The Echuca Program

Admin

At this stage I am working towards the following program for the Great Southern Echuca Flyin - not all confirmed as yet but getting their - any comments on activities etc is greatly appreciated so I can make sure this flying will be a fantastic fun get together and relaxing time for all:

Friday afternoon - early arrivals

Friday dinner is a barbecue - donation

Friday evening - the lull before the storm

Sat morning - arrivals and walk around trade stands - general get together

Sat lunch - barbecue

Sat afternoon:

- poker run competition - fly to various spots and pick up a poker card to get a poker hand - best hand wins

- Spot landing and blind circuit comps

- Aerobatic flying display

Sat dinner:

5:30 - drinks

6:00 - CASA presentation on human factors/situational awareness

6:45 - Bush Poet Comedienne

7:00 - Dinner

8:00 - RAAus talk/presentation and then Bush Poet Comedienne

00 - Desert/coffee etc

30 - Guest Speaker and Bush Poet Comedienne

x:xx to ??? drinks/chats etc

Sunday morning

- Large scaled Radio Controlled aircraft demonstration

- Warbird flying display

Sunday afternoon

- Murray River paddle steamer cruise

Sunday dinner - barbecue

Sunday evening - general hang out having a drink etc

Hi Ian - you mention there's a "warbird" flying display on the Sunday morning. What aircraft do you have involved...as a fellow warbird flyer I'd be keen to catch up with them before the event and maybe see if we can get involved.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt, this is the program that I am trying to pull together and at this stage I have a Yak and trying to source more - hopefully in the next couple of days I should have more - will keep you informed!

Matt, might have a Stearman Biplane attend doing a flying demonstration in formation with some other aircraft

History: Even though the US Army Air Corps needed a new biplane trainer in the mid-1930’s, it moved slowly to acquire one because of the service-wide lack of funding for new airplane purchases. In 1936, following the Navy’s lead the previous year, the Army tentatively bought 26 airframes from Boeing (the Model 75), which the Army named the PT-13. With war on the horizon, this trickle of acquisition soon turned into a torrent; 3519 were delivered in 1940 alone.

Built as a private venture by the Stearman Aircraft Company of Wichita (bought by Boeing in 1934), this two-seat biplane was of mixed construction. The wings were of wood with fabric covering while the fuselage had a tough, welded steel framework, also fabric covered. Either a Lycoming R-680 (PT-13) or Continental R-670 (PT-17) engine powered most models, at a top speed of 124 mph with a 505-mile range. An engine shortage in 1940-41 led to the installation of 225-hp Jacobs R-755 engines on some 150 airframes, and the new designation PT-18.

The US Navy's early aircraft, designated NS-1, eventually evolved into the N2S series, and the Royal Canadian Air Force called their Lend-Lease aircraft PT-27s. (The Canadians were also responsible for the moniker "Kaydet," a name eventually adopted by air forces around the globe).

The plane was easy to fly, and relatively forgiving of new pilots. It gained a reputation as a rugged airplane and a good teacher. Officially named the Boeing Model 75, the plane was (and still is) persistently known as the "Stearman" by many who flew them. It was called the "PT" by the Army, "N2S" by the Navy and "Kaydet" by Canadian forces. By whatever name, more than 10,000 were built by the end of 1945 and at least 1,000 are still flying today worldwide. [History by Jeff VanDerford.]

Nicknames: Yellow Peril. (Some Stearman owners claim this name resulted specifically from the Stearman's allegedly challenging ground-handling characteristics, but most WWII veterans contend that the nickname was more of a generic reference to the dangerous nature of primary flight training, an endeavor in which the Stearman obviously played a major role. Other aircraft such as the N3N also carried the Yellow Peril nickname.)

Specifications (PT-17):

Engine: One 220-horsepower Continental R-670-5 piston radial engine (PT-17)

Weight: Empty 1,936 lbs., Max Takeoff 2,717 lbs.

Wing Span: 32ft. 2in.

Length: 24ft. 3in.

Height: 9ft. 2in.

Performance:

Maximum Speed: 124 mph

Ceiling: 11,200 ft.

Range: 505 miles

Armament: None

Number Built: 10,000+

Number Still Airworthy: 1000+

What's there ?

I'm really flying blind - to book accommodation or not book it?

What facilities are already there that are available to us?

Is there a suitable area for camping?

Are we planning on supplying all support ourselves, or is the aero club offering some support facilities?

If I don't take camping gear I can take a passenger.

I plan to stop at the Holbrook rag and tube weekend on the way there and back.

I've looked up my tattered 2004 AOPA and googled Echuca, but it doesn't tell me much about the potential arrangements at the airfield.

Has anyone inspected the locale for our point of view?

Jack. :;)2::;)2::;)5:

Hi Jack

There are great facilities there. Camping under the wing, club rooms, 5 toilets, I am booking a proper 4 shower block trailer (a good one). The club will be putting on the breakfasts and we will be running the barbies. Avgas available at the airfield.

BigPete should be able to comment and I believe he will be leading the club's working party liaising with me in the planning of it all which is going along really well.

The Echuca Aero Club have very recently staged an airshow and combined flyin for the Antique Aircraft Association of Australia. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

We know how to look after our "guests" ;)

I've included a few recent photos of the airport. :big_grin:

No 1 is the airport looking from the East. Grass strip is 23/05 (looking down 23) and sealed runway 17/35 (17 is grass strip end)

No 2 is inside clubrooms.

No 3 is out front of clubrooms looking down to passenger terminal.

No 4 is grassed area in front of clubhouse (we call this Jabiru territory :big_grin::big_grin:)

No 5 is terminal passenger lounge.

regards

Airport1small.JPG.ee71405a42f2e543756a4a4183962cae.JPG

Clubroom1small.JPG.925ef0a9b0bfacb4dd7962af7d640869.JPG

473310897_ClubroomandTerminalsmall.JPG.e07b3c5b6aa7d2046e7adf64a4f22bb9.JPG

2075742247_Grassfrontsmall.JPG.64cb870a9aacc6f56670ae0218ed172d.JPG

1119994744_TerminalBldsmall.JPG.94e6f45f4fe1a4c74beb73045c99e2f0.JPG

Sundays usually has the magnificent sight and sound of two Yak 52's and a Winjeel practicing formation work over the area.

I've been at the Port are when they have done their stuff, and the appreciative comments from visitors is amazing...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif let alone the sound of three bloody fantastic radials..:big_grin:

Echuca has hosted a large number of Aviation events over the past few years, and really is well set up to cater for the fly-in. Not only that, its a friendly club as well.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MATT

Recognised the CT4 and name put 2 and 2 together to get Matt ex Pt Cook, yes?

Hope to see you at Echuca Sat/Sun morning.

HAVE NOT GOT A PLANE YET BUT WORKING ON IT

Yep, the same ex Pt Cook Matt. We'll actually be at Point Cook for the week before the Echuca flyin. We're heading to Edinburgh this Friday for the airshow and will be there till Monday, then heading to Point Cook on the Monday and be there till either Friday or Saturday morning then up to Echuca for the flyin then back to Canberra. Should be a great trip...expect a lot of trip reports...or one bloody long one when we get back! :)