Light Aircraft down near Camden

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The piece of paper could be worth several million dollars.It is to provide a warning to the occupant that not only is the aircraft not as safe and an RPT, but it is not as safe as other recreational aircraft, and outs some onlus on to the passenger if you are not negligent.

Whilst common sense may support that suggestion, I wouldn't place to much faith on it in a law court. An analogy could be a "Beware of dangerous dog" sign on the front gate. Whilst it gives a warning, it is also an acknowledgement that you have a dog that is potentially dangerous. So if it bites somebody, guess what........

The piece pf paper may provide some protection to CASA, which is more than likely why they require it.

• Agree 2

I've seen that posted before, but I haven't seen a convenient sign which includes "dangerous". The ones I've fitted all say "Beware of the dog."

I've mentioned before, we lost a PL case through not warning that a racetrack was "dangerous, enter at own risk" then lost another one because we hadn't advised the plaintiff he was entitled to sue us if we were negligent, so we had to add that part as well. The key part we found is that if you meet the definition of negligent, you'll be paying out, and if you have provided a warning, but have not met the definition then you might get off.

Merv, see: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/a-light-aircraft-crash-landed-in-the-nattai-national-park-after-its-engine-failed-with-two-people-on-board/story-fni0cx12-1227289453945Slight misquote on my part, according to the report he crashed at 3.15, so might have been maybe 10 minutes max. into the flight? Still leaves it damn tight to get say to Lilydale...

That report also shows the complete horizontal stabiliser and elevator lying on the (relatively open!) ground, it's amazing the thing didn't go in nose-down vertically, the trees must have caught it completely. Very similar situation to the Wedderburn crash of years ago, though this time the engine stayed on...

Ah, the Telegraph, a journal of repute and truth in Sydney.

There's something else that doesn't hang quite right with me here - and it may just be inaccurate reporting BUT:Apparently, the pilot took off at 1515 to 'go to Melbourne'. The prevailing winds were - around here (near Mittagong), westerly at an average 15 kph; further south, swinging southerly at 15 - 20 kph. I would think one should not have planned on more than about 90 kts ground speed for the trip.

Last light getting near Melbourne was 1739 - say, for prudence, 1715 - four hours. You might JUST squeak it in from Camden to Melbourne in four hours at 90 kts ground speed IF you fly the rhumb line - which you cannot do without traversing a LOT of bad area.

Sunset in Melbourne on 2nd April was 7.12 pm so not sure where you got last light as 17.39. Perhaps 19.39?

Tough planes them jabs!!

I love the Jabs, just know for a fact that the idiots at the Jab factory need there arses kicking !!!!!

Guest asmol
Can you list the injuries and fatalities tou mentioned?

This is the first page of the NTSB search for Jabiru and Jabiru powered aircraft.

04/27/2013 02/10/2014 Bryan, OH DEAN LESLIE N HIGHLANDER N58LD CEN13LA244 Fatal(1)

03/29/2013 01/30/2014 Collegedale, TN ANDREWS ZODIAC N999NA ERA13LA183 Fatal(1)

02/13/2013 05/08/2014 Winters, CA AVIONS FAIREY TIPSY NIPPER T-66 N1959N WPR13FA123 Fatal(1)

11/18/2012 12/15/2014 Jacksonville, TX JABIRU USA SPORT AIRCRAFT, LLC J250-SP N635J CEN13LA062 Fatal(1)

03/30/2012 12/05/2013 Belmont, OH OLIVER JOSEPH ZODIAC CH 601XL N8060J CEN12FA217 Fatal(1)

03/26/2012 08/29/2013 Waxhaw, NC ANDERSON JOHN H AVID FLYER MK 4 N61410 ERA12FA256 Fatal(1)

10/05/2011 03/07/2014 Hedgesville, WV HARRY L. WEBER ARION LI N747HW ERA12FA006 Fatal(1)

07/02/2011 08/07/2013 Calhoun, GA BINKLEY RICHARD Sonex N6PX ERA11FA374 Fatal(1)

04/02/2010 06/20/2011 Middletown, DE LOPEZ PHILLIP JABIRU J250 N464PP ERA10LA203 Fatal(1)

04/01/2010 04/12/2011 Algonac, MI CZECH AIRCRAFT WORKS SPOL SRO MERMAID N853CZ CEN10FA182 Fatal(1)

11/14/2009 12/20/2010 Burnet, TX AUGUSTINE DAVID L SONEX N10DA CEN10LA050 Fatal(1)

11/06/2009 04/28/2011 Agnos, AR ZENITH AIRCRAFT CO ZODIAC 601 XL N538CJ CEN10FA042 Fatal(1)

06/18/2009 04/22/2010 Chadbourn, NC Chris Mitchell TITAN TORNADO N259CM ERA09LA356 Fatal(1)

03/03/2009 11/29/2011 Antelope Island, UT STEPHENSON ZODIAC 601 XL N3683X WPR09FA141 Fatal(1)

11/01/2007 12/28/2008 La Belle, MO WRB Associates, LLC. Zodiac 601 XL N634WB CHI08LA031 Fatal(1)

06/08/2009 07/22/2010 Brevard, NC SORENSON LIGHTNING N130DS ERA09LA329 Fatal(2)

02/08/2006 03/26/2007 Oakdale, CA Hooker Zodiac 601XL N105RH LAX06LA105 Fatal(2)

Do you want more ??

Re:

Asmov "This is the first page of the NTSB search for Jabiru and Jabiru powered aircraft".

That is 17 reports in 7 years 2006-2014 presumably from all reasons. Doesn't seem many. How many of the 17 were due to engine?

Guest asmol

I dont know, go to the NTSB site and read the reports ? Also check other websites, i am looking now through a Google search for Jabiru aircraft and engine fatalities/failures.

There are a lot more out there than you think. Also the 17 reports were only fatalities there were perhaps dozens or hundreds more on the NTSB website that were not fatalities.

I dont know, go to the NTSB site and read the reports ? Also check other websites, i am looking now through a Google search for Jabiru aircraft and engine fatalities/failures.There are a lot more out there than you think. Also the 17 reports were only fatalities there were perhaps dozens or hundreds more on the NTSB website that were not fatalities.

Conjecture, and the development of urban myth from an unsupported statement of opinion that refers to a source of information without any actual supportable analysis of the evidence. AKA, 911 conspiracy theories and reference to someone who knew someone's cousin who met a person who knew someone who had heard a man in a bar stating he had been told by someone about the third man on the grassy knoll.

I await the decisive evidence from someone who has found evidence in the prophecies of Nostradamus that Jabiru engines would cause a world-wide devastation of people flying in Jabiru-powered aircraft. It MUST be out there..... somewhere....

Guest asmol
Conjecture, and the development of urban myth from an unsupported statement of opinion that refers to a source of information without any actual supportable analysis of the evidence. AKA, 911 conspiracy theories and reference to someone who knew someone's cousin who met a person who knew someone who had heard a man in a bar stating he had been told by someone about the third man on the grassy knoll.I await the decisive evidence from someone who has found evidence in the prophecies of Nostradamus that Jabiru engines would cause a world-wide devastation of people flying in Jabiru-powered aircraft. It MUST be out there..... somewhere....

Dont shoot the messenger, i m just Googling. I am expecting that the NTSB reports i listed are not conjecture and they are STATEMENTS OF FACT, please go and search yourself. http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx go down the bottom and enter "Jaburu" in this section

Enter your word string below: (Searches both synopsis and full narrative; will slow the query performance) and press SEARCH

Then go to the UK CAA website and do the same thing, and i am assuming the ATSB search is similar. Than come back and you will have the facts not some third hand knowledge as you say i have. Its no wonder why people dont post here when you put up something factual and get shot down!

Only one Jabiru in there or am I missing something??

No idea if he hit a mountain or ran out of fuel

We arent talking engines, the discussion was about survivability of airframes

• Agree 1

Never mind the grouch asmol, you will get used to him.

Thanks for looking up those figures mate, altho I think we were mainly talking about the jabiru aircraft as apposed to acft with jab power plants.

When I was told that there had been no fatalities in Jabiru Aircraft some 6 months ago I did a quite exhaustive search.

I found 5 fatalities spread throughout Northern America and Europe in (I think it was) the last 5 years.

I am not going to redo it now and at the time it was only for my own benefit.

Being a firm believer in honesty when I see a boast which in my case seemed almost unbelievable, I tend to get my curious head on.

In this case a boast of no fatalities in Australia may be correct but saying that there has never been a fatality in a Jabiru aircraft is not correct according to my research.

Guest asmol

Southport flying club, Jabiru aircraft with Jabiru engine double fatality. Hang on, the ATSB might have got it wrong! and its urban myth Oscar ?

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/aair/aair200104707.aspx

Who comes up with this nonsense of saying nobody has ever died in a Jabiru airframe ? Personally (and i only read a lot) I think its just the slow speeds at arrival that stops people dying, not so much the airframe

For the sake of clarity I have done what AMSOL suggested looked up the NTSB database and READ the summaries. I thought it might help to append the NTSB summaries of probable cause for those fatal accidents he listed. It is interesting to note that although the aircraft listed in these incidents were all fitted with Jabiru engines only two airframes were Jabirus.

EDIT N.B I've attached the summaries inside Amsol's quoted post so you'll need to expand his quote to see them. Probably a messy way to do it but... couldn't figure out an easier method. Sorry.

To summarise the incidents that AMSOL posted:

1. Failed to maintain airspeed during a go around. Non Jab Airframe

2. Ejected from aircraft after canopy opened in flight. Non Jab airframe

3. Collided with a Turkey Vulture in flight. Non Jab airframe.

4. Stall& spin from low altitude. Jab airframe.

5. Rapid descent and impact with terrain following undetermined engine failure. Non Jab airframe.

6. Low altitude aerodynamic stall. Non Jab Airframe.

7. Low altitude stall following cardiac event. Non Jab Airframe.

8. Engine failure - Cause undetermined. Non Jab airframe.

9. Carb Icing - Failure to apply carb heat. JAB airframe.

10. Aerodynamic stall while maneuvering at low altitude. Non Jab airframe.

11. Aerodynamic stall. Contributing to the accident was the loss of engine power due to a clogged fuel screen. Non Jab airframe.

12. In-flight separation of both wings due to aileron flutter. Non Jab airframe.

13. Failure to maintain aircraft control during initial climb following a loss of engine power. The reason for the power loss was not determined. Non Jab airframe.

14. In-flight failure of both wings due to aileron flutter. Non Jab airframe.

15. Pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control while maneuvering. Non Jab airframe.

16. Both pilots failure to maintain adequate airspeed while maneuvering after a loss of engine power for undetermined reasons, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall. Non Jab airframe.

17. Structural failure of the wings for undetermined reasons. Non Jab airframe.

With respect Amsol, the devil is often in the detail. Simply searching "Jabiru" in the database and then cutting and pasting the results that show fatalities caused you to be misled and to then mislead readers here. It happens sometimes.

This is the first page of the NTSB search for Jabiru and Jabiru powered aircraft.

04/27/2013 02/10/2014 Bryan, OH DEAN LESLIE N HIGHLANDER N58LD CEN13LA244 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CEN13LA244

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, April 27, 2013 in Bryan, OH

Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/10/2014

Aircraft: DEAN LESLIE N HIGHLANDER, registration: N58LD

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

• The pilot's failure to maintain sufficient airspeed during a go-around, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall and subsequent impact with terrain.

03/29/2013 01/30/2014 Collegedale, TN ANDREWS ZODIAC N999NA ERA13LA183 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: ERA13LA183

Accident occurred Friday, March 29, 2013 in Collegedale, TN

Probable Cause Approval Date: 01/30/2014

Aircraft: ANDREWS ZODIAC, registration: N999NA

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

• The pilot's failure to ensure that his seatbelt was fastened and the pilots' failure to ensure that the canopy was latched properly, which resulted in the pilot's ejection from the cockpit following the opening of the canopy and the subsequent in-flight upset.

02/13/2013 05/08/2014 Winters, CA AVIONS FAIREY TIPSY NIPPER T-66 N1959N WPR13FA123 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: WPR13FA123

Accident occurred Wednesday, February 13, 2013 in Winters, CA

Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/08/2014

Aircraft: AVIONS FAIREY TIPSY NIPPER T-66, registration: N1959N

Injuries: 1 Fatal.

• The airplane's impact with a turkey vulture in cruise flight, which resulted in the structural failure of the right wing and the subsequent loss of control.

11/18/2012 12/15/2014 Jacksonville, TX JABIRU USA SPORT AIRCRAFT, LLC J250-SP N635J CEN13LA062 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CEN13LA062

Accident occurred Sunday, November 18, 2012 in Jacksonville, TX

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/15/2014

Aircraft: JABIRU USA SPORT AIRCRAFT, LLC J250-SP, registration: N635J

• The pilot's failure to maintain adequate airspeed during initial climb following an aborted landing, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall and spin at a low altitude.

03/30/2012 12/05/2013 Belmont, OH OLIVER JOSEPH ZODIAC CH 601XL N8060J CEN12FA217 Fatal(1)

Accident occurred Friday, March 30, 2012 in Belmont, OH

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/05/2013

Aircraft: OLIVER JOSEPH ZODIAC CH 601XL, registration: N8060J

• The loss of engine power and the pilot’s diverted attention to the engine power loss, which resulted in a rapid descent and impact with terrain.

03/26/2012 08/29/2013 Waxhaw, NC ANDERSON JOHN H AVID FLYER MK 4 N61410 ERA12FA256 Fatal(1)

Accident occurred Monday, March 26, 2012 in Waxhaw, NC

Probable Cause Approval Date: 08/29/2013

Aircraft: ANDERSON JOHN H AVID FLYER MK 4, registration: N61410

• The pilot's failure to maintain adequate airspeed during an attempted go-around, which resulted in a low-altitude aerodynamic stall.

10/05/2011 03/07/2014 Hedgesville, WV HARRY L. WEBER ARION LI N747HW ERA12FA006 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: ERA12FA006

Accident occurred Wednesday, October 05, 2011 in Hedgesville, WV

Probable Cause Approval Date: 03/07/2014

Aircraft: HARRY L. WEBER ARION LI, registration: N747HW

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: An aerodynamic stall at low altitude due to the pilot’s acute cardiac event.

07/02/2011 08/07/2013 Calhoun, GA BINKLEY RICHARD Sonex N6PX ERA11FA374 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: ERA11FA374

Accident occurred Saturday, July 02, 2011 in Calhoun, GA

Probable Cause Approval Date: 08/07/2013

Aircraft: BINKLEY RICHARD Sonex, registration: N6PX

• The total loss of engine power for reasons that could not be determined because postimpact fire damage precluded a thorough examination of the engine.

04/02/2010 06/20/2011 Middletown, DE LOPEZ PHILLIP JABIRU J250 N464PP ERA10LA203 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: ERA10LA203

Accident occurred Friday, April 02, 2010 in Middletown, DE

Probable Cause Approval Date: 06/20/2011

Aircraft: LOPEZ PHILLIP JABIRU J250, registration: N464PP

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

• The pilot's failure to apply carburetor heat, which resulted in the formation of carburetor icing and a total loss of engine power.

04/01/2010 04/12/2011 Algonac, MI CZECH AIRCRAFT WORKS SPOL SRO MERMAID N853CZ CEN10FA182 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CEN10FA182

Accident occurred Thursday, April 01, 2010 in Algonac, MI

Probable Cause Approval Date: 04/12/2011

Aircraft: CZECH AIRCRAFT WORKS SPOL SRO MERMAID, registration: N853CZ

• The pilot’s loss of control resulting from an aerodynamic stall/spin while maneuvering at low altitude.

11/14/2009 12/20/2010 Burnet, TX AUGUSTINE DAVID L SONEX N10DA CEN10LA050 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CEN10LA050

Accident occurred Saturday, November 14, 2009 in Burnet, TX

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/20/2010

Aircraft: AUGUSTINE DAVID L SONEX, registration: N10DA

• The pilot’s failure to maintain aircraft control, resulting in an aerodynamic stall. Contributing to the accident was the loss of engine power due to a clogged fuel screen that resulted in fuel starvation caused by the builder's inappropriate use of a fuel tank sealant in a plastic tank.

11/06/2009 04/28/2011 Agnos, AR ZENITH AIRCRAFT CO ZODIAC 601 XL N538CJ CEN10FA042 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CEN10FA042

Accident occurred Friday, November 06, 2009 in Agnos, AR

Probable Cause Approval Date: 04/28/2011

Aircraft: ZENITH AIRCRAFT CO ZODIAC 601 XL, registration: N538CJ

• The in-flight separation of both wings due to aileron flutter. The aileron flutter was the result of inadequate wing stiffness and the lack of aileron counterbalances.

06/18/2009 04/22/2010 Chadbourn, NC Chris Mitchell TITAN TORNADO N259CM ERA09LA356 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: ERA09LA356

Accident occurred Thursday, June 18, 2009 in Chadbourn, NC

Probable Cause Approval Date: 04/22/2010

Aircraft: Chris Mitchell TITAN TORNADO, registration: N259CM

• The pilot’s failure to maintain aircraft control during initial climb following a loss of engine power. The reason for the power loss was not determined.

03/03/2009 11/29/2011 Antelope Island, UT STEPHENSON ZODIAC 601 XL N3683X WPR09FA141 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: WPR09FA141

Accident occurred Tuesday, March 03, 2009 in Antelope Island, UT

Probable Cause Approval Date: 11/29/2011

Aircraft: STEPHENSON ZODIAC 601 XL, registration: N3683X

• The in-flight failure of both wings due to aileron flutter. The aileron flutter was the result of inadequate wing stiffness and the lack of aileron counterbalances.

11/01/2007 12/28/2008 La Belle, MO WRB Associates, LLC. Zodiac 601 XL N634WB CHI08LA031 Fatal(1)

NTSB Identification: CHI08LA031

Accident occurred Thursday, November 01, 2007 in La Belle, MO

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/28/2008

Aircraft: WRB Associates, LLC. Zodiac 601 XL, registration: N634WB

• The pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control while maneuvering. Contributing to the accident was the pilot's lack of recent flight experience and his total lack of experience in the accident airplane model.

06/08/2009 07/22/2010 Brevard, NC SORENSON LIGHTNING N130DS ERA09LA329 Fatal(2)

NTSB Identification: ERA09LA329

Accident occurred Monday, June 08, 2009 in Brevard, NC

Probable Cause Approval Date: 07/22/2010

Aircraft: SORENSON LIGHTNING, registration: N130DS

Injuries: 2 Fatal.

• Both pilots failure to maintain adequate airspeed while maneuvering after a loss of engine power for undetermined reasons, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall.

02/08/2006 03/26/2007 Oakdale, CA Hooker Zodiac 601XL N105RH LAX06LA105 Fatal(2)

NTSB Identification: LAX06LA105

The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division

Accident occurred Wednesday, February 08, 2006 in Oakdale, CA

Probable Cause Approval Date: 03/26/2007

Aircraft: Hooker Zodiac 601XL, registration: N105RH

Injuries: 2 Fatal.

• the structural failure of the wings for undetermined reasons.

Do you want more ??

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1