Not caught on tape very often.......

Downunder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing the airplane engines did not get destroyed during the props impact and the pilot did not stall out on the forced takeoff with the high angle of attack and damaged props. I heard later the pilot flew back from his home filed on one piece. - Dale Hoppas

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Multi+Engine+Piston/1970/Aerostar/601/2076612.html

"NEEDS PROPS"......lol

LiveLeak-dot-com-ef9_1429660539-N7502S_1429660570.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bdd59f4a45ddd13e78&ec_rate=230

This is CRAZY!! I would love to know what he was thinking or who had said him to him to go around after a gear up..

He was probably thinking "oh dear look at all those people that saw that.............. I gotta get outa here.............oh blast was that a video camera?!!!!!"

• Haha 2

This is CRAZY!! I would love to know what he was thinking or who had said him to him to go around after a gear up..

Have you ever been in a situation like that? Even the most experienced people do the strangest things when suddenly faced with a scary situation. The most familiar to us all is jamming on the breaks in your car when steering out of the situation would have been a better option.

Forgot to put the gear down?? No my time to do that hasn't come yet.

There is a large difference between driving and flying , that is traning. You are tought repetitive phase one actions to remove the "oh $h17" factor. Unfortunately the guy in question chose the wrong action. Flew when he should have fought.

An approach with Gear NOT DOWN in a smallish plane will be a lot different than normal. As soon as you retard the throttle the horn will go off. He had full flap so perhaps that would initiate the horn too. What is his reaction time? . It will need more than 2 props.( 2 engine strips as well.) The "those who have and those who will" doesn't do it for me either Ben.. There are some types of pilots that any calamity you can imagine is just a matter of time..Nev

Nev I couldn't agree more. I had an ICUS pilot not "let" me put down the gear. I reckon it's about a dozen holes in "the Swis cheese model" that need to line up before your day comes. In saying that there is an amount of guys in our company alone which have done it.

There's normally plenty of "air" noise when they are down. Over the fence "Greens and clearance" minimum required. You aren't worth the money if you can't put that much effort in. Nev

• Like 1

No downwind checklist? When I learnt in the 60's, Undercarriage was taught in the downwind check even in fixed gear planes. B-U-M-F-H - Brakes, Undercarriage, Mixture, Flaps & Fuel Pump, Harness & Hatches. Although unnecessary in fixed gear, it ingrained it in your subconscious for when you moved up to retracts.

• Agree 2

There's normally plenty of "air" noise when they are down.

When you dropped the Dunlops on a Bonanza, the deceleration was like driving into a lake. I assume the Aerostar would be somewhat similar, although I never flew twins.

• Agree 1

Guest ozzie

There's a King Air jumpship in the States has a HUGE placard on the panel says GEAR DOWN. Has had several gear ups.

Aircraft i have had to jack. Nomad (twice), Senica, Beaver amphib, Markey's SNJ, C337.

No downwind checklist? When I learnt in the 60's, Undercarriage was taught in the downwind check even in fixed gear planes. B-U-M-F-H - Brakes, Undercarriage, Mixture, Flaps & Fuel Pump, Harness & Hatches. Although unnecessary in fixed gear, it ingrained it in your subconscious for when you moved up to retracts.

Not only that, I was taught to look out the side window and make sure the wheel was still there. Didn't really see the point as the right hand and nose wheel could have fallen off and you wouldn't know.