• Doesn't worry me
    • I don't like it

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you got scripts turned off or something? What operating system and web browser including versions are you running?

You should be seeing this:

1.jpg.8f7c651215d7caf58148b4f9d8282706.jpg

And it has been tested in the current versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari and is working ok so something strange is going on with your setup which I would like to get to the bottom of. Feel free to give me a ring on 03 9444-8025

The poll is showing 12 users don't like the new menu system. I have worked with a few of them to correct any issues (you can change your vote) but it looks like all issues have been resolved dues to there no longer being posts advising of an issue. So I can make sure that there are no more issues, can you please post here if you are finding one...thanks

Ian, every time I look at the logo on the right side of the Rec Flying banner, I see an upside-down speedboat sitting on top of an aircraft. I assume it's just a distorted view of the wing, but it just doesn't look right (to me anyway). Maybe you could use Bex's avatar instead? I like that.

rgmwa

Probably just me. I think it's the small size of the photo on the banner that makes it look odd. It's not obvious in the large photo that you cut it from because the detail in the wing is much more obvious. I still like Bex's avatar though - it's funny and non-denominational.

Regards

rgmwa

• 2 weeks later...

When first developing the concept of the new menu system I put as much thought into it as possible, scrubbing many different alternatives in the design process until I came up with the one we have now. You can only do so much designing and thought not really knowing whether it is the correct way to go until you have used it for some time which becomes the real test.

Now after moving to Canberra I have had to use my phone and tablet more but also my 27inch PC screen and I can say that I absolutely love it. On the phone it is so much more convenient and fast, on the tablet, a 12inch Samsung Galaxy Note Pro, it is so convenient, quick and easy to use whilst holding the tablet. On the PC it looks and works perfectly, I have it on the right side of the screen, and it looks like it is in its right place with everything I need.

Personally I am very very happy with it and it is better than I thought it would be. I am saying this after using it for a while over several devices now and just want to say that I hope you are all happy with it. If there is any one negative with it is that maybe it puts the extra sections/functions of the site out of view with the main menu slider on a PC but perhaps I could look at changing that to contain the sub menu items and have the main sections in the column, sometime down the track.

Hope you are finding the new menu system an advantage when using the site

I still have problems with the site on my nexus 7, the click area is about 30% larger than the font

A part of the design process requirements was to find ways to irritate Fly Tornado as much as possible

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2
  • Helpful 1

• 7 months later...

It has now been 8 months running with the new overall site menu system. The menu system was a radical change to the standard menu systems found on forum sites however I personally believe it is much more intuitive not only on a PC but very much so on a mobile device i.e. phones and tablets.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts on it like have you got use to it, is it more intuitive than the standard horizontal menu, have you found it helpful on mobile devices, do you know of any bugs with it...etc etc etc, any comments at all, good or bad...this site is designed and managed with you, the user, 100% in mind so thanks in advance for any comments you can provide.

Ian I find the search button hard to find. I know it is right at the top of the menu page but I always forget that and go searching elsewhere. It would be good to have it on every top bar if you could. Otherwise the site is great as it is.

The top bar below the banner says Home>forums if I am on the forums page. It would be useful to search forums from that page. It would be useful to search forums from every forum page, because I often read something and think that I have read something about that in another thread, so I could go to the top of the page and search forums by key word. I know it is probably just as easy to go to the Menu page but I hardly ever use that and forget it is there. I just open the site and click new to see what interests me each day.

Ian, two small things. I don't get New(21 days) on the menu bar on my Android tablet, and on my PC, when reading a news item from the Home page, I have to scroll through a long blank page to get to "Continue reading.." Would it be possible to make this link floating, to just below any page content, rather than bottom of page? When you close the new tab, you then have to scroll back up the blank page to read the next item.

Otherwise, the menu system is great.

Great feedback so far...regarding the search, the top bar you are referring to is the breadcrumb. On the right of the breadcrumb is a quick navigation button. Perhaps I could look at replacing that with the search magnifying glass that when clicked/tapped, the search dropdown shows as I dont think anyone uses the quick nav anyway.

The only negative is that the quick search function will be fixed at the top and not be accessible anywhere down the page through the slide out menu, you would have to scroll to the top or bottom to access the quick search

It's in the sidebar on every page.[ATTACH=full]38953[/ATTACH]

Ok ... I don't see the left hand sidebar on my computer. So the Search is OK on the iPad but I think only accessible from the top left hand box (3 horizontal bars) on my computer screen.

• 1 month later...

Here is an interesting metric...the idea behind the new menu system was that I believed the use of mobile devices was increasing and the old menu system wasn't very user friendly on mobile devices so I had to come up with a menu system that was as good on a PC as it was on a mobile device and I think it worked as the assumptions I made about the increased use of mobile devices was correct.

Here is a screen shot of the metrics on the use of PCs and mobile devices...it is now coming out at around 50% split between the two:

10.jpg.598e883f297de0fd7b35bd7f43478501.jpg

This change to the site in not only the menu system but also the complete redesign using Responsive Design was a bold move but I think it was right in doing it

• Like 2