Not caught on tape very often.......

Downunder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting pissy, but... applying flaps turning crosswind??

OOPS, meant Base.

TP, not at all mate, just don't forget to lower your gear or expectations from us more basic guys.

As a follow on, anyone know how many RAA aircraft have landed with their wheels up?

Actually I was taught to only lower my flaps either on late downwind or on base (or finals if so needed) NOT in the turn (can't remember the exact particulars but was told of asymmetric problems and can't remember if it was caused in some models by lowering flaps in the turn or if lowering them while in straight flight gave you a better idea if they were asymmetric, meaning you could feel it a lot better than while turning)

• Agree 1

Actually I was taught to only lower my flaps either on late downwind or on base (or finals if so needed) NOT in the turn (can't remember the exact particulars but was told of asymmetric problems and can't remember if it was caused in some models by lowering flaps in the turn or if lowering them while in straight flight gave you a better idea if they were asymmetric, meaning you could feel it a lot better than while turning)

There are some aircraft (not that there is anything wrong with that), very close to home (RA), which will be above flap extension speed until settled on Base.

In GA on City circuits it's not unusual to have one stage of flap out and the nose in the air and throttle down for quite some time on base to space the aircraft in order to get a landing prize.

Have you got flaperons? I think there are potential issues with deploying flaperons in a turn but for the life of me I can't remember. Maybe a wing stalling?

I should know because I have them.

I think Nev gave a spiel about them.

Nev?

If you remember correctly, when turning an aircraft;

•The ailerons only roll the aircraft for the turn,

•The rudder helps overcome the adverse yaw of the ailerons,

•The aircraft only really starts to turn when you apply pitch (elevator) while in the bank, thereby adding angle of attack to the wings.

If you apply flaps (normal or even more-so flaperons) while turning you are adding more angle of attack, and thus likely to be overpitching the wing.

If you have flaperons and pull flaps while turning, you will possibly lose speed while at the same time notice the nose tending to go down (flap pitching), and instinctively pull the stick back to compensate, losing more speed, and adding more angle of attack.

It's about this time you will want to roll out of the turn so you apply opposite aileron and, if you're lazy, not use enough rudder to balance the rollout, leading to stalling the inboard flaperon thence wing.

Aircraft rolls onto it's back into the turn, end of story, plane and you.

• Informative 1

Newer students would do the flaps prior to (or after) turning. Sometimes there is a pitch trim change with flap extension and sometimes a fairly large increase in drag requiring nose down or power increase to hold desired speed.. Turning at the same time adds another element to the equation. Once you do a lot of flying in a particular plane you can cope better and do it all in the turn, if you are happy about it. In some aircraft it makes it all smoother to do it in the turn.. Ailerons are used when rolling in and out of turns mainly, but you have to hold a bit on in a low power descending turn if I recall correctly. . Just do what is required and use your rudder actively to overcome aileron effects as the particular plane requires.. Rolling into and out of turns is a good exercise to get the feel of your plane and help your confidence near the ground if you encounter gusts etc. to ensure you don't hit with the wheels going sideways at touchdown. Nev