The sky is falling, the sky is falling

prwood

Rather a stupid argument. The German Wings pilot who killed so many people would have to have gone through all the supposedly efficient at weeding out medical checks. He still committed murder suicide if the reports are to be believed.

Maybe he did it because he knew he was going to fail his next medical.

Sophie Henshaw doen't seem to be very bright, subscribing to the argument she uses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

OMG how can they publish this crap & lay straight in bed at night.Herald Sun, today.[ATTACH=full]35027[/ATTACH]

The comments reported by this Journalist obviously knows bugger all about aviation. It would have been better if the Journalist reported on some issue that they knew something about rather than going off half cocked. According to the Journalists knowledge of aviation ( which is bugger all) then the Journalist could even have suggested the all Pilots be grounded forthwith & of course this is neither logical or practical worldwide.

Makes me want to crash my plane into their office....................:roflmao:And just to be clear that really was tongue in cheek and said in jest, please don't quote me out of context!!

• Like 1

Guest Redair

Oh bugger! Thought I was going to be the first to bring this to everyone's attention. I have just spent the last couple of hours typing out a very angry rebuke to this garbage which also found its way into the Advertiser, (South Australia).

Basically I had a bit of a hissy fit and suggested that the trash pedlar Matthew Benns should be forced to print an apology and correct the fictitious claims which he made. Perhaps everyone should send emails or letters to the editors of any publication that prints this crap.

Regards, Redair

Oh bugger! Thought I was going to be the first to bring this to everyone's attention. I have just spent the last couple of hours typing out a very angry rebuke to this garbage which also found its way into the Advertiser, (South Australia).Basically I had a bit of a hissy fit and suggested that the trash pedlar Matthew Benns should be forced to print an apology and correct the fictitious claims which he made. Perhaps everyone should send emails or letters to the editors of any publication that prints this crap.

Regards, Redair

I would suggest the best thing we could do about this article is to ignore it completely. It is such rubbish it will die a quick death. The media love a response to keep the article alive, any response, then they will get an "expert" to trash the response and get even more milage out of their rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest asmol

and what about every truck driver on the road, or what about every car driver that can take out the front door of a kindergarten or what about an IQ test for the people writing this rubbish! and now we are sharing the same airports as a 380 and can fly into it.

Matthew Benns, your mother would be ashamed of you !

Copy of my email:

As a recreational pilot I find your article ill informed, sensationalistic & offensive. I belong to a website that promotes & supports our freedom to fly. We are in general, a very responsible group of pilots numbering in excess of 7000 in Australia.

We receive extensive training, including human factors, before we are granted the privilege of flight. I don't know about the rest of the pilots but I undergo a fairly rigorous annual check up with my GP who has known me for the past 30 years. We fly for pleasure, mainly well away from controlled airspace. If, as has been suggested, we should undergo psychological or psychiatric testing then this ruling should be applied to bus drivers, truck drivers, hell, just ordinary motorists as they have the same opportunity to injure & kill others as we do.

As for Ron Bishop's claim that a third of us would probably lose our licences after these tests, give that the credence it deserves, exactly where did he pull that supposition from.

I have copied & pasted a few of the responses from my fellow aviators on our website:

Rather a stupid argument. The German Wings pilot who killed so many people would have to have gone through all the supposedly efficient at weeding out medical checks. He still committed murder suicide if the reports are to be believed.

Maybe he did it because he knew he was going to fail his next medical.

Sophie Henshaw doen't seem to be very bright, subscribing to the argument she uses.

The comments reported by this Journalist obviously knows bugger all about aviation. It would have been better if the Journalist reported on some issue that they knew something about rather than going off half cocked. According to the Journalists knowledge of aviation ( which is bugger all) then the Journalist could even have suggested the all Pilots be grounded forthwith & of course this is neither logical or practical worldwide.

Oh bugger! Thought I was going to be the first to bring this to everyone's attention. I have just spent the last couple of hours typing out a very angry rebuke to this garbage which also found its way into the Advertiser, (South Australia).

Basically I had a bit of a hissy fit and suggested that the trash pedlar Matthew Benns should be forced to print an apology and correct the fictitious claims which he made. Perhaps everyone should send emails or letters to the editors of any publication that prints this crap.

My C1 medical has had bugger all to do with psychometric testing... Hows also not doing psychometric testing of RA guys going to help? Idiots.

I am sure there will be many more similar responses

Peter

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

You didn't include my post Peter:amazon:

But seriously your letter hits it just about right, not crazy angry but firm with good points. I 100% agree with how you have done it.107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Makes me want to crash my plane into their office....................

You didn't include my post Peter:amazon:

He must have just missed it I think because you have covered a good point that the author should be made aware of!

• Informative 1

I would suggest the best thing we could do about this article is to ignore it completely. It is such rubbish it will die a quick death. The media love a response to keep the article alive, any response, then they will get an "expert" to trash the response and get even more milage out of their rubbish.

Happy is right. Don't give 'em oxygen.

You realise he is writing about the RPL, not the majority of you people offended?

Should this be given oxygen then you don't think there could be a flow on? Only takes one of the no policy senators trying to make a name for themselves to give this rot underserved credibility.

• Like 1

You realise he is writing about the RPL, not the majority of you people offended?

Yes, although I don't think he knows that, but then he goes on to connect pilots flying on a driver's licence medical with:

1. the alleged fears suddenly created in nameless professional pilots as a result of allowing RPL pilots into the air

2. pointing out the `unfortunate timing' just 6 months prior the airbus pilot's murderous suicide (hard to see the connection there, but he's trying to make one anyway)

3. implying that RPL holders may well be nutcases likely to bring airliners down with their winged weapons

4. ignoring the constraints that CASA has applied to prevent many people from actually getting the GP medical (obviously hasn't done his research)

5. Quoting (more likely misquoting) some clinical psychologist saying that while we can't really be sure that depressed commercial pilots won't slip though the screening process, that's not too much of a problem because the real psychopaths will probably be found among the ranks of the recreational fliers

6. That a tougher medical would weed out a third of recreational pilots (wasn't that the reason for introducing the `drivers licence medical'?)

7. Stating (without specific examples of course) that some pilots (presumably not just rec pilots, and maybe not even qualified pilots) have deliberately crashed into buildings and killed people (so he obviously saw the twin towers footage at least)

8. Summing up his enlightening article with a CASA spokesperson's comment that in fact recreational pilots are asked some basic psychological screening questions, thereby helping to refute one of the main points he was trying to make.

The whole thing is an incoherent mish-mash, and the less airplay it gets the better. However it wouldn't do any harm, although would probably be a waste of time, to sent this poorly informed reporter an email pointing out a few of his errors.

rgmwa

• Agree 2