Admin

Tell us about your last flight

Hongie
Had a nice flight around the Pioneer Valley in the spirit of ANZAC. Flying over some mates property. Cheers

snip snip

*in the voice of little red ridding hood*

and who's been parking outside *MY* hangar!?!!!?

awesome pics mike, looks like a good flight. I was looking skyward all day wishing I could fly

Blueadventures
*in the voice of little red ridding hood*

and who's been parking outside *MY* hangar!?!!!?

awesome pics mike, looks like a good flight. I was looking skyward all day wishing I could fly

I saw that; and the tail is blocking the taxiway a bit; lucky the cane isn't growing yet so the others can still go down the old 18/36. When you home with the RV? The autumn weather is great. Plan to gets lots of flying in from late May to late June as have holidays booked. Cheers

anyone know how to add a video here? All it says file does not have an allowed extension. It's 19 secs long!

red750

'Extension' refers to the letters after the dot, eg. .wmv, .avi, .mp4, etc. What is the extension on your video? Have you tried uploading it to the media section and posting a link to it? I think the media section accepts more extension types.

giantkingsquid
Its been awhile since i have written a post in here - might have to start changing this. .

My last flight was a trip in a JAB230D - from YORG to YTRE ( 30Mar 18) - i have been working in Bathurst for REX as a ground handler and not been home for 4 weeks, i didn't fancy the terrible long trip, delays from traffic etc.

Luckily a mate had a JAB for hire - an easy under 2-hour flight, smooth as can be and a tailwind. I was happy to be on the ground in Taree - Good Friday by 1030am. Spent 2 days relaxing with family to fly back on Easter Sunday - again smooth conditions and 2 hour flight time.

Since moving to Taree i don't do anywhere as much flying as I did when working as an instructor in Bathurst with Central West Flying . I take the option of going for a buzz as much as possible when i get a chance.

See image of Lake Saint claire park on way back Sunday.

[ATTACH=full]54572[/ATTACH]

I suspect I was turning base in a Warrior when you departed YORG. It was a lovely morning :)

poteroo

Just back from ferry flight Kilcoy,Q to Albany WA in RV6 VH-MJH with new owner. Conversion training en route and another 3 hrs once back home.

Route was Kilcoy - Moree - Bourke - Broken Hill - Port Pirie (o/n) - Ceduna (o/n due wx) - Forrest - Kalgoorlie - Albany. [refuelled to 140L all these locations]

Total distance = 2063 nm

Total engine hrs = 15.8

Total flight hrs = 14.9

139 kts GS, (from 150KTAS), isn't shabby for an E to W transit, but we were more often below 2500 to keep out of the westerlies, so fuel burn was well above 33LPH with the 180HP engine.

Avoided the coastal Nullarbor transit due frontal wx, which was fortuitous indeed as winds reached 100kph along the southern coast. Via Forrest is a prudent route in winter months.

An interesting thing with BP fuel carnets - one card was very erratic, one worked every time - even when inserted in reverse! Carry a backup card. Most bowsers didn't have operative printouts - so be sure to take a pic of the bowser readout when completed....just to check your statements later.

happy days,

poteroo

Further to the above post - pics

VH-MJH 6339_1519357873.jpg

VH-MJH_Vans_RV-6_(12163765325).jpg

VH-MJH_Vans_RV-6_(12164774994).jpg

Blueadventures

Tried the Gopro under the back for a wheels view of the flight yesterday.  The location of the mount is a little bouncy so I'll move it some time to a more rigid position.  Conditions were great.  Being on call with work I needed to stay in the local to the West of Mackay area so I'd be back at the field in 30 minutes.  Did another flight today and the weather was not as good; that's flying.  Good fun all the same.  Sandy flew with me today so that was another highlight.  Cheers

shafs64

Nice video. I was checking out all the cane farms i take fuel too

giantkingsquid
4 hours ago, poteroo said:

Just back from ferry flight Kilcoy,Q to Albany WA in RV6 VH-MJH with new owner. Conversion training en route and another 3 hrs once back home.

Route was Kilcoy - Moree - Bourke - Broken Hill - Port Pirie (o/n) - Ceduna (o/n due wx) - Forrest - Kalgoorlie - Albany. [refuelled to 140L all these locations]

Total distance = 2063 nm

Total engine hrs = 15.8

Total flight hrs = 14.9

139 kts GS, (from 150KTAS), isn't shabby for an E to W transit, but we were more often below 2500 to keep out of the westerlies, so fuel burn was well above 33LPH with the 180HP engine.

Avoided the coastal Nullarbor transit due frontal wx, which was fortuitous indeed as winds reached 100kph along the southern coast. Via Forrest is a prudent route in winter months.

An interesting thing with BP fuel carnets - one card was very erratic, one worked every time - even when inserted in reverse! Carry a backup card. Most bowsers didn't have operative printouts - so be sure to take a pic of the bowser readout when completed....just to check your statements later.

happy days,

Sounds like a great trip!

giantkingsquid
Posted (edited)

My last flight was a few weeks ago. Took my first passenger up for a fly. My dad volunteered to be the guinea pig which was nice of him 😉

It was a beautiful morning, cool on the ground, with a stiff breeze blowing straight down the runway.

P1040773.thumb.jpg.5c3d88fa283c8b35e3b2af4c6e75fbbd.jpg

I hadn't flown for a month so we did a few circuits first to make sure I still knew what I was doing. Looking back towards Orange:

P1040786.thumb.jpg.f2f369f1ae8608e8523389d98a5cc07d.jpg

Then we headed over to the Cadia mine for a sticky beak. It's a bloody big place, Australia's most productive underground mine, mining 30 Mtpa!

P1040806.thumb.jpg.14015f5c406fa35ab89aa1578862df67.jpg

P1040802.thumb.jpg.c62191ca852f329c4aa9283bace945aa.jpg

I then took us over Cudal and on to Manildra. It's very dry here at the moment, the poor old sheep have got a rough trot of it ☹️

P1040794.thumb.jpg.88ce298d1f8a5273e5678cf6410fc4b4.jpg

P1040791.thumb.jpg.2bce55efd00c271b071edb64b4774712.jpg

And finally back to land on runway 11 at Orange.

P1040792.thumb.jpg.79bc32c214acc07ae010c0fdc3f032e6.jpg

All in all, it was a fun flight, Dad had a great time checking out the scenery and taking the lovely photos; I was pretty busy making sure my first passenger carrying flight was a successful one!

Edited by giantkingsquid

Phil Perry
Posted (edited)

Had a recent flight in a Sportcruiser.

Not overly impressed.  This is the Marque that Piper took on for a while, and then rejected.    It is quite a heavy composite airframe, and I believe that the machine is Under - powered using the Rotax 912 100 HP engine.

It looks a million dollars, . . very sleek and you'd think, from looking at it,. . . . that it ought to cruise at around 130 odd Knots. . .no way Jose,. . .  88 Kt was all we managed at cruise throttle setting. . . .OK I am a fat Barstard I admit,. . but the Commander was a stick insect. . .around nine stones in his undies I reckon. . . .I am twice that !

I reckon that, re-fitted with a 914,. . .or a continental,  it might shine !   My mate's RV4 does 145 Kt with a smallish 'Conti' up front. . . .

Edited by Phil Perry
    Added text.

Vlad

Met a trike over New York City the other day. 

trike over NYC - 1.jpg

trike over NYC - 1 (1).jpg

Butch
9 hours ago, Vlad said:

Met a trike over New York City the other day.

Is that legal in the US or was it a cowboy pilot ?

Phil Perry

Flying over a heavily congested area like that can't be a Really Good idea . . .

Mind you,. . .there is a precedent now,. . .in an emergency he could always use the Hudson ?

Vlad
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Butch said:

Is that legal in the US or was it a cowboy pilot ?

It is legal. There is a VFR corridor cut through busy airspace. With clearly determined altitudes and self reporting points. The trike had a transponder and a radio sounded a bit scratchy though.

It was early morning I complimented and he rocked his soft wings really cool sight. I fly in the corridor very often and I've seen a lot of strange machines there over the years. Trike was the first one.

That's a nice video JG3. Taken off from my airport. There is my RV parked just across the big community hangar. Small world very small.

Solberg N51 - 1.jpg

Edited by Vlad

DenisPC9
On 4/15/2018 at 7:23 PM, Graham Pukallus said:

Cooloola Cove Flyin Lunch, organised by the Monduran Aero Club.

A Big success, and a big thanks to all concerned especially Rod at Cooloola for a great day with 23 planes and well over 50 people in attendance.

Look forward to the next one.

The photos say it all with picture perfect weather.

What type is that one on pix 3 on the left.  It has a sort of modified C130 undercarriage and by the looks of it, very stubby wings :idea:

Graham Pukallus
Posted (edited)

Famous Straddie Breakfast, top day enjoyed by all.

34 planes arrived in picture perfect conditions.

Photos say it all.

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

Edited by Graham Pukallus
    Photos didn't attach the first time

cscotthendry

We went on another Puk Airlines Adventure. 2114 NM in 12 days. Dinosaurs, Crocodiles, Flies, bloody flies, Sunsets and LOTS more.

Pics are

Our track

Refuelling at Dingo

ADELS Grove

ADELS Grove

Normanton railway station

Weird scenery at Gilberton Station

Gold found at Gilberton

Catalina base at Bowen

Singing Sail at Emu Park

Last night together at Emu Park

Sunset cruise at Karumba

Campfire dinner at Gilberton Station

Dinosaurs at Winton

Rock formation at the Jump Up at Dinosaur park at Winton

In front of Krys the Savannah King Croc at Normanton. 28 feet long.

Track Northern Safari.jpg

DSCN3006.JPG

DSCN3300.JPG

DSCN3413.JPG

DSCN3519.JPG

DSCN3768.JPG

DSCN3863.JPG

DSCN4059.JPG

DSCN4164.JPG

DSCN4181.JPG

DSCN3606.JPG

DSCN3845.JPG

DSCN3144.JPG

DSCN3160.JPG

DSCN3557.JPG

ClintonB

When filling up at servo’s like that what are you taking on board. My certificate to run Mogas talks only about Super at 86 octane or higher (best grade available) I assume that because it was written in 1986 the fuel was good old fashioned leaded petrol. Would running 98 premium without lead be ok in O 470 R.

The trip looked like it would be great fun to do.

cheers

Clinton

cscotthendry

At Dingo, we filled up at the 95RON pump. They didn't have 98, but the Rotax is rated for 95, so all good for us. For most of the rest of the trip we filled up with avgas, so the mogas would have diluted that some.

mnewbery
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ClintonB said:

When filling up at servo’s like that what are you taking on board. My certificate to run Mogas talks only about Super at 86 octane or higher (best grade available) I assume that because it was written in 1986 the fuel was good old fashioned leaded petrol. Would running 98 premium without lead be ok in O 470 R.

The trip looked like it would be great fun to do.

cheers

Clinton

There are two certifications - one for the engine and one for the air frame. I won't go into it here because there is so much data already available. I am being very general here but typically, high wing aircraft don't suffer from vapour lock like low wing aircraft can because of the height of the fuel tank above or below the pump(s).

80 Octane (Red) aviation petrol has a low vapour pressure and this is part of the ASTM standard. Car petrol might or might not perform the same way in terms of vapour pressure and performance under cold temperatures (e.g. up in the flight levels). A high wing tank goes some way to getting around the vapour pressure issue

Edited by mnewbery
    typo