Savannah S dream machine

Guy s

That's looking nice, Guy. When will you get to pick up your Savannah?

THE Fuselage is back at home if that's what you meant. When I pick up a finish part i leave the spray painters with more bit's to paint. It's been an on going slow process.

THE Fuselage is back at home if that's what you meant. When I pick up a finish part i leave the spray painters with more bit's to paint. It's been an on going slow process.

I suppose it is one step at a time, but you will definitely get there in the end!

• Informative 1

I did have it in my heart to fit the 912is but when it came to the crunch the extra dollars for the motor and not really being able to use the exiting instruments and wiring that is supplied with the kit cause it's gear up for the ULS.

So then having to go glass panel which I had intended but the work involve starting from scratch and the cost it seems I was starting to feel overwhelmed and opening a can of worms me thinks. Not to mention modifying the cowling to suit the 912is and also learnt that the return fuel lines would not cope with 912is and having already install the lines in the wing so it was all weighting against me and the extra time and brain matter to nut it out was becoming beyond me. Cowling and fuel lines would have been easy enough to change but the overall picture of the 912is was not.

If the kit was catered for the 912IS then different ballgame.

• Informative 1

I had my heart set on the 912is as well I was hoping someone would of built one first. Lucky for me I haven't started the build so things like fuel lines I can tackle straight away. Mind you the extra out lay of $$$ for the engine itself plus the glass cockpit requirment is something to think about. I do like the idea of 14L an hour fuel burn though.

• Like 1

I did have it in my heart to fit the 912is but when it came to the crunch the extra dollars for the motor and not really being able to use the exiting instruments and wiring that is supplied with the kit cause it's gear up for the ULS.So then having to go glass panel which I had intended but the work involve starting from scratch and the cost it seems I was starting to feel overwhelmed and opening a can of worms me thinks. Not to mention modifying the cowling to suit the 912is and also learnt that the return fuel lines would not cope with 912is and having already install the lines in the wing so it was all weighting against me and the extra time and brain matter to nut it out was becoming beyond me. Cowling and fuel lines would have been easy enough to change but the overall picture of the 912is was not.

If the kit was catered for the 912IS then different ballgame.

Yes, it would be nice if ICP would make a kit for FADEC/fuel injected style engines. That would cover the Rotax IS as well as some other alternative motors. Perhaps such a kit is not so far away?

Yes, it would be nice if ICP would make a kit for FADEC/fuel injected style engines. That would cover the Rotax IS as well as some other alternative motors. Perhaps such a kit is not so far away?

Are you sure it isn't already available?

I am sure Reg told me the factory are now fitting 912iS and 914 motors. It is just not the standard 912S kit that he orders for stock. A kit is a pretty big investment in time and money so it is worth thinking it through and ordering just what you want. When I ordered mine, I ordered it with the extended rudder from the tail dragger version for a little bit more rudder authority. That had never been done before but Tom just specified a different order for that kit. Each kit is individual if you are prepared to wait 13 or 14 weeks for the delivery you can have what ever you want in the box. If you can't wait and there is stock here in Australia it will be 912S, extended baggage, long range tanks and cabin heat because they are the options that most people want.

That rudder extension was a factory copy of the one Reg built on his maroon plane and also on the white/yellow turbo charged one he built. Just as they copied John Gilpin's VG idea, the factory aren't shy about incorporating improvements thought of by others.

Are you sure it isn't already available?I am sure Reg told me the factory are now fitting 912iS and 914 motors. It is just not the standard 912S kit that he orders for stock. A kit is a pretty big investment in time and money so it is worth thinking it through and ordering just what you want. When I ordered mine, I ordered it with the extended rudder from the tail dragger version for a little bit more rudder authority. That had never been done before but Tom just specified a different order for that kit. Each kit is individual if you are prepared to wait 13 or 14 weeks for the delivery you can have what ever you want in the box. If you can't wait and there is stock here in Australia it will be 912S, extended baggage, long range tanks and cabin heat because they are the options that most people want.

That rudder extension was a factory copy of the one Reg built on his maroon plane and also on the white/yellow turbo charged one he built. Just as they copied John Gilpin's VG idea, the factory aren't shy about incorporating improvements thought of by others.

And the willingness to incorporate good ideas so readily, as you hinted Rank Amateur, is a good thing. This is a different approach to other manufacturers who insist on selling a particular feature with their aircraft even when it has been consistently shown that it is not the best thing for the mission it was designed for. I think it is often the designer's pride that gets in the way of adopting an obvious improvement.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've posted with a lighting strike hitting a tree in our yard and taking out the phone and 3 computers in the process, so here a few photo's of the progress which has been a little slow lately with a lack of time.

Just started the wiring which I was never looking forward to and usually dos my head in but slowly nutting it out. Actually the wiring harness seems to be well thought out and not as scary as I thought.

Cheers guy.

112772353_Savannahbuild156.JPG.6d83c7a66f2e6abd694dddebc16e05a5.JPG

374519449_Savannahbuild168.JPG.0a2f9cb51862a83df8a7f6db78d52744.JPG

1961675067_Savannahbuild181.JPG.021ecc1738c943a9e1c81bfa5a0f61e0.JPG

486940921_Savannahbuild182.JPG.07e760ffafb7a8d8f079b422f7f134e5.JPG

1469220621_Savannahbuild184.JPG.d9d9877aade24e16a292ae8f3f61ddb4.JPG

1656672916_Savannahbuild189.JPG.a5dddc5895d920a14dc752b8a6e649f0.JPG

815817231_Savannahbuild191.JPG.431f06ceedb188c7abcc7d0b1549d81e.JPG

1943510861_Savannahbuild196.JPG.8863869c886799b2da346aa32784931c.JPG

1522258624_Savannahbuild198.JPG.9e8fdaad2b893c1b9b2f161b05dab856.JPG

• Like 3

Been a while since I've posted with a lighting strike hitting a tree in our yard and taking out the phone and 3 computers in the process, so here a few photo's of the progress which has been a little slow lately with a lack of time.Just started the wiring which I was never looking forward to and usually dos my head in but slowly nutting it out. Actually the wiring harness seems to be well thought out and not as scary as I thought.

Cheers guy.

Your "Dream Machine" is slowly taking shape. 'Onya' Guy.

• Agree 1

Been a while since I've posted with a lighting strike hitting a tree in our yard and taking out the phone and 3 computers in the process, so here a few photo's of the progress which has been a little slow lately with a lack of time.Just started the wiring which I was never looking forward to and usually dos my head in but slowly nutting it out. Actually the wiring harness seems to be well thought out and not as scary as I thought.

Cheers guy.

Great workmanship Guy, well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently you can't tint Lexan which I was hoping to do to the lexan that goes above your head to cut some of the heat and sun out. Now I was wondering if anyone has heard of Nightshade spray paint which you can spray on to give the lexan a darker look ?

Apparently you can't tint Lexan which I was hoping to do to the lexan that goes above your head to cut some of the heat and sun out. Now I was wondering if anyone has heard of Nightshade spray paint which you can spray on to give the lexan a darker look ?

Thats crap Guy whoever told you that. My Sav has been flying for 3.5 years and I tinted the overhead section and it is still perfect. if you look through the blog you will see it there with the parachute straps underneath it...I got it done by a car tinting guy at redcliffe...cost me 100 bucks as it was the best quality type and it needs to be put on by the experts and mine is still perfect. looks like its made like that

• Informative 1

Thanks for the offer Fly_tornado.

Rang a local car tinting mob and he said that when lexan gets hot it gives of a gas and plays havoc with the film and can also send it milky in colour.

Will ring someone else Mark and cheers.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hi Guy I know I had to get a special type because of that reason thats why it was 100 bucks. I did a bit of ringing around until I found someone who actually knew what they were talking about. They are down at redcliffe I cant remember who they were as it was 4 years ago but will go down there in the next week or so and if they are still there I will get you the name. I wouldnt do it on the windscreen I did it so the sun wouldnt burn my bald head.....like someone else I know 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

I bought 3m clear tint for front windscreen Cr90, and use a cr70 like tint for top screen.

the car tinter guy had never seen such a clear window film.

if you tint front screen remeber to tint it when folded, not flat.

• Like 2