Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC. . . .

Phil Perry

When the current government does anything positive, it'll be reported. Just hasn't happened yet.

The reason Hamster Wheel, Mad as Hell, the Roast, etc etc poke so much fun at the libs is because the libs provide them with sooo much material. And I remember some pretty apt Gillard/Rudd sketches with Rudd dressed up as the Phantom of the Opera circling round to stab Gillard in the back.

As for my signature... if you were able to convince the LNP back bench to say what they really think, I'm sure a fair few of them would agree with it!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he actually hit this producer he just made gestures or maybe had a pretend swing at him... bloody sooks......that's why I like him..he not your normal upper class POM..well he more like an Aussie...he swears he doesn't seem to care about who you are he will just tell you straight and if you piss him off he will tell you so and you never know he may just hit you..I just think there are to many nancy's around these days, because you swear at them or get upset with them they run to Mummy and complain or take their bat and ball and run and hide.... they are basicly all pussys or do gooders...for God sake bloody toughen up a bit...I hope they do get rid of him and then as Phil says he can go a commercial channel and carry on regardless..stiff upper lips and all of the gosh...Like May said..he's a knob but I like him...love it.. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

David

• Like 1

I hope ABC isn't suffering from the same malaise

Yes they are, but maybe not quite as bad and it is unacceptable for a tax payer funded organisation. One thing is painfully obvious ALP supporters love them.

Yes they are, but maybe not quite as bad and it is unacceptable for a tax payer funded organisation. One thing is painfully obvious ALP supporters love them.

Where else would you go for balanced reporting? News Limited? I think the only reason people think the ABC leans to the left is because the Murdoch press leans so far to the right. If you were under the mistaken impression that they were unbiased, then of course anything balanced looks left-leaning.

• Informative 1

Where else would you go for balanced reporting? News Limited? I think the only reason people think the ABC leans to the left is because the Murdoch press leans so far to the right. If you were under the mistaken impression that they were unbiased, then of course anything balanced looks left-leaning.

The comments have been about TV programs and I have not seen any stations that I think lean to the right. Of course we all know which way you lean hence the ABC support.

• Caution 1

The comments have been about TV programs and I have not seen any stations that I think lean to the right. Of course we all know which way you lean hence the ABC support.

You don't watch Fox news then...

The reason I support ABC is because it's news service is in-depth and critical (two things the commercial stations, by and large, aren't; they're more "infotainment" than real news). Plus they've usually got better quality shows in general than the commercial channels - many from the BBC - with the big bonus that there's no ads every 5 minutes.

Perhaps you'd care to give some concrete examples of left-leaning bias in the ABC's reporting?

• Informative 1

I don't think he actually hit this producer he just made gestures or maybe had a pretend swing at him... bloody sooks......that's why I like him..he not your normal upper class POM..well he more like an Aussie...he swears he doesn't seem to care about who you are he will just tell you straight and if you piss him off he will tell you so and you never know he may just hit you..I just think there are to many nancy's around these days, because you swear at them or get upset with them they run to Mummy and complain or take their bat and ball and run and hide.... they are basicly all pussys or do gooders...for God sake bloody toughen up a bit...I hope they do get rid of him and then as Phil says he can go a commercial channel and carry on regardless..stiff upper lips and all of the gosh...Like May said..he's a knob but I like him...love it.. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifDavid

who is more Australian than Jeremy Clarkson?

You don't watch Fox news then...The reason I support ABC is because it's news service is in-depth and critical (two things the commercial stations, by and large, aren't; they're more "infotainment" than real news). Plus they've usually got better quality shows in general than the commercial channels - many from the BBC - with the big bonus that there's no ads every 5 minutes.

Perhaps you'd care to give some concrete examples of left-leaning bias in the ABC's reporting?

No I don't watch fox news. No can not give an actual example as I have stopped watching most ABC stuff but I remember being unimpressed with Q and A.

• Informative 1

Hi Marty,Speaking as a Pom it is quite a common expression in the UK, usually associated with gentlemen of a thespian persuasion....here is a definition I found from the Oxford English Dictionary on the web which seems to be in line with my understanding :-

"In British use, luvvie is a humorously depreciative term for an actor, especially one regarded as effusive or affected. The reference is to a stereotype of thespians habitually addressing people as ‘lovey’. When the OED revised its entry for lovey in 2008, this sense, which had by then become established in the variant spelling luvvie, was made a separate entry."

Cheers,

Neil

Bejeezers, couldn't the entry just read "poofters"?

• Haha 2
  • Winner 1

I just think the 3 of them just gel together if you take Clarkson off the show it would just be another car show..mostly boring..like the other Top Gear shows around the world..David

There is a couple of specials done by the Hamster and May only, doesn't really gel. But to be fair, when any of the trio are missing it's noticeable, just more so when Clarkson isn't there.

For those who don't know, Clarkson is paid half a million pounds for each episode.

• Informative 1

There is a couple of specials done by the Hamster and May only, doesn't really gel. But to be fair, when any of the trio are missing it's noticeable, just more so when Clarkson isn't there.For those who don't know, Clarkson is paid half a million pounds for each episode.

Half a million pounds per episode....I think he can afford to retire or do whatever the hell he wants too...I would tell the BBC to shove it where the sun doesn't shine..114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

• Agree 1

There must be a language mismatch between English English and Australian English... what's "luvvvie" mean??I can't speak to the management structure of the BBC but they've certainly produced some brilliant shows over the years.

Yes Marty,. . .I think we are divided by a commonish language ! ! "Luvvie" was ( so I am told ! ) a pleasantry, rather like the word "Mate" shared by pseudo effeminate "celebrities" and leftie "Managers" at the Beeb, and in many other parts of the entertainment media during the seventies, . . .( Richard Attenborough was famous for it's use in later life, though whether he was effeminate, I'm not really sure, but he DID have a wicked sense of humour too ) Not having a go at those of the effeminate persuasion by the way, just explaining it technically ( Phew,. . .don't want to upset anybody,. . .it's a minefield when you start straying from nuts and bolts speech these days,. . .don't want to get tarred with the same brush as that vagabond larrikin Clarkson. . . )

The BBC HAVE been responsible for some utterly SUPERB programmes over the years Marty, but over the last couple, they have gone visibly down the hill somewhat,. . .their output over the Christmas holiday period jsut gone amounted to 87 percent repeats. That's not really good value for our £145 per annum BBC tax really,. . . . we'll have to see what Poldark turns out like,. . . the actors are apparently incapable of reproducing a Cornish accent, so comments on the first episode have been a bit mixed, with some of the actors sounding like Welsh Pakistanis . . . . I hope they start spending a little more on quality drama, as their news output is really not worth a damn. . . . too much left wing poilitical spin. . . .

Hammond is the one who gives the show depth. His interview with EveL Knievel was something none could have done better. Jeremy has had a MULTITUDE of final warnings at the beeb. He apparently had a swing at the bloke concerned. I find his treatment of the subject a bit "deliberately DUMB" and sometimes irritating for that reason.The BBC are not pulling the show as such It's not fully produced yet but the series has been sold in advance. You are looking at about 7 or 8 of the 10 being available. ( they might be able to conjure up the missing ones of material on file)..The BBC will endure some considerable loss of reputation and money. Figures for the TOTAL value of the series are about 50 mill, (so I'm to believe) Nev.

I agree that Hammond is good Nev, both on and off Top Gear,. . . does some excellent presenting on other shows away from motoring, as does James May,. . . I like him, not just because he flies a Luscombe Silvaire taildragger to work sometimes, but the last show he did about robots and artificial intelligence was very well presented and edited.

And I can tell you that Clarkson has got on very well with the producer he didn't actually punch, Oisin, pronounced O Shan. . . ( he's Irish ) they've been working together all over the globe for some years like a big family. Yes I agree Clarkson can often be abrasive and totally politically incorrect, this is deliberate. If the Beeb really want to get rid of him, his only regret will be worrying about what the top gear crew will do for work afterward, because anybody in the crew even HINTS that they are on his side, they will be down at the jobcentre very quickly. . .that is the nature of the Beeb management. As for reputation, they only have one with a very large number of the viewing public, and it isn't good. By the way, he has had one final warning, after the eeny meeny miney incident, which was not broadcast anyway.

Having said all of the above I DO hope that JC pulls his head in a bit, ( though I doubt it. . .) and that Aunty Beeb let this blow over. I don't want to watch a revamped TG on another channel, interspersed with ten minute ad breaks. . .but that's just me being selfish ! ! )

Phil

Hi Marty,Speaking as a Pom it is quite a common expression in the UK, usually associated with gentlemen of a thespian persuasion....here is a definition I found from the Oxford English Dictionary on the web which seems to be in line with my understanding :-

"In British use, luvvie is a humorously depreciative term for an actor, especially one regarded as effusive or affected. The reference is to a stereotype of thespians habitually addressing people as ‘lovey’. When the OED revised its entry for lovey in 2008, this sense, which had by then become established in the variant spelling luvvie, was made a separate entry."

Cheers,

Neil

Geez Neil. . . . . . I wish I could articulate stuff as goodly as wot you do !. . . . then I wouldn't wear out my keyboard as much. . . . . Thanks for putting it in a very well ellucidated nutshell Sir.

Phil

Half a million pounds per episode....I think he can afford to retire or do whatever the hell he wants too...I would tell the BBC to shove it where the sun doesn't shine..114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

That means,. . .shove it ANYWHERE in the British Isles then. . .?

• Haha 3

When the current government does anything positive, it'll be reported. Just hasn't happened yet.The reason Hamster Wheel, Mad as Hell, the Roast, etc etc poke so much fun at the libs is because the libs provide them with sooo much material. And I remember some pretty apt Gillard/Rudd sketches with Rudd dressed up as the Phantom of the Opera circling round to stab Gillard in the back.

As for my signature... if you were able to convince the LNP back bench to say what they really think, I'm sure a fair few of them would agree with it!

Er,. . . . .you don,t think they might confuse the word ELEVATOR with one of them lift type things would they, thereby missing the aviation In-jocularity ?

Geez Neil. . . . . . I wish I could articulate stuff as goodly as wot you do !. . . . then I wouldn't wear out my keyboard as much. . . . . Thanks for putting it in a very well ellucidated nutshell Sir.Phil

No problem, guvner - that's wot comes of avin a grammar school ejoocation in Sarfend!

• Like 1