Skyfox carb heat needs replacing

One of our members has a 55-reg Skyfox with a 912. He is not happy with its carby heat setup and wants to replace it with something better. He likes the idea of a collar around the carb running hot water from the heads.

1. Is he allowed to modify a 55- reg?

2. If so, can anyone suggest a more reliable/efficient carb heat system?

I have installed a couple of electric carb heat systems on 912's. The heater strips just screw on the side of the carb body right at the butterfly. You could leave the old system on for legal reasons and add the elect system no problem.

a picture of the kit507333453_eleccarbheat.JPG.dc90799d51d1582118279b1eec27e7a4.JPG

I think the water carb heats are a bit too complicated, this electric one is easy to install, the hardest part was tapping out the holes for the screws.

just one option

Cheers

Rick

• Informative 1

I have installed a couple of electric carb heat systems on 912's. The heater strips just screw on the side of the carb body right at the butterfly. You could leave the old system on for legal reasons and add the elect system no problem.a picture of the kit[ATTACH]35488[/ATTACH]

I think the water carb heats are a bit too complicated, this electric one is easy to install, the hardest part was tapping out the holes for the screws.

just one option

Cheers

Rick

HI Rick

I'm getting one of those electric units for rotax engines shipped over for my Nynja build. I heard that they take about 10 sec to get up effective heat; have you got any experience re the come up to effective heat timeing?

I agree with your comments above.

Cheers

Mike

HI RickI'm getting one of those electric units for rotax engines shipped over for my Nynja build. I heard that they take about 10 sec to get up effective heat; have you got any experience re the come up to effective heat timeing?

I agree with your comments above.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I reckon they take a bit longer than 10 sec. I only really switched it on briefly to test it, feeling the heater with my fingers it took about that time before you could feel it warming then about maybe 30-40 sec it was quite warm. I didn't leave them there long enough to get burned.

I think you would need to turn them on before you were going into icing conditions and not wait till the motor is coughing. I also installed a very small temp sensor into the carb body so as to monitor its temp so you have some idea when the carb body is near freezing.

Cheers

Rick

• Informative 1