Missing plane from Gympie yesterday

Only knew Rob when we were camping neighbors at Natfly Temora, I think 2012. Certainly a knowledgeable, passionate builder, designer and flyer. If I remember correctly he told me he had quite a bit to do with building Foxcon Terriers for New Zealand. He is a big loss to our movement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very sad day for all his family, friends and fellow aviators. Please good people cease drawing conclusions as to the cause of Rob's demise, let the experts who will soon have all the information available to them, draw an informed conclusion. It saddens me that whenever a Jab is involved in an accident it is immediately assumed that the motor is at fault. This accident was a catastrophic event, probably mid air. There was no radio transmission or beacon activation which indicates a without warning, sudden event occurred. This is the second time in 12 moths that our club has lost a much loved by all member and it is a lot of hurt for a lot of people at this time so lets just continue to pay our condolences to his family without any assumptions at this time about the cause of the incident.

"Please good people cease drawing conclusions....." and then you proceed to draw conclusions. Oh my.

• Agree 6

"Please good people cease drawing conclusions....." and then you proceed to draw conclusions. Oh my.

Excuse me! Drawn a conclusion, I was making an observation from actual facts within my own personal knowledge so a point could be made. No trolling is permitted on this site.

Guest Maj Millard

The RAA and ops team have been very good recently at conducting very through in- depth accident investigations. My hat is off in particular to Tech manager Darren Barnfield who has been most impressive in finding difficult and often hidden causes of recent accidents. His finding of the control system fault in the 19 rego Seirra after it was raised from the ocean bottom, was a fine example.

After the recent mid-air west of Townsville he and Jill bailey were on-site within 24 hrs, with the full support of the RAA organization, local police and the Coroner.

As with all fatal accidents it is in the control of the Coroner, and it is he/she who calls the shots on whether info is shared ..or not. It is simply not RAAs' call. Lately however, after much prodding by the RAA and other like organisations, there has been much better co- operation with authorities, and we are getting more information of a safety critical nature much quicker now than we ever had in the past. The Seirra control problem which resulted in an mandatory service bulletin within a week is a good example of that improvement.

Do we even know if he is deceased or is this speculation?

I think this is covered a few posts back, check it out.

I have been concerned for some time with the use of portable ELBs . I don't know what he carried, but some time and significant resources could have been saved with a properly installed impact triggered ELT, never mind potentially a life.

• Agree 5

I think this is covered a few posts back, check it out.I have been concerned for some time with the use of portable ELBs . I don't know what he carried, but some time and significant resources could have been saved with a properly installed impact triggered ELT, never mind potentially a life.

The ELT argument was settled, (on the basis of quality research) twenty years ago. That's why we use portables.

The wreckage was found on Monday afternoon, the body is still missing, but it is assumed he could not have survived the crash. My sincere apologies to the family & friends who are waiting and hoping against hope that he somehow survived. In due course we will have closure, one way or the other.

• Informative 2

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.25847a559eac4f7b8641d121e5887308.jpg

Rob just loved to fly...pure and simple, and he was damn good at it. If you went to the trouble to attend a fly-in in Queensland, pretty fair chance Rob Purvan would be there also. Even Natfly the few times I went, there was Rob in the J258. Monto , Old Station ( always) , Thangool with the new impressive 'Bushboar' ...a modified Skyfox fuselage, Savanah VG wings and a custom Highlander tail with a six cyl Jab up front, because he wanted to do a bit of off field and beach work, and the J258 wasn't suitable. Want to do a bit of work on the glass- equipped dash ?...you undid two fasteners ( count them...two !) and the whole dash slid rearwards a foot on kichen drawer rails to expose everything...pure brilliance!..As always the supurb workmanship that was his and his fathers ( they often built together) trademark.

I first flew with Rob up at a fly-in at Innisfail NQ in a Subaru powered Terrier when he was building them for Helmet. He then went onto building Jabs for customers which led to the 8 powered J258.

At Monto I came back to my Lightwing to find Jabiru brochures displayed in the windows.......Robs humor at its best !...I retaliated by placing some Air Whitsunday stickers on the J258, but it took him a while to find them !.. Rob was always a friendly guy, especially to his fellow aviators.

I've used the following a few times in the past when we've lost other true adventurers, and even though its by one of my favourite heroes Charles Lindbergh it does seem a bit chintzy....however somehow I feel it's appropriate with the sad loss of our mate Rob.

"To die in the pursuit of adventure, is a worthy death indeed "....................Charles Lindbergh.

RIP old mate. We won't be forgetting you or your family anytime soon.

image.jpg.8d733b96e01d74c4c89bea6cd98149ab.jpg

Active, involved people are effective and the most missed because they leave bigger gaps when they go. The movement is very much the poorer for their passing.

Hope we find the reason for this untimely death to help us into a safer future. Nev

• Agree 6

Guest Andys@coffs

RAAus does investigate crashes, when invited to, by the state police and the coroner, and has trained staff and or members that attend. There are formal reports written and provided to the coroner. If there are immediate airworthiness issues then the Tech manager will issue appropriate Directives that in general have had any identifying issues with the specific crash removed because we are not generally authorised to talk publically about an ongoing investigation, where ongoing is a state that remains until the coroner brings down their final report. We are at the crash site at the invitation of those who are tasked with coronial investigations for SME purposes only and it is they, not RAAus who will, in time, provide the appropriate advice through there own mechanisms for publishing same.

RAAus also has, where we feel it appropriate, legal representation at the formal coronial inquests to look after our member interests as you would expect.

These processes have been in place for a relatively short time (as compared to RAAus and its predecessor names lifetime) but are already working well at lifting our credibility with the state based statutory bodies and ensuring that what we produce is a quality product. We also have a deal with ATSB regarding training which means we get access to quality training for costs involving T&A only, thanks to the relationship building of our current CEO and president.

So, because people don't see anything from RAAus that says X was killed because of A, B and C they assume we don't care and aren't involved. That is most assuredly not the case.

Regards

Andy