Hangar Doors

When pricing concrete it pays to talk to your shed provider and see who they have worked with before, when you need footings and base brackets in the right spot you don't want to get caught out with a cheap concreter who puts them in the wrong spot. Often the shed supplier will have worked with local concretors and may have had time to sort the good from the bad.

I will post one final point - DO NOT OP FOR CAST IN BRACKETS its a long story but once on a DA very expensive to change.

The better option is to mark out and use chem sets.

Hangers building for this guy is strictly a spectator sport.

Just tossing this out as a concept - what about multiple (as many as you like) concertina doors, hinged to each other with a 4-wheel bogie in the middle of each door running top and bottom in tracks? That way you can build them as light as you like (thinking zincalume riveted to square aluminium tube frame), the top and bottom tracks should hold against wind, especially if you padbolt on each door section when closed.

My hangar was done by Fair Dinkum sheds..they are signitories to this new association to make sure the ratings of the shed are correct it came about after a cyclone up north and all the sheds blew away that were rated for it. The shed design and construction is the best I have seen especially for the money. I have to stress I am happy with the shed and the design..its just the nongs who did the doors. The doors were a klusterf*ck. That though was the shed erectors had never done them before but they did such a good job on the hangar. The erectors were a contractor/agent for fair dinkum sheds. My hangar is 15 metre opening/wide and 18 metres long the gutters are 4.5 metres from the ground and the peak of the roof is 6 metres off the ground. There are 5 bearing type whirly birds on the roof and a 3metre wide roller door in the rear. It is all concreted floor. Shed cost inc the doors and the concrete was total $71,000 all done at my farm some 50km west of Bundaberg. I had quotes for the same size up over 100,000 bucks.

I have some pics of the bottom rollers and tracks..just have to find them. The unistruts are now much straighter and its 90% there...I just have to tidy up the other 10%.

The $71,000 was total price installed

Mark

IMG_2042_5.jpg.3286594b344cfdab29198f7fd9dac4a4.jpg

DSC_5547_5.jpg.005ac97263cddf525c337f839bdbd3d9.jpg

DSC_5537_5.jpg.19a8e2ac562b4ddd2e79bb2034c9b5f2.jpg

IMG_0076_5.jpg.fd58709fbf8b2426760d7026f911b065.jpg

IMG_1727_5.jpg.17c85773cba83153c8516959dc253e37.jpg

IMG_1833_5.jpg.989b763d1c9b1df82151b50bc5bbe7ed.jpg

IMG_1840_5.jpg.37ee9802fd5655eb8190bd54fb78974f.jpg

IMG_2039_5.jpg.b15e32404892067453259ee3554eb8c0.jpg

I have concertina doors on the hangar at Ycab...they are a huge pain in the bum..they always need adjusting and they bind if you dont do it in a specific order. The hangar owner has tried at least 3 times since I have been in there to fix them...this latest time they are the best they have been ...but are still crap

• Like 1

I can get it done partially or the whole thing done for you here. One of my cities expertise is higher quality steel structures and I'm hooked up with a couple of very good factories - by any World standard, forget the 'Made in China' nonsense.I would be very keen to offer my time as large hangars are something I'm keen to get into, already had a number of inquiries from the US.

Hi Bex. Interesting. I'll send you a message......

I have concertina doors on the hangar at Ycab...they are a huge pain in the bum..they always need adjusting and they bind if you dont do it in a specific order. The hangar owner has tried at least 3 times since I have been in there to fix them...this latest time they are the best they have been ...but are still crap

Great looking shed! I'm starting to think 100k may not be realistic for a 18 x 36. One of the guys that works on the property used to be a concreter, so the original plan was to get the concrete supplied and get him to take care of it. But reading these posts, I'm starting to question that....

I had quite a few quotes one was even $110,000 for the same thing. I had to ask the guy 3 times if his cost for the concrete floor was correct. It was $22,000 which seemed extremely cheap to me but he said that was the price. The prep work was excellent and the slab was excellent quality as well. My mate was there when they were pouring it and he said everything was done correctly. It was $13,000 for the erecting and the balance was the shed and doors cost.

My mate did the earthworks with my tractor so the slab could be done so there would be extra cost if you had to get someone to prepare the pad for the floor

I will post one final point - DO NOT OP FOR CAST IN BRACKETS its a long story but once on a DA very expensive to change. The better option is to mark out and use chem sets.

Hangers building for this guy is strictly a spectator sport.

I've got cast in "stirups" about 500mm deep in concrete. I wouldn't trust any sizable structure with any other form of retaining.

These are not garden sheds.

• Agree 1

Anyone seen good floor options other than concrete?

I have compacted gravel, with a layer of plastic then second hand carpet. It's nice to kneel on when you are pumping up the tyres.

Another bloke I know used recycled concrete then helicoptered in extra cement in the surface. You need to be told it is not concrete..

Just did a quick test quote..15 x 18 hangar/slab/erection/sliding Eltrack doors for around the $70k to $75 depending on where it is to be built..obviously if it was to far away from Caboolture I could not supply the slab or erection but I can still give you a great building with the doors no matter where you live...

http://australiansteelsheds.com.au/

David.

• Informative 1

There are a couple of fairly new hangars at the north end of Jandakot (WA) that have bi-fold vertical doors. No idea of their cost.

When I was building my hangar 10 years ago the ones from USA were prohibitively e xpensive when you added in exchange rate shipping, tax, etc.

My hangar is a bit overbuilt but is very solid. 24m x 18m concrete floor and built in 2 level accomodation.

Door opening is 20m x 4m (IIRC) with 4 doors each with 2 bottom rollers and nylon guides at the top.

Bottom rollers used to be bushed but now have ball bearings and the rather heavy doors glide effortlessly (once the initial inertia is overcome).

The bottom tracks are about 6mm wide and stand clear of the concrete into which they are set by about 10mm.

Build it solid - especially the doors. Even if it costs a bit more (which it probable will) you will not regret it in the long run.

1025171174_05Thefrontofthehangar.JPG.7a9e4f6e34de23f97b30a31f3d197f0a.JPG

It attracts these:

Tigers-at-Dajenup-2.jpg.89889bd284f8f8da96e5750a9c6d69a4.jpg

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

hangar I'm in has hinged doors - built more than 20 years - see attached

hinges are simple bolt connections

doors latch at top to roof frame - drop bolts for each door to slab - each set of 2 doors has a jokey wheel at centre hinge with a concrete track - simple, not many moving parts - antiquated, old an remarkably reliable

hangar doors.pdf

hangar doors.pdf

hangar doors.pdf

There are a couple of fairly new hangars at the north end of Jandakot (WA) ............

It attracts these:

I've been wondering where the secret air force base is in WA, off to lodge a report to my Comrades immediately.

• Haha 1

I've been wondering where the secret air force base is in WA, off to lodge a report to my Comrades immediately.

I don't think the Chinese Air Force has much to worry about from a flock of Tiger Moths, no matter how good their pilots are...