Light Aircraft down near Camden

Not being a member of RAA-Aus, I can't access the registrations database on its site. Maybe a member would do it for us?

Also, I would have thought that since the RAA is a smallish community, there would be people here who would recognise the airplane involved, or might have some information on who normally flies it.

Or maybe everyone has been head down, tail up in their hangars doing maintenance since the weather on the east coast has been 8/8 crappy, and today it's 8/8 'let's commit aviation!"

OME

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... people posting get slammed down for no real reason and lose interest in communicating?

Sorry if you feel that you got "slammed" I didn't see it that way. Some of the views expressed on this site can be pretty polarized (or seen by some as polarized) but that doesn't always mean the people are playing the man not the ball. but it can be a rough and tumble playground sometimes. You may get to recognise the barrow pushers, bullies, trolls and naysayers if you stay around long enough. You may also get to recognise those who have some experience and knowledge to back up their posts.

I got a bollocking from one well known member not long after I joined because he thought I shouldn't post (other than to agree with his pronouncements of facts) because I was so new to the site, and that if I stuck around for a while and kept my mouth shut I would come understand what was right and what was not. Screw that!

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep posting.

• Like 3

I'm astounded that it is now Sunday nearly 60 hours since the report was received and the registration number of the airplane was given, that no one has come on here and identified its owner/operator, or if the information was to hand, the name of the pilot. Previous reports of incidents on this site have quickly provided these facts, if only so that people can voice their commiserations. Why, in this case, the information black-out?OME

Everyone is holding off, waiting for that journal of erudition and truth, the Daily Telegraph, to cobble together a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

• Winner 2

Sounds like they were born to be farmers Col, starting off with something worthwhile and whittling it into something useless (unless you are a sow!)

Did you mean it that way around col?038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif I'm worried I'm starting to get more like Dazza:hide:

In the news feeds on the Home page, an item about a small plane crashing short of a private field in Arizona. Lists it as a Jabiru 3300.

In the news feeds on the Home page, an item about a small plane crashing short of a private field in Arizona. Lists it as a Jabiru 3300.

Very lucky.....so close to the power lines.

Sounds like they were born to be farmers Col, starting off with something worthwhile and whittling it into something useless (unless you are a sow!)Did you mean it that way around col?038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif I'm worried I'm starting to get more like Dazza:hide:

Whittling - no, not at all - the Telegraph starts with something innocuous and conflate with rumour, inuendo, misinformation and bile to wholly transform the narrative into something totally useless except to a conspiracy theorist. By contrast farmers' re-purposing usually works very well. gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

• Like 1

Facts are it crashed well short of it's destination, so who needs to worry about where it was going, the donk stopped and so did it, in a creek

So the only facts that are credible is it didn't make it to wherever it was intended to go and the people survived

• Agree 2

All posturing on the wonderful survivability and general "likability" of the Jabiru airframe aside, based on first-hand discussions with professionals who have maintained and recovered a number of Jabiru engines, I can confidently say that if you gave me one, I would on-sell it to a metal recycler. Harsh I know, but that's the way it is.

I might be able to tolerate the ongoing issues if I had an aircraft with two of them. But when you only have one, it gets a bit more critical.

• Agree 2

All posturing on the wonderful survivability and general "likability" of the Jabiru airframe aside, based on first-hand discussions with professionals who have maintained and recovered a number of Jabiru engines, I can confidently say that if you gave me one, I would on-sell it to a metal recycler. Harsh I know, but that's the way it is.I might be able to tolerate the ongoing issues if I had an aircraft with two of them. But when you only have one, it gets a bit more critical.

There is a good market for them down the Wynnum waterfront as Boat Anchors LOL. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All posturing on the wonderful survivability and general "likability" of the Jabiru airframe aside, based on first-hand discussions with professionals who have maintained and recovered a number of Jabiru engines, I can confidently say that if you gave me one, I would on-sell it to a metal recycler. Harsh I know, but that's the way it is.I might be able to tolerate the ongoing issues if I had an aircraft with two of them. But when you only have one, it gets a bit more critical.

Well they do say that in light twins, the second engine just flys you to the crash site.

As for first hand discussions, I guess it all depends on which professionals you have the discussions with. Not saying your , or their opinion is invalid, just that it's an opinion, Everyone has em.

• Agree 2

Not saying your , or their opinion is invalid, just that it's an opinion, Everyone has em.

My opinion on Jabirus is not worth a pinch of salt.

The opinion of the blokes I speak to who have professionally serviced, recovered, and torn down for accident investigations a number of Jab engines actually is worth a pinch of salt....or two....or even three.

My opinion on the Jab overall (which again, is not worth a pinch of salt), is that if it was coupled with a robust, hardy, tolerant engine, it has the potential to be a wonderful and highly reputable LSA. Alas..........

what I see in the photo I posted is a prop unbroken and the nose of the aircraft undamaged - so the cockpit area was not tested. On the other hand the components which hit the trees were smashed to pieces.

This does not confirm crash-worthiness, just that the aircraft luckily connected the trees with non-safety components and that washed off its speed to virtually zero.

• Like 1

The ultralight crash at Petaluma USA was an experimental Quicksilver MXL. Is this the crash Red750 posted about?

" In the news feeds on the Home page, an item about a small plane crashing short of a private field in Arizona. Lists it as a Jabiru 3300."

I might be able to tolerate the ongoing issues if I had an aircraft with two of them. But when you only have one, it gets a bit more critical.

Twice the number of engines, twice the chance of a failure. The only statistical benefit is the unlikelihood of simultaneous failure.

Well, believe it or not there should be a substantial database of failures for you to prove out your theories in the NTSB files.

Hint - the Insurers always seem to know the odds.

It's been five days since this happened and still no confirmed information about the owner or operator of the airplane, nor of the PIC. This is a most unusual occurrence for this forum.

What's behind the lack of information? Was the airplane being operated by ASIO on some clandestine mission? Are our drug lords using airplanes to transport their vile products between cities to avoid interception by Police?

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

A conspiracy theory is in its embryonic stages!

OME