Tucano Replica

Tucano

The budget is about $130K and factory aircraft is priced at $120000 euro so building is cost effective.

I gather the $134K was a shock but the company seeking to produce a premium product and I agree with that. There is little room for another low cost high wing or a pencil sharp plastic aircraft.

The target market is for ultralight military replica's so that is why the Hurricane is undergoing redesign for production.

They are but currently they do not have the necessary certificates to allow registration in Australia. A BUDGET cost estimate in $A190000

If we are approached we will have to re-visit the area. I am sure based on the reading of the rules but would have to speak to a independent consultant in this area as it is a mine field.

Guest Howard Hughes
If I won the lotto I would pay $134,000 for the kit and build it. I love the look and idea of it..but way over my spare cash now

Me too, thanks for the reminder... *scuttles off to buy lottery ticket* 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

For those after the technical details of the tanks

These new items are 200 mm OD x 1030 long and while currently only dummy's to examine the aerodynamic effects they will either be able to act as storage or as fuel tanks. As fuel tanks they are projected to hold 25 liters per side contained in bladder tanks installed in the cylinder.

Testing has indicated a 15 km/hr speed penalty when installed.

Cant understand the use of bladder tanks?

No-one's going to be shooting at it (we hope), which is the prime reason for bladder tanks.

I know many Cessna's use them, but just as many Cessna's don't, having sealed wet wings.

All the Cherokees have wet wings, and Mooneys.

Typical users of bladders are Beechcraft, and they're a pain in the a$$e.

I would like to fit nose gear doors

That would be nice, but I suspect the nose gear 'hole' is actually the outlet for the cowling.

I see your comments about ducting out via the dummy exhausts, but I'm explaining to those that missed the point..

Still love the look of it, and would also like to win lotto to get one and add the T-51 and Hurricane (also on the wish list).

Bladder tanks are used in the Tucano to offer speed of assembly. The main tanks fiberglass sleeve fits into the ribs, bladder installed and basically connect the fuel line, wire to the gauges and fit the supplied fuel caps. The tank is factory fitted with the fuel senders.

It's a goon bag for wings and if someone is shooting you need self sealing not bladder

What dose this mean to a builder - no need to seal up aluminium tanks and if you have not had to do it, consider yourself lucky.

The bladder in the auxiliary tanks is for the same reason - plug and play.

Bladder tanks are safer too! They tend to bend and deform rather than rupture like ally ones, the self sealing ones are a laminate construction, a layer of rubber then a layer of sealant in gel( goes hard and reacts with dual contact) then another layer of rubber.

That another advantage as they are regarded a explosion proof in a accident but in my opinion that they would be at worst a lot safer that a sealed wet wing that cracks open like a egg.

However the real intent is the speed of assembly, it should not take more that a weekend to fit the tanks completely

An alternate is rotational molded plastic - take a look at the Raven Eclipser trike - that is a big black 42L plastic tank under the keel held on with two bolts ... and if/when the main undercarriage goes it's on the ground ... and it it strong enough to take the entire weight of the aircraft and slide along to a stop without bursting ... trust me I KNOW it to be true - I have the bill to rebuild the plane to prove it :-(

But the tank was fine - just a couple of scratches - it pressure was tested and reused

raven.jpg.5789146f4085168a68f1ec400c0e5fdf.jpg

• 10 months later...

Yes there is and it has achieved FAA approval.

Once a package of information is ready from the factory I will be seeking approval in Australia based on the FAA acceptance.

A weight increase would be nice to allow the full 650 kg for both versions/

• Helpful 1

The budget is about $130K and factory aircraft is priced at $120000 euro so building is cost effective.I gather the $134K was a shock but the company seeking to produce a premium product and I agree with that. There is little room for another low cost high wing or a pencil sharp plastic aircraft.

The target market is for ultralight military replica's so that is why the Hurricane is undergoing redesign for production.

Hopefully the dollar will make a comeback and lower the price

It may but I would not place a bet on that happening - current price for the sports Tucano replica is $48000 euro.

The Tucano LSA kit will be about 15 - 20% cheaper with a fixed gear.

The ready to fly Tucano LSA will be just sub $200K with freight and taxes readt to fly based on the US price of $US125000 - kit price to be detemined