My first air display

flyerme

Barossa Airshow 2015 12 April

A few weeks ago I recieved a ph call from the event organiser (whom had been desperately tracking me after seeing pics of my ww-1 beast on social media)asking if I would bring my 1916 replica to the show and perform a handling display ? Without second thought I agreed and was soon returning paper work for CASA approval...after an anxious wait I finally recieved the approval the day before fly out.. Phew.

Saturday the 11 th I was up at the crack of dawn ( ok that's a lie. I was up all night waiting ) I was ready to go by first light but old Murphy showed his ugly head! Total fog over..

By 9am fog lifted and I was soon on my way for the shortish 65 nm flight.

First 48nm was a breeze but after that it was all mountains ,.. I arrived at the rowland flat airfield safe and sound... 1 hr 19 mins and 14 secs.

Sunday day of show.

I arrived early and prepared my war horse for a practice run. Conditions were overcast slight crosswind and 8-10 knts gusty. Circuits went well but I found the noted ( pilot notes) wind shear on 08... I was thrown around , Sucked down and given a nice airframe thump but she held her ground but after touch down she was very ferocious ... With a skid or 2 I kept her on track ... At 10:30 we had the display pilot brief, at the end ,a prize was awarded to the first display pilot to submit their paper work and be approved by CASA .

Yay I won! Bottle of Shiraz

I was programmed for a 10 minute handling display at 2:05.

Winds were not favourable with a couple tail draggers making ... Interesting landings..

Wind shear was duly noted and I was really feeling nervous ..

There was around 5000 people watching!!! Lol

I had 2 awesome in costume ground crew and at 1:30 we headed over to my nieuport to start preparing her... We just made our way to the nieuport when the event organiser comes speeding up in his golf buggy yelling " Tim Tim, can you go up? NOW,!"

The extra300 had done a fuel pump so I was required to keep thing flowing....

My crew true to the era performed an authentic ww-1 aircraft scramble and I was soon back tracking 08.

On take off I new landing would be interesting when the wind was weather cocking me on the ground and drift on take off.

I performed 3 circuits with smoke display before the inevitable landing...

The strip is 600 mtrs and my home strip is 300 so I decided on the ol high , idle slip. From 500 on final near threshold I just killed power, side slipped, avoided wind shear, and greased her with 500 meters spare.... What a relief.......

I had non stop photos and back pats And I was fearing my head would not fit back in my helmet?

I departed early during the show as conditions were showing a head wind home, I was advised about rotor winds over the mountains but found nil wind again at 3500 ft...

Made it home safe ( but bloody cold) in 1 hr 19 mins and 43 secs....

Had the best time ever and ground crew were out standing

Oh and for those wondering? No ramp checks.

image.jpg.f14026d551472833ae4a4ef29bdb99de.jpg

image.jpg.d739e8e190a645f67eed0d250aa39dc3.jpg

image.jpg.b8fa8c6173df62ac9fe913ec35dff838.jpg

image.jpg.8a437fdf576eca9f9b067ccdf5af7378.jpg

image.jpg.73ef326c778bdae47da4f856785770ab.jpg

image.jpg.90d7130fbba2432c9b423c46f266b422.jpg

• Like 6
  • Winner 12

Outstanding Jack - er - Tim! wish i could have been there to see that. anyone get video?

I'm wondering the same because I'm told plenty cheers and clapping and commentry mentioned how nice my landing was :). I will ask around for vid

• Winner 1

Hi Tim,

Really enjoyed your display... yes was a very nice landing with plenty of room to spare. Didn't get video though

Sorry I didn't catch up with you on the day.. one minute you were nearby next minute you'd vanished lol

I departed straight after you, nice touch with the smoke on

The Nieuport looks great air to air too.

• Winner 1

Hi Tim,Really enjoyed your display... yes was a very nice landing with plenty of room to spare. Didn't get video though

Sorry I didn't catch up with you on the day.. one minute you were nearby next minute you'd vanished lol

I departed straight after you, nice touch with the smoke on

The Nieuport looks great air to air too.

Thanks a bunch,, yeh running between my book store and nieuport lol. And I'm pretty much go go go :)

Guest ozzie
YoYou can actually see how much left rudder is needed to counter the torque roll

I think they now call it "P factor" Tim

I was at the air-show and so were a good many spectators, a great turn out. The weather was kind to us. I watched your plane, especially the landings and one could see there was some work involved. Bit disappointed you didn't shoot up something with the gun!

• Like 1

Looking through some Facebook photos of the airshow.. I noted an uncanny resemblance

[GALLERY=media, 3447]DIstant Cousins? by aj_richo posted Apr 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM[/GALLERY]

• Haha 6
  • Winner 1