Hieway In The Sky

Hieway66

I would like to thank y'all for allowing me to the website. My name is Hieway, and I'm trying to enter into NOVICE aviation. I'm am fixing to begin building my first ultralight and I'm looking for any advice possible. I'm 49 yoa and wanting to fly. Tired of riding cycles. I will be on from time to time looking for help of some kind. And so, thank you for your acceptance. Hieway

• Like 1

Welcome Hieway66.My wife and I spent some time last year after Oshkosh tracking down as much of Hiway 66 as we could. tons of fun.

By the way I know bugger all about aviation, I'm a beginner too.

Model. . . .. ( trying to type and giggle at the same time. . .! ) I think you'll find that the statement " Bugger All" is not in common use in the USA, so my mate Les Swazzo told me on the chatroom of that wonderful "Oldies Music" site, DOOWOP COVE . . . . . He's decided that we ( UK'ites ) Aussies, and Americans are DIVIDED by a common language. . .! Anyway, Hieway,. . . .WELCOME to the madhouse, . . . I'm sure you will find some very encouraging comments here on RF, as well as a lot of good natured leg pulling. We ( in the UK ) and some Australian pilots are probably not up to speed on the flying regulations and such in the U.S.,. . . but best of luck with your building and flight training Sir.

Phil

Yes, don't you love the interpretations. Heard one about an American's first day Teaching in Australia Grade 6 when young girl upset exclaimed upset in class that Johnny had stolen her rubber. (what we call an eraser).

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome Hieway66.My wife and I spent some time last year after Oshkosh tracking down as much of Hiway 66 as we could. tons of fun.

By the way I know bugger all about aviation, I'm a beginner too.

Hey Mod. . . . .I know Budgerigar all about aviation too, and I've got 8700 hours not learning anything. . . . . . .

Rose

Apparently the best season on decades for budgies in Central Australia. I've seen them swarming like bees in their tens of thousands. It's a really beautiful sight.

ROSELLAS. . . . . . I once visited an old friend who lived in a Victorian town called Rainbow,. . . .I had a great day with the guy and his Wife, we met on the convict ship "RMS Ellinis" a Greek liner which imported us from Pommieland in 1972. . .shared the same dining table in the Ship's restaurant, . . .always said we'd keep in touch blah blah blah. . . . anyway,. . .

My mate Peter Barnett arranged for me to fly into a farmenr's field just outside of the town,. . .he said it was a bit small, but it turned out to have a run a bit bigger than Tullamarine's main strip. . . . I landed in VH-EJM, a virtually brand new ( bollox, it was about 3 years old,. . .) aircraft that I had decided to purchase, in a syndicate with eight other victims,. .er, I mean . . .people. Theere were TWO pilots in this proposed syndicate. . . . anyway, I digress,. . . . Peter collected me from the field in his Ute, and I had a really nice day with him and his Missus Ruby,. . .had dinner at the local hotel ( pub ) and finally it was time for me to get going,. .. you know how quickly night seems to fall in Australia,. . .Geez,.. . .there's no "Twilight" Like we used to have in the UK,. . .no,. . .it just GETS BLOODY DARK really fast,. . .and I had about 3 hours before this was going to happen, and I'd got to go to work on the Monday morning. . . .!

ANYWAY. . . to the point of my post ( you KNEW I'd get there in the end. . .didn't you ? ) I said my goodbyes, did my ground checks, and fired up the Cessna,. . .since the field was so huge, . . .I didn't bother taxying to the one end,. . .I just said. . .Byeeee. . .and fired it up. . .as I had literally just lifted off the grass,. . a bloody great cloud of something iridescant blue lifted of the ground in front of me like a great big carpet, and I was momentarily stunned,. . .so much so, that I pulled the throttle back a bit, and relaxed my back pressure on the yoke . . .OOPS. . .WRONG ! ! ! ( I later found that the Carpet of birds were locally known as Rosellas. . .a type of Parrot ? ? ? I dunno. . .) ? ? ? ? Just at that moment, a bloody great removals van,. . . bigger than anything I'd ever seen, emerged on the road at the left end of the strip out of a copse of trees, and . . . .well,. . .If I said I ONLY JUST MISSED HITTING IT. . . I would not be lying to you. . . .I think it was down to centimetres, not inches. . .

I literally slammed the throttle all the way in, and yanked the 172 into a hard right turn, and I thought I'd clipped the hedge at the end,. . .when I got back to Berwick, I found no green bits on the wingtip. . . .

Ah well,. . .another flight survived. I Didn't buy the aeroplane in the end,. . .some bloke came in and offered more than our syndicate, so we missed it. . .just for the record, we had offered $22,000 . . .If we'd known someone else wanted the damn thing we could have easily upped it a bit. . . .Ce la vie. . . .

With the good seasons we had for a while (Lake Eyre filling twice and all that) the Parrot numbers, Budgies, Corellas, Rosellas, Parikeets, Lorikeets etc will be in really huge numbers. Now the seasons have turned and the big dry has started a lot of these birds will migrate to the Coast for survival, be prepared for some really weird ideas from the city folk regarding where they came from and why they are there.

The huge numbers of Kangaroos that bred up in the big wet are now dying in droves.

The land of drought and flooding rains strikes again.

Oh Dear,. . . . .I had a look in my old logbooks and it seems I am locationally confused on the Rosella Carpet post,. . . . in the interests of historical thruthfullitude, ( ? ) my mate Pete lived around 15 Nm North East of Warracknabeal. . .! ! ! near a place called Bangerang.

The rest of the incident is reasonably accurate though ( ! ! ! )

Rainbow was a different story, . . . .but maybe some other time !

( Sorry ! ) Phil