Hello from Western Australia!

Student pilot, just a few lessons in with many more to come!

Heres a time-lapse and highlight video of my first proper lesson. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPxriyaEHM

would love some subscribers and likes to keep me motivated to make more.

thank you and looking forward to contributing to this community!

• Like 3

Welcome and best of luck, keep us posted! Where in WA are you flying out of? do you have the non-time-lapse, non-music version? I think most of us like to see and hear what's going on. :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Welcome and best of luck, keep us posted! Where in WA are you flying out of? do you have the non-time-lapse, non-music version? I think most of us like to see and hear what's going on. :-)

flying out of Geraldton (YGEL), currently dont have to an audio connector for my GoPro, so the audio wasn't very good so thats the reason for the music and time-lapse.

But I did just recently purchase an adapter so my next video will have audio!

• Like 1

Student pilot, just a few lessons in with many more to come!Heres a time-lapse and highlight video of my first proper lesson. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPxriyaEHM

would love some subscribers and likes to keep me motivated to make more.

thank you and looking forward to contributing to this community!

Hey Andrew,

Great video! YGEL looks like a great place to fly. Would be interesting to mix it up with rpt traffic.

I have subscribed to your channel on youtube and will post a link on my twitter of your video.

Looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 1

Hey Andrew,Great video! YGEL looks like a great place to fly. Would be interesting to mix it up with rpt traffic.

I have subscribed to your channel on youtube and will post a link on my twitter of your video.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks heaps!

YGEL has just a few jets and turboprops here and there during the day and quite a bit of charter work also but i think its a great place to learn without too much stress regarding other traffic(whilst still being exposed a bit), currently studying a short course at uni so i am just flying for fun until i can regain full time work hours and fly a lot more and then you'll be seeing loads of videos posted! thanks soooo much for sharing it!

(p.s. if you ever get the chance to fly in Geraldton, you definitely wont regret it! amazing and beautiful place from the sky!)

http://i.imgur.com/QAWSsdY.jpg

• Like 1

Have to agree there Adam,. . . . .I MUCH prefer to see a FLYVID without the postproduction music track,. . .which seems to be a "Must Do" on a lot of these videos, ?. . . .what for, escapes me,. . .I would MUCH rather listen to the flying instructor yelling things like,. . ." You dickhead,. . .are you trying to kill us ? ? ? " and that kind of stuff, which is much more pertinent, amusing and INTERESTING. . . . to flight training and videos of same, without Pink Floyd superimposed,. . .much rather listen to the radio calls, the instructor patter,. . .and save the movie stuff until flight training is all over, and then make a movie about flying in some interesting places, then,. . .by all means intersperse the film with a bit of APPROPRIATE music ( if you must ! ) otherwise it's a bit pointless in my own, narrow minded, measly, horrible opinion. . . . . ( ! )

This feeling probably originates from my own flight training woes,. . .WHICH HAD NO musical accompanimant whatsoever, . . . .just a surfeit of curses and threats from the miserable bar$tard who was trying his best to convert this complete idiot into some sort of half-safe aviator. . . . . . . .

ANYHOW Andrew,. . . . . don't let some miserable Pommie Git put you off from posting further stuff mate ! ! ! ! But can you use some more appropriate soundtracks like,. . .er,. . . . those magnificent men in their flying machines,. . . .? . . . .OR,. . . . when you are doing your SPIN training,. . . .Queen's "Who wants. . .to live. . . .Forever. . . . .. . ." etc. . . . . ( ! )

Phil.

• Like 1

Have to agree there Adam,. . . . .I MUCH prefer to see a FLYVID without the postproduction music track,. . .which seems to be a "Must Do" on a lot of these videos, ?. . . .what for, escapes me,. . .I would MUCH rather listen to the flying instructor yelling things like,. . ." You dickhead,. . .are you trying to kill us ? ? ? " and that kind of stuff, which is much more pertinent, amusing and INTERESTING. . . . to flight training and videos of same, without Pink Floyd superimposed,. . .much rather listen to the radio calls, the instructor patter,. . .and save the movie stuff until flight training is all over, and then make a movie about flying in some interesting places, then,. . .by all means intersperse the film with a bit of APPROPRIATE music ( if you must ! ) otherwise it's a bit pointless in my own, narrow minded, measly, horrible opinion. . . . . ( ! )This feeling probably originates from my own flight training woes,. . .WHICH HAD NO musical accompanimant whatsoever, . . . .just a surfeit of curses and threats from the miserable bar$tard who was trying his best to convert this complete idiot into some sort of half-safe aviator. . . . . . . .

ANYHOW Andrew,. . . . . don't let some miserable Pommie Git put you off from posting further stuff mate ! ! ! ! But can you use some more appropriate soundtracks like,. . .er,. . . . those magnificent men in their flying machines,. . . .? . . . .OR,. . . . when you are doing your SPIN training,. . . .Queen's "Who wants. . .to live. . . .Forever. . . . .. . ." etc. . . . . ( ! )

Phil.

HaHa thanks Phil.

i still dont have an adapter to record audio through my GoPro, i have one ordered so after my next video expect longer videos with cockpit audio.

i found the sound to be really screwed up and a time-lapse seemed to be the only real option for me. but thanks for all the suggestions! I always appreciate it.

thanks,

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

As you'll find out, most pilots are a little 'technical' and so really like to hear and see the numbers for a flight. When someone posts a 'round Australia' story and there's not a single fact about power settings, fuel burn, refuelling points & prices and weather facts - you'll hear a lot of teeth gnashing from the techno pilots. As Phil said, being able to hear your CTAF radio traffic, plus the instructors' patter is quite informative and gives your aviation vid some real guts. We can hear loud music anywhere.

BTW, I began my WA life flying in/out of YGEL in a beat-up C180 back in early 1970. There was no Dongara strip in those days and we used to land on the 'straight' of their race-course. At GEL, I used to land on one farm strip on the road to Nabawa - before you reach the top of the hills. There was also another strip just past Moonyoonooka on the N side of the Mullewa road too. YGEL airport may have several new 'terminals' but the strip layout is much the same as it was in 1970, and that not much different to 1945 when it was RAAF. In fact, it's one of the very few 3 runway triangular airports still in use. Perth was one of these until they closed 11-29 in about 1990. Great choice of landing options - which you'll learn to appreciate because the wind certainly blows in that region.

best of luck with your training, happy days,

• 2 weeks later...

i decided to make this video just an approach and departure time-lapse as the nature of this lesson was repetitive.

A few things before the link is posted, I expected to have an audio adapter prior to this lesson, but that didn't happen. so all i've done is removed/lowered the music at takeoff and landing. so sorry about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWpKXYmEgRc

as always subscribe/like/comment to keep me motivated to make various videos in the future :D

• Like 2

nice smooth landing there.. seemed like a really long takeoff roll though, hot day? had to laugh at all the flies in the cockpit, gotta wonder what they are thinking! wheeeeeeeeee!!

• Like 2

nice smooth landing there.. seemed like a really long takeoff roll though, hot day? had to laugh at all the flies in the cockpit, gotta wonder what they are thinking! wheeeeeeeeee!!

wasn't too hot compared to usual in Geraldton, also not much of a headwind really! Must of been a great experience for those fly's going that fast for once 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 1

That's something instructors should emphasise. It's the first time a student has experienced it. (Stating the obvious) BUT... Nev

No Nev, they need to leave something to surprise us. It could be boring otherwise. "NOT"

hah just wait till you solo - that thing will leap off there in half the distance! You won't need to speed that video up!!

It's a 1975 Cessna 172. They never leap off the ground! Now, if it was a modern RAAus aircraft with a Rotax 912uls such as a Foxbat, Sportstar or similar it really would leap off the ground.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It's a 1975 Cessna 172. They never leap off the ground! Now, if it was a modern RAAus aircraft with a Rotax 912uls such as a Foxbat, Sportstar or similar it really would leap off the ground.

Yep. . . .even on a downwind takeoff ! !

I think it was a downwind departure (to the training area), not a downwind take off.

OK after rewatching the Video I agree. A downwind departure to the training area. I think a downwind takeoff on second lesson would have been more fun though.075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

I had to do a downwind power off landing on my certificate test, If I never have to do another one, it will be to soon. Having said that I guess some practice couldn't hurt. It took every bit of runway I had and then some.

I think it was a downwind departure (to the training area), not a downwind take off.

you're right, We took off upwind, turned downwind then headed for the training area, apologies for the confusion!