An ongoing question about glass panels

G'day all,

I was hoping some people may have had experience with either, or preferably both, the latest Dynon and MGL Discovery Lite glass panels and could give me their opinions on them. I guess this is digging up the old 'for and against' argument but with the release of the Discovery Lite recently I was, and still am, undecided which way to go. I am just about at the stage of needing to fit instruments and really need to make a decision soonish. I was toying with the idea of just having a bare basic analog panel but I do like those shiny screens, plus I need to monitor 4 x CHT and 4 x EGT and a boost gauge. I will probably incorporate the radio from either company too, just to make installation easier.

If anyone has anything they would like to share about them both, I would be very keen to hear your thoughts.

-Brett

Sonex builder

(almost finished)

I have the Dynon 10" Skyview system (non touch screen). I am very happy with it, as it clearly provides a wealth of information not readily available with standard instrumentation. The Dynon system runs the autopilot which is very handy for the longer legs of my flight plans.

• Like 1

The MGL Xtreme also now has auto pilot capability with the new firmware. The Dynon stuff is good but way over priced.

I have 1 Xtreme as my AHRS and ASI etc just with the AH screen. The other will be in parallel and sit on full EMS mode so I have sort of a built in redundancy. Either one can be used as either but they are small and excellent in full sunlight also take up far less room in the dash to allow for a analogue ASI. I am about to get the new dash panel powder coated. I just have to fit my glove box then its ready to go. I have a Ipad mini in the middle of the dash in a airgizmo mount and a Avmap EKP-V as a genuine GPS the only other bits is the radio and a fuel pressue gauge

I have the Dynon 10" Skyview system (non touch screen). I am very happy with it, as it clearly provides a wealth of information not readily available with standard instrumentation. The Dynon system runs the autopilot which is very handy for the longer legs of my flight plans.

Would you buy a Dynon again or look around considering there are so many options out there? In my current plane I fitted a MGL black and white panel. It has been great but lacks the features of todays latest and greatest.

I have 1 Xtreme as my AHRS and ASI etc just with the AH screen. The other will be in parallel and sit on full EMS mode so I have sort of a built in redundancy

As it happens, I have priced, from Bernard 2 x extremes for just the set up you described.

You only need the 1 RDAC and the one set of AHRS and Compass module as they all talk on the same Bus

You buy a Xtreme with the RDAC and buy another Xtreme without the RDAC which of course is cheaper...do not buy a EMS only unit and of course the AHRS and compass module

• Caution 1

I've noticed with the discovery lite the AHRS module is built in. I would still need to buy a compass module and the RDAC and so on but for 2 x extremes vs the Lite there is not much price difference.

Do you have the standard Sonex panel arrangement?

What you can fit will determine what you end up with. I believe the 10" Skyview wont fit in the standard arrangement without modification.

I made my panel more upright and fitted the Dynon D180. The Skyview wasn't available when I bought it.

I have the MGL v6 radio.

In any event both EFIS and EMS functions were important to me.

I'd probably go MGL if I were making the decision again today.

• Like 1

I have the Dynon Skyview 10 inch. Yes, expensive! Tablet software has come so far in recent years, it would better running what you could on one of these. Will save you many thousands of dollars.

Maybe have a dedicated engine management mini-screen, a tablet of some sort and an analogue ASI, ALT.

Analogue gauges are directly infront of the pilot and are really good for landing and a quick situation check....

It seems to take a second or two to take in and sort info from a comprehensive (conjested) screen panel, so I use the analogues alot.

panel.JPG.c59d578fb7de973bbea34bc2c634bca4.JPG

Sonex panel with D180. Backup ASI and Oil pressure on far LH side

My panel drops down on a hinge at the bottom, that and nutplates behind also reduces the realestate. I wouldn't bother hinging it again if I built another. D180, ASI have to come out to lower it.

I think either Dynon or MGL are good. Personally I would go for MGL as I am already conversant with them, but a friend had a really good Dynon set up. It cost a bit though.

Both my planes have analog instruments and it was a mistake to go that way 2 years ago. I would not consider analog instruments now, except maybe a backup ASI and that is not really necessary, except for the first few flights.