Legend

cscotthendry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hope she arrives in good shape. the waiting must be like time standing still. Nev

Yes, the days pass like treacle running uphill in winter! I expect it should arrive in good condition. I looked closely at the packing and tiedown and it is pretty clever and minimal. It is secured by rigid holds at the nosewheel axle, horizontal stab mount and main wing mount. In addition to that it is strapped down over the main gear legs and on the noswheel leg. The wings are mounted to the boards that support the cabin area at the wing mount, and at the other end by a purpose made mount that secures the tail and supports the ends of the wings. With minimum materials, they have secured the airplane quite well IMHO.

• Like 3

G'day Scott,

Lovely looking plane.

Let's hope it doesn't travel like my mates trike did out from the states, I think it spent 6 weeks going all over the place then arriving back in Florida the place of departure and getting offloaded again, finally made it's way out to Oz quite later than expected, also had hidden costs when customs of a port opened the container at a cost of $1,000 dollars.

Yeah my mate wasn't all that impressed with the shipping

Alf

• Agree 1

G'day Scott,Lovely looking plane.

Let's hope it doesn't travel like my mates trike did out from the states, I think it spent 6 weeks going all over the place then arriving back in Florida the place of departure and getting offloaded again, finally made it's way out to Oz quite later than expected, also had hidden costs when customs of a port opened the container at a cost of $1,000 dollars.

Yeah my mate wasn't all that impressed with the shipping

Alf

You really know how to cheer a guy up.

• Agree 2

Alf:

Thanks for that encouraging reply ... NOT.

Anyway, it will be what it will be. Eventually it will get here and all those extra charges are factored in already. I know that once your goods are in the hands of the shipping companies, they do as they please. I just hope my airplane doesn't do a round the world cruise, but I have no say, so I just have to go and do something else till it arrives.

I watched my container go down the east coast of the US, across the Atlantic, stop at Spain then onto Italy, 2 weeks on shore, then down to the Maldives across to Perth, stops in Melbourne and Sydney, change of ships and up to Brisbane.

So Scott is it coming into Brisbane. The likely hood is that the container will be transhipped in Singapore anyway. Most containers ex Europe are.

Geoff:

No, it will come in via Sydney to be assembled at the dealer's home airfield which is Cessnock. Then my wife and I will fly it home. The best part is we can make it from Cessnock to Watts Bridge without having to refuel.

Alf:Thanks for that encouraging reply ... NOT.

Anyway, it will be what it will be. Eventually it will get here and all those extra charges are factored in already. I know that once your goods are in the hands of the shipping companies, they do as they please. I just hope my airplane doesn't do a round the world cruise, but I have no say, so I just have to go and do something else till it arrives.

Scott

I hope you are aware that what I posted was no way meant to put a dampener on your pride and joy

Was just giving you a heads up of the dramas my mate had getting his bird shipped over from the states

Alf

My Skylark was in a box on the high seas when the Pasha Bulka ( sp?) ran aground near Newcastle. Of course this reason for plenty of "mates" to try to stir me about the Skylark being on that ship even though I knew it wasn't. That's what we pay insurance for.

• Like 1

What is the range on a Legend?

Thoroughly impractical, the handling fees at the airports along the route alone would add up to far too much compared to the crating and shipping costs, but the romantic in me imagines just flying something like that home.

• Agree 1

What is the range on a Legend?Thoroughly impractical, the handling fees at the airports along the route alone would add up to far too much compared to the crating and shipping costs, but the romantic in me imagines just flying something like that home.

Not exactly sure at this stage what the range would be, but...

Ours has the 130L fuel tank option. If you subtract 15L for a 45 min reserve, that leaves 115L for flight time. The manufacturer is claiming 115Kt cruise, but I'm going to estimate 105Kt at something like 5,000RPM. At that RPM, my 100HP Nynja used to burn about 16-17L/Hr. That gives 6-3/4Hr endurance at 105Kt gives a range of 710NM (around 1,400 Klm). All very rough and ready figuring, but reasonably conservative I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, our new toy has arrived! It still doesn't have wings yet, ther were some minor issues in shipping and some small mods to be made here, but things are progressing and we're happy as pigs ...

image.jpg.e0f17916b177daa443233a3ff5c70f74.jpg

From left to right: Ed Smith, Greg Doyle, Legend of Kitty Hawk, and me.

Shameless plug: we are delighted with the services of Ed and Greg from Silent Wings and the quality of our new Aeropilot Legend.

• Like 2