Gazelle tacho

The tacho in my Gazelle has stopped working, it flickered at low revs for a while but now doesn't work at all, it's a VDO electric tacho with the rotax markings, checked the wiring and had the tacho tested and all is fine, is there a sensor that triggers the tacho, not sure where to look next thanks Keith

The tacho in my Gazelle has stopped working, it flickered at low revs for a while but now doesn't work at all, it's a VDO electric tacho with the rotax markings, checked the wiring and had the tacho tested and all is fine, is there a sensor that triggers the tacho, not sure where to look next thanks Keith

If you have a 912 the following may help.

The tacho pickup on the 912 engine is an electromagnegtic coil. A magnet on the flywheel induces a pulse in the coil when it passes by.

This was from a discussion at http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/odd-problem-with-aviasport-tacho-on-912uls.64509/

Look at this also http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2474

It appears the tacho pickup wires are blue and white. Try and trace them back and check any connectors.

Cheers.

I can't help you Keith, but I have the same problem, so I'm interested in any responses you get.

My electric VDO/Hobbs has got dementia. After about 60 hours the needle would sometimes show no revs for a whole trip, but the hours would register. Then the needle somehow repaired itself, but the bloody Hobbs went crazy, endlessly cycling thru different displays. I kept a separate record of engine hours, and recently the display fleetingly showed the correct numbers; just as the damned needle died again! Alzheimer's is like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after trying everything else have found the tacho to have a fault in the circuit board somewhere trying to repair it if not will have to be a new tacho, 3/18 rotax tacho se ems pretty scarce

• Informative 1