A320 crash

the door is designed to lock the passengers out of the cockpit. the lock has 3 options open, closed or lock..

FT, I`m well aware of that and I`m also well aware that a similar accident may never happen again, so, leave the door locking system as it is, but have several crew in the cockpit at all times. Better system?????

Frank.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once its set to lock that's it. That's the whole point, the terrorist start executing the passengers but the pilot never loses control.

I don't know how you can improve on this design without creating weaknesses

• Agree 1

Even if you put a security guard up the front someone hell bent on doing something would find a way to kill everybody the only safe way is to avoid getting on one in the first place.

haha Bob, not what I meant at all... same would go for a banker or florist. Just meant it would be no more of a guarantee that one out of a million security guards won't snap than it is one of a million pilots won't. All human...

haha Bob, not what I meant at all... same would go for a banker or florist. Just meant it would be no more of a guarantee that one out of a million security guards won't snap than it is one of a million pilots won't. All human...

I know mate , it's just that I'm having a quiet day .... Bob

Guest Andys@coffs

i feel that an ASIC card could be the go. Aviation Suicide Identification Card. It should be issued for 2 years, but require renewal 18 months before it expires, and the old one must be sent back with the application for the new one....not being in possession of an ASIC would............. I have that Groundhog Day feeling.......

Pilots pay a huge price for the privilege of sitting in an airline cockpit and the airlines are slowly screwing them financially.

Indeed, a bit of truth in that and I for one would be happy to see a ticket rise of say $10 National and $50 International to see better paid and more Pilots employed.

Upon saying that, there's some 150,000 (whatever) commercial pilots flying airliners and it's just a fact that some percentage will have some life issues at some time.

• Agree 1

There are already a Face Book page from the muslim extremists calling old mate a Martyr and he died for the islamic cause. He was a muslim convert.

What a great idea let terrorists fly planes.

Whatever his motivation was, it wasn't just suicide. If he wanted to kill himself in an aircraft he could have done it in his glider and only killed himself. It takes a special kind of insane to calmly fly another 147 people to their deaths as well.

• Agree 4

There are already a Face Book page from the muslim extremists calling old mate a Martyr and he died for the islamic cause. He was a muslim convert.

"is" sorry, 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif :cops:stuck out like Dog's BaIIs 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Hey notice that it's always a convert. Those born to it must have more sense.

I recall an incident in a DC-10 in the US. The flight engineer beat up the Captain and FO with the aim of crashing the plane. He very nearly suceeded. Hopefully I'm not recalling one of the many 'disaster movies'.

Very famous and absolutely true incident involving a Fedex DC-10 freighter (Fedex 705) in 1994 which is pretty much required study for airline pilots doing security training. The guy who tried to hijack it was another Fedex pilot, Auburn Calloway, who had been scheduled for a disciplinary hearing regarding embellishing his CV and planned to destroy the aircraft by flying it into Fedex headquarters but making it look as though he was not to blame so that his wife would inherit a payout (unbeknownst to her).

He arranged to get a jump-seat as a passenger, then violently attacked the crew with a hammer. Captain David Sanders, First Officer Jim Tucker, and Flight Engineer Andy Peterson suffered serious penetrating head wounds but despite their injuries, two of them fought Calloway off while First Officer Tucker, totally paralysed down one side, threw the DC-10 into a barrel roll to keep Calloway off balance, severely exceeding Vne in the process.

Later Captain Sanders ended up landing the plane while the other two subdued and seriously injured Calloway (who was still fighting up to that point). The aircraft suffered $800,000 structural damage due to the violent manoeuvring.

All three crew survived but were permanently medically grounded due to their injuries. Captain Sanders had head injuries, deep wounds, and had to have his right ear stitched back into place. First Officer Tucker had a fractured skull, a dislocated jaw, and bad wounds where Calloway attempted to gouge out one of his eyes. Flight Engineer Peterson had a fractured skull, and a severed temporal artery from a hammer blow. Calloway was imprisoned for life.

• Informative 2
  • Caution 1

Would it not be possible to monitor all these aircraft's flight paths/profiles and if they suddenly deviate radically from the plan have control taken off the pilots? Then ground based crews take over until it is established why the deviation. There are lots of military drones flying around that are ground controlled.

Soon all commercial pilots will have to have to have a catheter & a colon bag as a pre requisite for the job.

Not much you can do other than have a 3rd pilot in first class for rest room breaks, even then a pilot hell bent on doing himself in and taking the passengers with him will find some way to do it.

Soon all commercial pilots will have to have to have a catheter & a colon bag as a pre requisite for the job.Not much you can do other than have a 3rd pilot in first class for rest room breaks, even then a pilot hell bent on doing himself in and taking the passengers with him will find some way to do it.

Hard to justify the cost of another 'fully qualified' pilot getting around $200,000 a year , sitting around in first class just to cover the odd toilet break Alf . But what about an old Rec pilot like you and I ,willing to do the job for half the dollars . Wouldn't take long to learn how the door locks work (no offence Dutch) and some basic self defence . Home most nights, free ASIC and travel allowance , sounds good ....... Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1