RA-Aus RPC to CASA RPL

Is there any benefit converting? I understand they're identical? RPL came to effect 1 September last year.

Does the RPL carry greater weight if wanting to acquire PPL?

And any advice on best approach or good school in wider Sydney area for RPC to PPL route? Main consideration is quickest conversion possible. I learnt to fly at The Oaks.

Thank you friends. Good morning.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not identical, various other threads on this issue. Basically the advantage is controlled airspace and can fly aircraft with a MTOW of up to 1500kg (still limited to 600kg in RAA aircraft). You'll still need a current RPC if you wanted to keep flying RAA aircraft.

The RPL is part of the route to PPL, but isn't a requirement. You could go straight into PPL training, but the RPL gives you a middle step so you can keep flying solo once you done the flight review.

As for quickest ways, maybe look for a school that flies the same aircraft that your used too, expect to do 5-10hrs dual otherwise. A school that does both RAA and CASA would be a good idea, they'll understand what you should know and what gap needs to be addressed from the beginning.

Good luck

• Like 1

Sydney Flying Club (Schofields) at Bankstown Airport is a good school. 02 9709 8488, www.sfcaero.com.au . You could qualify for RPL in a similar plane to your RAA mount but if it is your intention to fly bigger aircraft, like a Piper Warrior,, PA28, then you should consider doing your RPL training one of those aircraft. Having an aircraft with a DI and an AI will also make your instrument flying training more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sydney Flying Club (Schofields) at Bankstown Airport is a good school. 02 9709 8488, www.sfcaero.com.au . You could qualify for RPL in a similar plane to your RAA mount but if it is your intention to fly bigger aircraft, like a Piper Warrior,, PA28, then you should consider doing your RPL training one of those aircraft. Having an aircraft with a DI and an AI will also make your instrument flying training more accurate.

Thanks for the advice. They're very expensive tho!

Thanks for the advice. They're very expensive tho!

At SFC, Bankstown - PA28 $345/hr dual + $19 landing fees/flight or circuits block. GST INCLUDED

At Gostner , Camden - PA28 $310+$31/hr dual + $25 landing fee. GST INCLUDED

I would suspect that among PA28s in the cities that this rate would be competitive.

If you only ever expect to fly a Jabiru or Foxbat into controlled airspace then do your RPL in something like those. If you want to fly an RAA plane into controlled airspace you will probably just need the RPL with the controlled airspace endorsement and a PC. This will save you having to do a nav endo and instrument hours - I suspect - any ideas anyone?

There is still the question of what plane do you do your RPL Flight Review in.

• Agree 1

If you have an RAAus Pilot Certificate, you do not need to do theory for the CASA RPL. If you obtain a class 2 medical you can also carry 3 passengers... There are actually quite a few benefits- I'm considering converting in the very near future!

You'd need the Nav Endo if you were planning on using controlled airspace 25NM from your departure aerodrome. To get the RPL all you need to do is fill out a few forms and send it off to CASA. You'll need to do a flight review before you can use the licence, this might take a few hours/lessons with a new instructor or aircraft. Any endorsements could be done at the same time as the review (assuming you're at the standard for them to be issued, and meet the required hours).

• 4 weeks later...

The class 2 medical removes the restriction on the number of passengers you can take. It doesn't impose a new passenger limit.

The RPL itself permits flying planes up to 1500kg MTOW.

So, if you had an early Cessna 185 or 206, you could carry 5 passengers.

• Agree 2

One thing not mentioned so far is the processing delay once you have jumped through all the technical/training hoops. From CASA service stats it is taking them 43 days, on average, to process a RPL application if you have a RAA pilot certificate. I presume that is 43 business days. My advice, do not be in a hurry.

Steve

Just got the new part 61 lic to replace the old one. New "improved and simple" lic is 23 pages to say the same thing and 7 weeks from application. Still getting my head around the new ratings & endorsement format - must be improved because it's "new", they wouldn't complicate things for nothing, or would they?bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

• Haha 1

Just got the new part 61 lic to replace the old one. New "improved and simple" lic is 23 pages to say the same thing and 7 weeks from application. Still getting my head around the new ratings & endorsement format - must be improved because it's "new", they wouldn't complicate things for nothing, or would they?bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

YES.

They can, and they will.

My US licence is a simple card....but then, CASA knows that a Cessna flies differently here in Aussie air...and you have to get used to it being inverted too!

This RPL is an absolute revisit to 25 years ago when it was called a 'Restricted PPL' All that was then required for a full PPL was to do your NAVS and they must have included CTA/CTR/CTZ....then the restriction was cancelled off your licence via a crossed line with a signature over a stamp. Simple really.

Calling this new 'licence' an RPL is something of a deliberate muddying of the waters. It's not recreational aviation - that is what CASA underfund RAAus to administer. What CASA administers is GA. If CASA now 'recognise' an RAAus PC as equivalent to their GA RPL - why bother with the separation of categories at all? Again, it's intentional 'make work' activity which the taxpayer is funding. So much for cutting red tape by this federal government!

think I'd better take my medication, good night.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my RPL in the mail from CASA my paperwork was signed off and sent to CASA on the 17th April and I received it in the mail today 18th May so just 4 weeks in total including delivery to CASA and receiving in the mail here.

Just received my RPL in the mail from CASA my paperwork was signed off and sent to CASA on the 17th April and I received it in the mail today 18th May so just 4 weeks in total including delivery to CASA and receiving in the mail here.

The latest Sports Pilot magazine has an excellent summary of each step required for RPC to RPL conversion - and to be honest it is a LOT of work and looks like a considerable amount of money out of pocket (like getting medicals). Was this your experience Kununurra?

• Agree 1

The latest Sports Pilot magazine has an excellent summary of each step required for RPC to RPL conversion - and to be honest it is a LOT of work and looks like a considerable amount of money out of pocket (like getting medicals). Was this your experience Kununurra?

Wasn't my experience. Send in paperwork and go to the doctor. Pretty simple. More complex if you have to change planes to do a flight test, but most Ga planes are easier to fly than Ra. Lander a cessna will be a piece of cake if you can land a Jabiru! I also did the csu / retract endorsement in about 3 hours and the cta / ctz enforcement in another 3, but you don't need them.

Wasn't my experience. Send in paperwork and go to the doctor. Pretty simple. More complex if you have to change planes to do a flight test, but most Ga planes are easier to fly than Ra. Lander a cessna will be a piece of cake if you can land a Jabiru! I also did the csu / retract endorsement in about 3 hours and the cta / ctz enforcement in another 3, but you don't need them.

Did you do a flight review?

Did you do a flight review?

Well yes and no. I had to get time on a Mooney as I had just bought a share. So I did about 6 hours total to get comfortable in the plane and get all the required endorsements signed off on. I was told that in theory I didn't need to do a flight review but for me it didn't really make a difference I guess. Ultimately its going to come down to your flight school. If you did your rpc at a place that does Ga as well I'm guessing it will be easy. If you have to approach a Ga school I'm guessing it won't be as straightforward as someone will need to sign you off and therefore presumably they will need to fly with you...

Actually come to think of it, I actually sent off the rpl paperwork prior to the mooney training using just my Ra Aus rpl. Did that knowing it would take a while to process. Then did the training while waiting for the paperwork. Once I got the rpl in the mail I was ready to have the endorsements signed off on.

An endorsement on type/feature always counted as the equivalent of a BFR in the old days, I assume it is the same under Part 61?

You are taken to have completed a flight review (no longer called BFR in GA) if you have completed a design feature endorsement in that type of aircraft under part 61.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I still had to a a BFR (AKA flight review)I also completed mine at a school that teaches both RAA & GA.

I completed all the necessary stuff like med certificate ASIC ARN prior so no delay there.

I still had to a a BFR I also completed mine at a school that has teaches both RAA & GA.I completed all the necessary stuff like med certificate ASIC ARN so no delay there.

If you had done a design feature add on to your license such as Manually adjusted propeller (CSU), retractable undercarriage or tail-wheel as part of your part 61 conversion to RPL it would have counted as the flight review as it also did on the good ol days.

did my conversion at Adelaide Biplanes, they have the process sorted, minimum fuss, accepted all previous Navs etc, sent the paperwork in (including ASIC application) on April 30 and received my License today. Whole process was very easy.

Now just have to finish the Onex!

Peter

• Like 2

did my conversion at Adelaide Biplanes, they have the process sorted, minimum fuss, accepted all previous Navs etc, sent the paperwork in (including ASIC application) on April 30 and received my License today. Whole process was very easy.Now just have to finish the Onex!

Peter

Hi Peter. I did mine at Adelaide Biplanes too. Where are you building / basing your onex?