Dripping fuel drain

The fuel drain under my Jabiru is dripping at about 1 drip every 10 seconds. I've stabbed the drain bottle prong in it in a vigorous manner hoping to dislodge whatever is causing it to drip. However, it may be that the thing needs replacing, it's over 5 years old. No information could be found in the dozens of pdf files I have on the Jabiru and no help using Google. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Now, because I have no booz and the pubs are closed, I shall calculate how long the 70 litres of fuel I have will take to drain, based on a drip diameter of 3 mm and a drip rate of 360 drips per hour. I shall use my Texas Instruments TI-89 to perform the task. God, I'm bored....

• Haha 1

The fuel drain under my Jabiru is dripping at about 1 drip every 10 seconds. I've stabbed the drain bottle prong in it in a vigorous manner hoping to dislodge whatever is causing it to drip. However, it may be that the thing needs replacing, it's over 5 years old. No information could be found in the dozens of pdf files I have on the Jabiru and no help using Google. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Now, because I have no booz and the pubs are closed, I shall calculate how long the 70 litres of fuel I have will take to drain, based on a drip diameter of 3 mm and a drip rate of 360 drips per hour. I shall use my Texas Instruments TI-89 to perform the task. God, I'm bored....

Good luck getting it out, ol mate had hell ova job, all but destroyed the tank insert as corrosion had set in. ( seized .. Stressed the tank area ) Lots of care, penetrating oil etc, beforehand.

The boredom thing.....nar, can't help you there.

If it's the head tank fuel drain ,then isolate the fuel from each wing tank into it ( clamp,plug or whatever to stop fuel flow ) ,then the most you should lose is the 5 or so litres in the head tank . I'm not sure where your head tank is located . Early Jabs had the tank under the passenger seat and the drain accessible from underneath , they also had isolating c:cks from each wing tank .I think the later 24 Regd. Jabs had the head tank behind the passenger seat . Be careful when removing the drain not to disturb the female part which is glassed in ......... Bob

To stop the leaking until you can get a replacement - remove the drain and screw in a 3/8 UNF bolt.

• Like 1

Frank has the right idea. If you can't turn off the fuel, just get an AN3 bolt ready. remove the drain, put finger quickly over hole. Get bolt ready. remove finger and put bolt in. You will lose very little fuel, just make sure you are not smoking as you do it.

When you have the seal in your hand, you will see how it works. The usual cause of leakage is a bit of rubbish stopping the "O" ring from seating. Push up the stem and clear any debris, if necessary remove and clean the "O" ring and replace it. We used to be able to buy the "O" rings, but the powers that be have decided that with the drains being so cheap, we should replace them. Last time I loked they were about $10 in the USA and over $30 here, so I bought a spare from the US and just clean as required. With aluminium tanks there is very little chance of removing every piece of swarf from construction and I have had both my drains leak, but cleaning fixed the problem each time.

• Informative 1