did a refresh - the menu is still on the LHS as before. I lose it at 133% zoom and get it back again at 120% zoom. The 790 pixels I am not sure about as the image appeared stretched, as though it had lost aspect (ie got higher but not wider). I am happy with what I have, no need to upset the phone users.

The "What's New" and "What's New (24hrs)" have now been combined and accessible by clicking/tapping the "New" link.

The "What's New (24hrs)" was limited to only 24hrs but showed both what you have and haven't read

The "What's New" was limited to 200 posts and only what you haven't read.

So I have removed those limitations and combined them into one link.

The "New" link shows ALL the posts you have READ and NOT READ up to a limit of 200. The best of both worlds in one single link accessible in the sticky menu from no matter where you are on the site

The "What's New" and "What's New (24hrs)" have now been combined and accessible by clicking/tapping the "New" link.

The "What's New (24hrs)" was limited to only 24hrs but showed both what you have and haven't read

The "What's New" was limited to 200 posts and only showed what you haven't read.

So I have removed those limitations and combined them into one link.

The "New" link shows ALL the posts you have READ and NOT READ up to a limit of 200 instead of just 24hrs. The best of both worlds in one single link "New" accessible in the sticky menu from no matter where you are on the site

• Like 2