Missing plane from Gympie yesterday

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Courier Mail has a picture of a 24-Jabiru

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/still-no-sign-of-light-plane-that-left-gympie-on-saturday-morning/story-fnn8dlfs-1227310272005

Dixalea is the Dululu Gliding Club Lat Lon: 23.950812S 150.2701061E

I know Keith Page's Lightwing is based there and Myles Breitkreutz had/has a flying school there.

Hoping all ends well.

• Informative 1

The Donier PPQ is presently circling Biggenden Qld. You can see it on http://www.flightradar24.com/PPQ/60a1653 It co-ordinates the search aircraft below.

Hoping it is not a Jab engine failure. The Courier Mail photo could be what a journalist considers to be a "light aircraft", however the media release does not specify the make or if RAA or GA.

I can't find the flight tracking that used to be on the Rec Fly site. Lost in the menus?

• Like 1

I reckon the photo of the Jab is just a representation of a light aircraft. Not the aircraft that is missing.

Apparently it is a Light blue coloured Jab with a red stripe. I put the feelers out and I was told this and of course this is not confirmed.

Yets hope for a good out come.

Apparently it is a Light blue coloured Jab with a red stripe. I put the feelers out and I was told this and of course this is not confirmed.Yets hope for a good out come.

I now have a bit more information and this is like above NOT confirmed. It may be a tail wheel aircraft similar to a Skyfox. Lets hope the pilot is found safe. He could have put down somewhere in the bush and needs rescuing.

Surely it wouldn't be that hard for the powers that be to give out an accurate make to start with?

Agree Sam . I was just about to post that the vast majority of Jabs are white ,which is a factory recommendation . I can only ever recall seeing one other than white, and that was in Bundaberg many years ago ..... Bob

Guys please give it a bit of a miss at the moment as a lot of people up here are hanging on tender hooks at the moment waiting for some news a this has been going on since yesterday morning. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Sorry Rick, I have posted the article below as it names both the pilot and plane, which will remove some of the speculation. Unfortunately they also mention Jab engine problems. I was out on the farm, but didn't really pay much attention to the aircraft in the distance.

The pilot has been named here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/still-no-sign-of-light-plane-that-left-gympie-on-saturday-morning/story-fnn8dlfs-1227310272005

Hoping for a speedy resolution.

Sue

• Informative 3

OMG, Rob is a friend of mine. I hope for his and his family's sake that he's found, if not safe and well, at least alive and survivable. If it is the airplane I think it is, it was a Gazelle with Savannah wings and a Jab engine. He brought it on our Keppel trip.

I do hope he's found twiddling his thumbs in a paddock somewhere waiting for someone with a mobile phone....

• Agree 2

[Waitin for news in these circumstances can be agonising for so many, even those that don't really know him but share the same passion. We can only hope and pray for a good outcome for Rob and all those who care so much for his welfare.

• Agree 3

Guest Maj Millard
OMG, Rob is a friend of mine. I hope for his and his family's sake that he's found, if not safe and well, at least alive and survivable. If it is the airplane I think it is, it was a Gazelle with Savannah wings and a Jab engine. He brought it on our Keppel trip.I do hope he's found twiddling his thumbs in a paddock somewhere waiting for someone with a mobile phone....

No not the Bush boar Scott, Rob was in the 8 cyl Jab the J258....this was the aircraft built before the Hybrid Bushboar.

As I was looking through the replay of Flightraday24.com I found there was another aircraft VH-JEA from Toowoomba doing a search pattern on a west of where VH-PPQ was searching.

VH-JEA http://www.flightradar24.com/2015-04-19/00:18/12x/JEA/609f0fe

VH-PPQ http://www.flightradar24.com/2015-04-19/03:13/12x/PPQ/60a1653

I hope this has a happy ending for all.

Courier mail this morning carrying an article on this.

Photo of pilot next to a jabiru ?230/430 although it's labelled as a J258 ( including a decal on the fuselage stating same. ( I don't know what 258 means as it's not an official Jabiru designation as far as I know. ) article says it was a kit build so maybe builder made mods and called it a 258.

Aircraft is white (as per jab rules) with a little bit of blue and red side design.

So from beginning to now it looks like the only facts shown to be correct were it's missing and has a jab engine.

Rob built the J258 from a jabiru j 250 kit ( the ones they exported to usa , they have the 250 wing which has a 4 ft cord .)

He wanted to fit an 8 cyl jab engine ,so considerable mods and redesign had to be done .

Strengthening the firewall and other mods were done and the plane has been flying for a few years , although i dont know how well .

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Robs machine was a custom Jab with an 8 cylinder up front and the large export only (US- J250 ?) wing. Rob has manufactured several Jabs in the past and had good links with the factory. he called it the J258.

Of late he has done a lot of flying in his latest home built the Bushboar including a trip recently to the Easter Fly-in at starke field near Townsville. Both aircraft were hangared together at Gympie.