How to judge cloud separation height

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OKTA OCTA Whats the difference? There is one, you know.

I think the biggest difference is that one is spelt with a 'c' and the other is spelt with a 'k'. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

The M/KM thing is a joke.. Ive got no idea what a metre is in aviation terms and turn it into NM so i can get a time based guess, can see a min in front? Then I know ive got about 5k visibility. The states is weird also, using statute for visibility.

Yes it's a CASA screw up and they need their arxxes kicked into next September for the stupidity.

Just get your calculator out, and convert km to nm, and if you like minutes at cruise, and you'll be able to get your visualization set.

You only have to do it once.

• Like 1

think of it this way, below 3000 ft, there is less likely to be a IFR aircraft in the cloud, so the seperation from cloud limits are pretty lax, above 3000ft there might be an IFR aircraft, so stay far enough away from the clouds to make sure you have time to see and avoid an IFR aircraft if it came out of one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Guest SrPilot
Ironically I deal with Americans involved in vehicle design and building, and,. . . someone from US Engineering said "What's all this imperial crap, we've been metric for years; all the tooling is metric, the wheelbase holes are metric, and we switched years ago"

I have come across U.S. products with metric hardware. We too are somewhat a global economy. No idea of the amount of usage, but obviously some metric hardware and parts here too. When I was in the USAF I was told the F-105 Thunderchief had metric hardware and that F105 maintenance personnel had metric tools while everyone else had "normal" tools. I never verified it but the word was it was an effort to build an aircraft for use throughout NATO. Of course the F86, F100, F4, F5, F15, F16, etc have been exported to many countries. I'm not sure about their nuts and bolts. My CJ6A is metric; my BMW was metric, but my Fords are not. Ergo, in my hangar I have two roll-around tool chests - one each - metric and conventional tools. We do not call them "imperial." 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif The F105 (metric or not):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROIunKr5KiLGRUXzTjCDw6u7h2ht2P4wvT8MIUL0VmegJJ12LU

Western countries use feet for altitude. Russia and Indonesia and perhaps others use meters (metres) Airspeed is in KNOTS( Nautical miles per hour. as is windspeed). Vertical separation suits using feet Usually 1,000 but sometimes 2,ooo. feet. This measure in meters is clumsy.

Fuel is in (volumetric) Imperial Gallons, US gallons, Litres, translated to weight for load computations by applying appropriate density.

Pilots carry diaries with conversion rates. Nev

Western countries use feet for altitude. Russia and Indonesia and perhaps others use meters (metres) Airspeed is in KNOTS( Nautical miles per hour. as is windspeed). Vertical separation suits using feet Usually 1,000 but sometimes 2,ooo. feet. This measure in meters is clumsy.Fuel is in (volumetric) Imperial Gallons, US gallons, Litres, translated to weight for load computations by applying appropriate density.

Pilots carry diaries with conversion rates. Nev

Human errors in translating all those different measures cost us plenty, and caused the Gimli Glider incident and the botched Hubble Telescope mirror.

OK it's setting yourself up for an error. Pilots are always pressured for an on time push back. If you are more than two minutes late, it's a report Someone has to wear it.. In the Gimli case the flight manual was not completed properly, The aircraft was newly introduced.. Nev

• Informative 1