Face Book,RA-Aus and the magazine online.

farri

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about signing in, and changing your email address to point to a disposable gmail account that you set up specifically for that purpose. Alternately most ISP's allow multiple email accounts, set up a new one and then a rule once its up and working that every email to this account gets trashed......I haven't said anything about facebook because so far I have resisted joining....Having dealt with IT security and seeing what the bad guys do with personal info I'm not that keen to share even as much as I share here on Facebook, which is not to say its wrong...just that I'm probably overcautious....

Andy

You ought to be able to stop the emails with privacy settings Andy, as another poster has just mentioned, . . . the ONLY thing I don't like about FIZZOGBOOK, is the absolutely ( to me, anyway ) bloody POINTLESS posts such as. . . ."Janet and John are at McNab's pub in tangleford. . ." OK,. . .er,. . .so WHAT USE IS THAT INFO TO ANYONE ? and there are hundreds of these. . . . . I guess it's the mobile phone syndrome extended,. . . I can't understand why people go out to a restaurant, and all of them sit there texting messages to someone else. . . . . ? ? is this weird,. . or is it just me being an old fart ?. . . ( answers on fizzogbook please. . .)

I LOVE communicating,. . . both the technical side, and contacting others who have similar interests. . .which is why I use various facets of Amateur radio and internet forums like this one,. . . but I don't really feel the need to take the tablet with me to a steakhouse, where I like to C O N V E R S E directly with the people with whom I'm sitting. . . . . or set up an HF radio and string a dipole wire antenna around the restaurant hopefully not to miss a call from my sheila radio ham mate Erin Malone in Vanuatu. . . . . ( New Hebrides last time we spoke ! ) I hope I'm not a snob in thinking that people who do this are sadly bereft of the art of direct conversation / discussion in the physical world; and would rather make "one -line" ( usually terribly abbreviated and mis- spelled ) comments on the public fizzogbook page. . . what's that all about ? ? ? As a direct consequence I have only four email alerts from fizzogbook, which I won't bore you with, just to say that two of them are my Daughters. . . . I've already given Big Daughter her final warning,. . ie, if I get another "Lauren has changed her profile picture" message alert on my primary email, and it's her and her bloody ugly, unshaven fat partner jumping up and down at a Wolverhampton Wanderers football match. . ., then I'd cut her out of my will. . . . . . . this has got to be worth around fifty quid so she'd better watch it. . . .

• Winner 1

We have covered the RPL and its limitations many times; I'd suggest a careful study of its limitations before inventing a change that isn't necessarily there.

Turbo. . . . did you mean to type " A change that isn't necessarily Warranted / Required / Needed" ?? . . .confused dot com ( Bearing in mind from the outset that I have absolutely NO IDEA how your existing systems operate. . . )

Phil

Facebook page terms: The following terms, as well as our Data Policy and Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, apply to all Pages on Facebook. Additionally, all content on Pages must comply with our Community Standards. You are responsible for ensuring that your Page complies with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations.

What goes on Facebook is up to the individual, you don`t like it, don`t look or read it. I use Facebook appropriately.

A couple of months ago, I got a message from a guy I knew, when I was in my mid teens. I hadn`t seen or heard from him in fifty two years. Turned out,he`s currently living on the Atherton Tablelands and learning to fly at Mundoo (Innisfail) aerodrome. He saw me on Facebook.

Recently, I asked a lady who is a friend of my wife and I, if she was on Facebook, she said no, so I said," don`t you like Facebook?", reply, "No! It`s freaky!", "Why is it freaky?" I asked, " I don`t know, it`s just freaky".

Paranoia? Plenty of it out there.

Frank.

• Agree 2

I can't understand why people go out to a restaurant, and all of them sit there texting messages to someone else. . . . . ? ?

I'm sitting in one now about to answer a question from your other post. Previously I probably would have been talking sh!t with someone about why the potholes at the shopping centre haven't been fixed.
  • Haha 1

Turbo. . . . did you mean to type " A change that isn't necessarily Warranted / Required / Needed" ?? . . .confused dot com ( Bearing in mind from the outset that I have absolutely NO IDEA how your existing systems operate. . . )Phil

You could change it to just "inventing fantasies"

• Helpful 1

IF it appears to be FREE, there is a cost somewhere. You can bet on it. Nev

No such thing as a free lunch, we all know that ( well, I hope so), my motto is, " You want to play, you gotta pay." Fortunately! As a user, or member, there`s no direct cost to me at this time.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg . Who will pay? http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-10-companies-that-tried-to-buy-facebook-2014-3

I'm sitting in one now about to answer a question from your other post.

The wonders of the modern age! Siting in a restaurant for lunch, mobile phone in hand, answering a question from someone on the other the other side of the earth! Wonder what we`ll be able to do in a couple more years!

I bet you just hate it, Turbo!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank.

• Like 2

IF it appears to be FREE, there is a cost somewhere. You can bet on it. Nev

The COST,. . (.if you could call it that ) TO YOU. . . is that Facebook operations like to hoover up as much information about a user as is humanly possible. Which I why I didn't tell them anything about myself. . . and don't even use my real name. . . but they still nag me every time I login, whith questions about what high school did I attend,. . . where did I work . . .etc. . . .this is information that they don't really need to know. . . . and the COST Nev,. . .well, my angle on it anyway. . . is that once the great faceless "They". . . have as much information on you as they can possibly glean,. . .then you will be targeted wherever you go on the interwebby thing with specific advertising "pop ups " .etc. which annoy the hell out of me anyway, especially the flashing ones. I used to know quite a bit about assembly code, and basic programming, but I lost interest and am not able to hack my system and block a large amount of this ADCRAP . . .and I don't know anyone locally who is, . . .so my take on it is to tell them zilch. let the bar$tards work harder for it . . . .

Since our illustrious Goverment now allows organisations such as the DVLA and DVLC ( driver and vehicle licensing agencies ) to SELL your details to commercial enterprises,. . . it is becoming more difficult to be anonymous.

Fortunately, the CAA is about the only Qango who Don't actually SELL this information yet, apart from allowing unfettered online access to Aircraft registration details, including the name and address of the owner(s) and usually the area where the aircraft is based. . . . . (?) ( Go to the CAA main site, and look for "G - INFO ". . .if you are interested in checking on UK aircraft. . . .)

• Agree 2

No such thing as a free lunch, we all know that ( well, I hope so), my motto is, " You want to play, you gotta pay." Fortunately! As a user, or member, there`s no direct cost to me at this time.Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg . Who will pay? http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-10-companies-that-tried-to-buy-facebook-2014-3

The wonders of the modern age! Siting in a restaurant for lunch, mobile phone in hand, answering a question from someone on the other the other side of the earth! Wonder what we`ll be able to do in a couple more years!

I bet you just hate it, Turbo!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank.

Well,. . . . .I wouldn't say that Turbo actually "Answered" my query as such,. . . . it was more like an enigma wrapped up in a wossername. . . . . however, . . .it was not really that important, I find your discussions re the many differing and varied licensing levels / requirements you have to be quite interesting. . . complex maybe, but nonetheless interesting.. . . . I found out very quickly when arriving in Australia, that, following my confusion with regard to the convoluted manner in which the Brit Goverment of the day "Organised" things, . . .and believing that the Australians were, . . .well,. . .a really Laid back and relaxed sort of society, that things would be easy and straightforward. but NO,. . . . the Aussie Government seem to have adopted a system so complex and convoluted, that it was eminently FAR BEYOND the complexity of anything I'd seen in the UK in the 1960s,. . . ( and I'm not talking about aviation either. . .) I wonder why they opted for overly-complex ruleyregulationalism . . . . ? Seems totally out of kilter with "our" . . .( referring to the average bloke in the street in Englund Guv. . .) impression of Australia. . . . Ah well,. . . .one of life's wonderful mysteries I guess. . . . .

What are the pros and Con's of forums like this one compared to Facebook type Groups?

Pros . . . .

Bloody good platform for discussions and news regarding social interconnection ( nearly said intercourse there, . . .but changed my mind )

We even discuss FLYING from time to time, and this is what I like, ..( but that's just me. . . lot of nice people on here as well as a few grobblewarts, but you always get them. . .)

Cons. . . . . . er,. . . . .

Can I get back to you on that one please. . .?

Compared to FIZZOGBOOK type forums ? . . . not a lot of reasons to compare really,. . . the open social media is just that. Therefore it attracts EVERYONE with internet access, . . .and older folks like me find it fairly tedious. . . . predictable, childish, sometimes to the point of being ridiculous,. . . . . full of filthy language,. . political and other weird advertisers, no moderation, no filtration of content, . . . and not somewhere I'd want my nine year old Daughters to be. . . . ( even though they're both around the 30 mark now,. . .)

I'm surprised that you asked this one Ian,. . . . I'd have thought it was fairly obviousl ( no offence intended )

Phil

I'm sitting in one now about to answer a question from your other post. Previously I probably would have been talking sh!t with someone about why the potholes at the shopping centre haven't been fixed.

Turbo. . . . .!. . .IT'S PERFECTLY OK in my book anyway . . .to use your personal communicator in a public place, eatery . .coffee bar, train carriage or whatever, if you are sitting there all by your own, and on yourself. . .? . . . . but I believe it is the zenith of bad manners so to do when in the company of another human, . . . who may feel somewhat excluded by that kind of activity,. . . .

Lately, . . .young people will, more and more of course accept this type of activity, as a large percentage of them will have been brought up with it happening all around them. . . . so it becomes the norm, and decriers like me fade into insignificance. . . . seems a shame all the same.

• Agree 2

Was at a presentation recently where phones were requested to be off, but nicely added was for those of you who are too important to turn your phone off for 30mins there is an individual at the door assigned to look after your phone for you. Nobody took up the offer.

Mobiles certainly have taken over. When I call I always ask if the time is convenient. Would you in REAL circumstances just walk into someone's office and start talking, regardless 0f what they are doing? Nev

Does the membership cost reduce if they are going online with the magazine?? I hope so as I haven't been able to renew mine yet.

Which proves! A heck of a lot of people think it`s a good thing. I wouldn`t be with out it now. My grandchildren think,"Granddad`s deadly, he`s on facebook" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I`ve got 8 grandchildren,youngest 19 years old, ( Yeah! Fran and I, started off young ) all on facebook, which means, I can communicate with them, as often as I want, at next to no $ expense,this in itself is worth it to me.

Forget the dribble that some people put on there, you will always get it, but with the dribble, comes a lot of good stuff. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Frank.

• Agree 5

RA-Aus on Facebook. Yes there are 3 facebook pages. The official one under Places, another automatically generated by Facebook & one under Aerospace/Defence. Personally I don't think they have presented anything (Official page) much at all. The tab "About" which is the page to describe what RA-Aus is all About is blank. The timeline is typical with blurbs from staff mostly, 13 reviews, 11 of which gave the site 5 stars & 2 gave it 4 stars (can't think why they'd be this high) & there are a bunch of photos. The heading describes Ra-Aus as "Sports and recreation - Aviation school" not even correct with recreation & school in lower case. A poor effort from what should be a professional setup. Zero stars from me.

• Agree 1

RA-Aus on Facebook. Yes there are 3 facebook pages. The official one under Places, another automatically generated by Facebook & one under Aerospace/Defence. Personally I don't think they have presented anything (Official page) much at all. The tab "About" which is the page to describe what RA-Aus is all About is blank. The timeline is typical with blurbs from staff mostly, 13 reviews, 11 of which gave the site 5 stars & 2 gave it 4 stars (can't think why they'd be this high) & there are a bunch of photos. The heading describes Ra-Aus as "Sports and recreation - Aviation school" not even correct with recreation & school in lower case. A poor effort from what should be a professional setup. Zero stars from me.

I don't think that is fair... I have seen more communication from Ra-Aus on Facebook in the last 2 weeks then in any previous period...Nothing safety related...mostly fun posts... which is exactly what Facebook is good for...its a great way to get new people involved... just tell a young person to look it up on Facebook and you have a resource 100 times more useful then the magazine.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1