Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC. . . .

Phil Perry

Phil, I'm a bit of a motor nut, but for quite a while now I have been a bit ambivalent about "TOP GEAR". Driving cheap decrepit ex Classic cars to destruction or floating Triumph Heralds across a lake and smashing caravans doesn't do it for me. Motorsport is dumbed down like most things. (Even Airshows) We are less stupid than most producers think. Less smoke and fireworks and demolition Derbys and more real talent. Nev

• Agree 2

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, I'm a bit of a motor nut, but for quite a while now I have been a bit ambivalent about "TOP GEAR". Driving cheap decrepit ex Classic cars to destruction or floating Triumph Heralds across a lake and smashing caravans doesn't do it for me. Motorsport is dumbed down like most things. (Even Airshows) We are less stupid than most producers think. Less smoke and fireworks and demolition Derbys and more real talent. Nev

I was a bit disappointed with the episode where they took three cars and tried to cross a mountain range ( couple of years ago, can't recall the country. . .) they were already suffering the effects of oxygen depletion, and to make it across the pass, they would have needed to climb another four thousand feet,. . . . .Clarkson certainly wouldn't have made it,. . .heavy smokers are usually at the equivalent altitude of around five thousand feet when they are at sea level,. . . they didn't, as the vehicles wouldn't take it either. . . . some of the shows ARE daft,. . . and I concur with your comments re dumbing it down. Apparently, the producers rely upon viewer feedback, and if the punters want more "Crossing India during the Monsoon" or whatever, then that's what they inevitably get. More slapstic comedy than serious motoring.

Phil

• Agree 1

Loved the one with the German girl punting the Transit van at great speed with skill around the Nurbergring or someplace. I thought she was going to join the team? Too GOOD perhaps? Nev

• Agree 1

Loved the one with the German girl punting the Transit van at great speed with skill around the Nurbergring or someplace. I thought she was going to join the team? Too GOOD perhaps? Nev

Yes Nev,. . .it WAS the Nurburgring,. . . . .and she wrung that Trannie van's neck, and pushed it around it in, I think Fifteen seconds quicker than JC did . . . he seemed suitably impressed at the time ! ! ! ( not ) but she was a native of the course, and had encyclopaedic knowledge of it. . . .rather like the bikies who win the Isle of Man TT,. . .you really DO have to LEARN every centimetre of the track to have even a tiny chance of being a world beater on them, times in tenths of a second. . .? I guess this goes for a lot of circuits. Anyway, can't suddenly add a new presenter to an established show. . .( Especially a GIRL ! ! ) . . . there used to be a rumour that the original "Stig" was female, . . .this ran for quite a while, until some wag outed the bloke !

Phil

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with the episode where they took three cars and tried to cross a mountain range ( couple of years ago, can't recall the country. . .) they were already suffering the effects of oxygen depletion, and to make it across the pass, they would have needed to climb another four thousand feet,. . . . .Clarkson certainly wouldn't have made it,. . .heavy smokers are usually at the equivalent altitude of around five thousand feet when they are at sea level,. . . they didn't, as the vehicles wouldn't take it either. . . . some of the shows ARE daft,. . . and I concur with your comments re dumbing it down. Apparently, the producers rely upon viewer feedback, and if the punters want more "Crossing India during the Monsoon" or whatever, then that's what they inevitably get. More slapstic comedy than serious motoring.Phil

I think they were trying to get across some mountains in Patagonia in South America..maybe that was an area not a country...Chile I think? Was that the story with Hammond forgetting to put the handbrake on the old Tojo and it rolling and then crashing down the hill..that was funny...there been some very funny episodes...I like their format on the show, some info on cars etc but then you have the humourous side..if you didn't have the humour it would be boring I think...

David

• Agree 2

My favourite episode is the one where they challenge the German Top Gear equivalents (or actually it was the other way round...), anyway the 3 Brits arrive in 3 Spitfires! Gotta love it. Here is a short clip of their arrival. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 3

Sabine is one of the most famous car associated females in the World and one of a handful of recognised Nurburgring Experts. She already has her own TV show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

• Informative 2

Er,. . . . .you don,t think they might confuse the word ELEVATOR with one of them lift type things would they, thereby missing the aviation In-jocularity ?

The meaning's the same, even if the equipment is different...

There used to be a girl who had a great personality and was a brilliant driver in my old go-cart club, she didn't know much mechanically, but got plenty of offers to tickle her carburetor.

She managed to swell the number of members in the club, which was much needed at the time.

Marty, VH-LNP's a Robinson R22 with no elevator, but still goes up and down

Fixed Planey. Apologies to Matthew Kucks of QLD for borrowing the registration of his Cessna 140. I'll change my signature to something else soon, Tony making a dick of himself is so common now that it's not worth commenting on.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

you know who would really make top gear perfect?#notaracist

Actually FT,. . .Nige isn't that interested in automobiles, . . .so he said at the Hen and Chickens last week when we had a pint with him,. . . .and he really isn't a racist either,. . .dunno where you got that from cobber. . . .No,. . .my mate "Norman "The Brit" could be thus described ( if you are of the Muslim persuasion of course ) but, as per usual, being non political,. . .I have no opinion on the subject,. . .perhaps you should make up your own mind. . . .https://dotsub.com/media/72457cbc-fe18-4053-ae3f-6c7639cf4e79/embed/

Pip pip . . . .

Phil

IT'S A JET!!

Bex. . . . I think all that foggy Chinese air has got to your brain mate. . . .it's turning you into a bloody miserable Git. . . . LISTEN. . .ANYTHING is better in England,. . . than watching Eastenders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street OR WORSE,. . .BBC NEWS output mate .! ! . . .I think I'm going to suggest changing your forum name to "BEXUSEDTOBEBETTER. .. ." !. . .I might be travelling to China next year,. . .I NEED A SERIOUS WORD with you my boy. . . . .

• Haha 2

Yikes. I'd rather be called bro. That talk sounds like a lot of closet poofs. (I'm not trying to be unkind). Since it's used by English actors (many of whom I regard as world's best) perhaps there is a subtle connection. Nev

"Subtle" Nev. . .? ? . . .err,. . . . can you think of an opposite word / meaning for "Subtle",. . . . this might get closer to describe our "Thesps" and their accolytes. . . . . .

Just saying,. . . . . ( I hate that phrase,. . .wish I hadn't typed it. . . .)

Phil

• Informative 1

My favourite episode is the one where they challenge the German Top Gear equivalents (or actually it was the other way round...), anyway the 3 Brits arrive in 3 Spitfires! Gotta love it. Here is a short clip of their arrival. Enjoy!

I hadn't seen this episode...what a classic...I love it when the guy's prosthetic arm comes off and is clamped onto the wheel. Just imagine you and 2 of your mates in those spitfires doing some low level.

• Agree 1

who is more Australian than Jeremy Clarkson?

Interesting comment . . . . in a magazine article some time ago, JC said ( referring to a visit to the UK by the Australian Topgear presenters ) that he gleaned from pub conversations with them that Mr. "Modern Aussie Bloke " had changed drastically from the archetypal brash, tough, no nonsense type we all love on the telly. . . . into "Clean shaven Men who were in touch with their feminine side, and who could do wonderful things in the kitchen with some salmon and a handful of sliced zucchini. . . ." ( actual JC quote ) Dunno if he was actually having a dig at the Aust. TG chaps, or whether it was a general thing . . . I'll wager that you could probably put me right on this though FT . . . . .

Wow what a racist thing to say, the thought police will be knocking on your door any moment.

R A C I S T Teck ? ? ? ? ? ? . . . .shouldn't that be "GENDERSWAPPIST" . . . I've met a few thesps in my short life, and whilst it DOES appear that a lot of them might well be uphill gardeners ( nowt wrong with that of course,. . .whatever blows yer frock up. . .) I think that most of it is a big put on. . . . as it wouldn't help them to fit in, if they appeared too butch. . . . . I mean,. . .all those poor Shakespearian thesps having to wear tights and stuff,. . . . oh dear.

Phil

• Like 1

Interesting comment . . . . in a magazine article some time ago, JC said ( referring to a visit to the UK by the Australian Topgear presenters ) that he gleaned from pub conversations with them that Mr. "Modern Aussie Bloke " had changed drastically from the archetypal brash, tough, no nonsense type we all love on the telly. . . . into "Clean shaven Men who were in touch with their feminine side, and who could do wonderful things in the kitchen with some salmon and a handful of sliced zucchini. . . ." ( actual JC quote ) Dunno if he was actually having a dig at the Aust. TG chaps, or whether it was a general thing . . . I'll wager that you could probably put me right on this though FT . . . . .

The trick is picking evenly sized salmon portions and gently massaging them with olive oil, before lightly seasoning and frying gently over medium heat.

There's that gorgeous German lass again, . . .the one that beat JC atound the Nurburgwhaterver . . .she actually has her own motoring show in Germany, which is probably why she didn't get a job with Top Gear,. . . . I don't know the German translation for Top Gear, but it's probably something like . . .

Das Maximumhirenuppenmachinenverkengcoggenvwerkenmittderskullshplittenskreaminanderschpittinderfirenshmoken. . . . . doesn't really roll off the tongue as a programme title I guess. . . . .

>

Ich Bin Phil der FleigenDumpkopf

• Haha 2