Coanda effect - nice demonstration of it

The subject of the possibilities for using Coanda effect in various ways to improve lift and/or achieve flight in less conventional ways than simple fixed or rotary wing craft, comes up regularly on aircraft design forums.

I came across this nice practical demonstration of the effect -

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Well that puts s stick in the Bernoulli/Newton argument!

http://www.newfluidtechnology.com.au/wp-content/uploads/THE_COANDA_EFFECT_AND_LIFT.pdf

If I remember correctly, the British tried applying the Coanda effect in a 1950's design. I'm sure we mentioned this yonks ago in one of the original Bernoulli -v- Newton threads.

OME

Is this Bernoulli?

Nice example Happy, but I don't think Bernoulli had a hand in that one. It's another example of Coanda effect but also combined with Magnus effect. The Magnus effect is used to make the fanwing type of aircraft fly. The first full scale fanwing/spinning wing aircraft flew in the 1930s IIRC (Google/Youtube it).

There have been some quite sophisticated RC scale fanwing projects, a search on Youtube brings up some of them.

Here is a video showing how a successful model Magnus effect fanwing was built -

• Informative 1

Most interesting HIC.

It's a shame it's not so easy to replicate full size. Giveaway was the power/weight ratio - 650g thrust, 520g weight. So prolly more efficient just as a common-or-garden quadcopter - like this:

Bruce