A320 crash

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Asic is a bit like the Blue Card (Kids), each year your invited to renew at a cost. You must of course let them know if you've been naughty and don't deserve it any longer. Oh and yes if you don't renew and you deal with minors you will get fined. So every School Teacher, Swim Coach, Scout Master etc. pays up.

Yes. Each.....and......every.....flight.......every.......working.......day.Don't get me started.

I find it very reassuring that each time I fly I am scrutinised by failed night club bouncers, recent immigrants from the Middle East and other superficially screened persons who, employed by crappy security companies out to make money, are paid peanuts. Airport screening is a mere illusion put up by the authorities, in order to make the public think that all the pointless inconvenience is actually making them safer. Meanwhile similar persons employed as baggage handlers do their best to trash your luggage and are no better security screened than their compatriots in the terminal.

So don't get me started either. Damn, I have taz.gif.c750d78125a77f219b0619b1f23e3e90.gif

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

This is seriously true.

Walking through a major Australian airport domestic security screening several years ago. I'm in full uniform, hat, ASIC, and everything, flying kangaroos adorning various bits of uniform accoutrement as always. Security guy at the other side of the xray machine says "sir we need you to open your bag".

I say "sure, but may I ask what for?"

"Yes sir, it looks like you have an umbrella-like object in there".

"Yeah that would be my umbrella. It has resided in the same compartment in my bag for over 10 years now"

"Well we need you to take it out so we can inspect it sir"

(Rolling my eyes) "No problem - what are you looking for?"

"Well sir, it could be used to hide something which might allow you access to the cockpit."

"Seriously?"

"Yes sir. I'll just open it up and make sure there's nothing there which could be used to get into the cockpit."

"Right.....we wouldn't want that now would we?"

"No sir, we wouldn't. OK, you're all clear now."

"Thanks mate I'll be off then.......oh and just one more question"

"Yes sir?"

"Where exactly is it that you think I'm going now, and do you think I'm in fancy dress?"

Blank look followed. I just left, shaking my head. Similar scenarios have been repeated numerous times, yet not once, ever, has anyone in an Australian airport ever checked my ASIC card/ID to see that I am actually who I say I am. They'll delay us at security to check our umbrellas, and shampoo bottles, and toothpaste tubes, but never our ID.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In the heyday of the IRA the major UK airports embarked on a panic exercise to hire a swath of security people. Initially limited to Heathrow, Gatwick and i believe Glasgow, this brown army suddenly descended, subjecting all and sundry to security checks. Fortunately they still allowed crews to go through their briefing procedures and jump in a minibus to get to the aircraft, without the utterly pointless step of going through the pleb security!

One trip saw us near the holding point of 10R at Heathrow ready for a quick trip to Glasgow, when the hostie came onto the flight deck (we knew it as the cockpit in those non-pc days) and said we had a pax on board who was actually going to Edinburgh. Being somewhat gallant I ignored that the hosties must have been less than diligent in their check of the boarding passes, after all in those days getting the lippie and stocking seams right was more important. However, the punter had also gone through four 'brown army' checks and still come down the wrong pier!

Guest Andys@coffs
This is seriously true......... yet not once, ever, has anyone in an Australian airport ever checked my ASIC card/ID to see that I am actually who I say I am. They'll delay us at security to check our umbrellas, and shampoo bottles, and toothpaste tubes, but never our ID.

Dutchy!! I cant believe it!!! and there I was thinking it was merely a form of aviation taxation for a useless piece of plastic in the recreation flying arena.....and you've now opened it up by removing the qualifier....Its simply useless where ever you are!! Who would have thought it!!!

Oh well...at least in your job you didn't actually have to pay for it I presume your employer does........

Here in HKG we've had a min requirement of 2 on the flight deck at all times since post 9/11, i.e. that can be a FA or an authorized jump seat pax, seems every government authority has different rules.

Before others get to it, they can't even spell calibre.

As I was told by a septic; "an armed society is a polite society". Poor show that so many had 'one up the spout'. I wonder if any actually had terrorist intent?

Very famous and absolutely true incident involving a Fedex DC-10 freighter (Fedex 705) in 1994 .

Incredible story, must be a movie on that one Shirley?

Would it not be possible to monitor all these aircraft's flight paths/profiles and if they suddenly deviate radically from the plan have control taken off the pilots? Then ground based crews take over until it is established why the deviation.

This plane was on course, simply dropped for 8 minutes, unlikely time to get control of it.

pretty sure the passengers would be terrified as saw they were rapidly approaching ground.

Lufthansa guy said they only started screaming just seconds before impact. Most would not have had time to realise.

Hard to justify the cost of another 'fully qualified' pilot getting around $200,000 a year ,

The math says; 2 flights per day, 150 each flight, 5 days per week, 40 weeks per year = 60,000. So $10 extra per ticket ($600,000) would well and truly cover the salary and all associated costs, Super, insurance etc.

Before others get to it, they can't even spell calibre.

Normal US spelling, as in centre/center, theatre/theater, etc. That's why spellcheck highlights these words with our spelling.

Pilot trying to smash the cockpit door open with an axe may have been a subtle clue.

I'm seriously doubting that report.

On every commercial airline I've flown (B747, B767 and A330), the only location of a crash axe is in the cockpit itself. There is a reason that they don't have one in the cabin - well a couple of reasons actually. Firstly of course it can be used as a dangerous weapon. Secondly it is to allow the pilots to break out of the cockpit if trapped, due to the restricted means of egressing compared to the cabin, where there are exits everywhere.

On the "two in the cockpit" knee-jerk reaction where people are using the US airline regulations as an example, let's not forget that in the USA, some airlines also issue their pilots with guns. This leads to a rather absurd situation if you're talking of having someone else in the cockpit to protect against a suicidal pilot!

• Like 1

I'm seriously doubting that report.On every commercial airline I've flown (B747, B767 and A330), the only location of a crash axe is in the cockpit itself. There is a reason that they don't have one in the cabin.

Maybe a bread and butter knife...an axe in the cabin...I don't think so...

David

• Agree 1

Along with some comments from Warren Truss, another ex-spurt was quoted as saying, "We didn't have these doors on cockpits to keep them sanitary before 9/11 so this is another flow-on effect," he said."

I hadn't realised that crapping in the cockpit was a problem before the 11th of September.

• Like 1

Was for a colleague of mine once. A violent and sudden bout of severe food poisoning hit him. He only just remembers telling the Captain he needed to get out of the seat now. Next thing he remembers is lying on the floor of the crew rest being tended to by flight attendants and a doctor passenger, covered in vomit and crap, surrounded by aircraft blankets.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I'm seriously doubting that report. On every commercial airline I've flown (B747, B767 and A330), the only location of a crash axe is in the cockpit itself.

Yes, most likely you are right I believe. What he was using would not be apparent from a recording and they wont be finding evidence of this from the crash site that's for sure. Perhaps he was bashing the door with an extinguisher.

Whatever it was I'm pretty sure many of the passengers would have seen & heard what was happening by that point.

If an airline pilot wants to crash an a/c to commit suicide unfortunately no one can stop them, e.g. in a Boeing type the half roll & pull through, Silkair B737, a BAe146 in the US in the 1980's/90's, the Airbus would only take two push buttons to turn off the FAC's to allow you to enter alternate law, i.e. no protections e.g. Air Asia a few weeks ago, considering the number of commercial flights the two I mentioned (B737 & BAe146) are the only cases of suicide I can think of on a commercial flight, still two too many.

Moving pax isn't going to do anything, the a/c will just trim the stab to counter it.

• Agree 1