Meet Our Local RV's

poteroo

• 2 years later...

IMG_3042.JPG.7ef4a8788fc48111cc5a7ed9f6947ebc.JPG

And another Vans nose wheel 8A from as far east as you can get.

On my way to Albany soon for my cross country 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Look forward to meeting some of the Vans Air Force...080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif in the far west

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

[ATTACH=full]51423[/ATTACH]And another Vans nose wheel 8A from as far east as you can get.

On my way to Albany soon for my cross country 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Look forward to meeting some of the Vans Air Force...080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif in the far west

Hi Bernie when will you be in the West ? Cheers

My plane came from the West :) I brought it back from Jandakot some years back. But we are fractionally further East than Bernie. Also thinking about trip to the West. Had hoped to go this August but still not quite ready so not sure if later this year now, or next year.

Any RV owners visiting the wild west can contact me via a PM on this site. We have about 15 RVs located here or nearby and we have a fairly active formation group. If you have a formation endo: you are welcome to join in with us. It helps if you have had your logbook 'endorsed' with the highest number of aircraft that you have flown with. If not, then I can fly with you in one of our larger groups and signoff once you are safe. On the other hand, if you would like to stay a couple days here, I can do your complete formation endo to solo standard.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

That's great. Thanks poteroo. I'm formation endorsed but not current. Never occurred to me to put the number of aircraft in the formation in my logbook .. but I probably should have.

Important info. Best written in by an instructor. Helps no end when you roll up in a new location and announce you're 'good-to-go' at #4 in a diamond-9 !!

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Looks good, pity about the trainer wheel being at the wrong end, but I an biased.

Depends on your point of view. I'd rather have safety, practicality and lower insurance premiums instead of the tailwheels sex-appeal. Then again, I am an ugly bugger, so perhaps sex-appeal isn't the right word...006_laugh.gif.5ff3b64e6def986f3bae8daefefe7180.gif

I wouldn't say a tailwheel's main attraction is sex appeal. It's a practical approach to rough strip operation and arguably for a U/L plane better at handling rough weather (gusts). especially if it's high wing as well.. Nev

• Like 1

arguably for a U/L plane better at handling rough weather (gusts). especially if it's high wing as well.. Nev

definitely arguable Nev. A t/w type always has a higher angle of attack on the mainplane when on ground, and in my experience, it is much more subject to being lifted by wind gusts. When tieing the t/w down, it's preferable to point them tail-into-wind if possible to prevent the wind lifting them up and off chocks or pulling tiedowns out. Then, of course, the wind changes o/n! And, you need strong external control locks on every surface.

The oft quoted reason for t/w configuration is that there is better prop tip clearance from ground, but that is also arguable. Unless the pilot adopts a flapped and tail low takeoff attitude, it's possible to compromise prop tip clearance by holding the aircraft in a tail high/level attitude to assist acceleration.

We all predicted the demise,(due n/w collapse), of C206 types in PNG when they began to replace our much beloved,(often hated), old C180 and c185 types. It didn't happen, because with careful loading, and at least 20 deg flaps for t/o, the extra power in the 206 allowed the nose to be raised early on t/o and so prop clearance wasn't near the problem expected. The 3 blade props also improved clearance by 5-10cms.

With RV's, the same applies. In my RV9A, with at least 15-20 deg flap, loading to position CG slightly aft, and a rolling start on rough or soft strips - the nose is easily lifted off within a few metres and if it's held nose high, the aircraft will plow through slush, over rocks and your prop and nosewheel are safe. I've not bothered to fit any of the expensive nosewheel strengthening options because I believe that safety is mostly in the handling techniques used. The -9 goes anywhere that I used to take my -6.

happy days,

Nosewheels are a weak point on most planes but especially U/L's. Unless the plane sits static with tail high you can't pin it on the ground at all and most makers won't do it for style and strength reasons. +prop clearance considerations. which can be a problem also for tailwheel as you point out. You can also have a problem pinning it down in a strong crosswind without the prop becoming a lawnmower on take off. Nev

• 1 year later...

Adding to the list for south coast western Australia ive just purchased an rv7 quick build kit second hand out of NSW. Should be coming over in a couple of weeks. It'll be a tail dragger with an 0320 in it. I want to put a dynon skyview in with auto pilot. Silver and black paint job. May have a go at airbrushing some flames on the cowl. Slider canopy. Would like a constant speed but will probably go for a catto fixed pitch for simplicity and weight.

Lots of conversations to be had.

A friend of mine will be doing the lions share of the build, he has made several before. Reckons he might be able too do it in 12 months as long as the year doesn't turn into a full blown drought as far as finances go. Will be based on a farm NW of Esperance.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...