Bushbaby Explorer Mk2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

hi, I haven't posted for awhile so here's an update. First pic, applying glue to the lower edge of the tanks ( hope I have enough on there ) Second pics, tanks are fitted and only a couple of leading edge cuffs to go then sanding ready for the fabric. The fuselage is near ready for fabric too. Plan to get into the covering after Easter.

Steve

image3.JPG.f409fb07dd60b6ee39bb3acc56bbba3d.JPG

image1.JPG.33842a49163f56607be74038b14d8426.JPG

image2.JPG.0ab7e973b36771466ed80d14f95ee9bf.JPG

• Like 1

I was actually thinking of placing a thin sheet of polly styrene on top of the tanks below the fabric. My thinking is it should distract some of the suns heat from heating and evaporating the fuel.

Has anyone had any experience with this? was wondering if it would be worth it.

Its up to you but in 25 years its never been a problem in the African sun. In my opinion the sheet will make no big difference, in fact it will make the area on top of the tank look awkward as the wing will not look uniform. The fabric makes these waves between the ribs and what we do is stick a double capstrip on top of the tank to give the illusion of a rib being there and then you do not see the tank. Up to you. Also fist check what the reaction of the styrene with the dopes and thinners will be. I suspect it will eat up the styrene.

• Like 1

No worries Stefan will do thanks mate. As you can probably see in the last picture I have left gaps under the capstrips so stitches can pass through. I have done this

top and bottom, will post a couple of closer pics tomorrow. I can start to see the some progress now 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Here's the pictures of the gaps that I have left under the capstrips, top and bottom. Its the best way I could come up with to keep the fabric stitches all uniform.

The stitching will be spaced at 80 mm even across the fuel tanks.

I have a few days away again and when back I hope to get into the covering.

image1.JPG.3f33d7805c5af9ca0f59dee283bfc6bc.JPG

as.JPG.f9a19c60370c7b50e0a21e3a5e45f3a0.JPG

Here's the pictures of the gaps that I have left under the capstrips, top and bottom. Its the best way I could come up with to keep the fabric stitches all uniform.The stitching will be spaced at 80 mm even across the fuel tanks.

I have a few days away again and when back I hope to get into the covering.

[ATTACH]42044[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]42045[/ATTACH]

Looking good Steve. Will drop past and have another look at some stage.

Couple more pics of the stall warning, the two bolts will hold an adjusting vane plate. I copied the Jabiru, its a simple system just hope it works as well on the Explorer, the wing

profiles are similar. May just put one in the other wing too, now that will be interesting, anyone done that? 058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif

image2.JPG.7ac84611f75850e97da3815d335722c4.JPG

image1.JPG.07000e9c304e7c9d51013e9404304adc.JPG

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, The wing tips are on and the last job on the wings before covering is the pitot tubes, they are now all fitted and tested.

image.jpg.79b667437aae13a47f1ee8cb7823cc9e.jpg

image.jpg.1ee0ffba7758fd31c2c56d97c8072aea.jpg

image.jpg.c5a68c15ff6ed88dc5f7c0343e91f8e4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

hi Stefan, I have been away for a month and half, so not a lot buggarit,

The wings are ready for covering and the fuselage has a little bit more work on the baggage compartment before that's ready. I plan to do all the covering at once.

I have only just got home so pictures wont be far away

• 3 months later...

I'm still plugin away Stefan, its taking a lot longer than I expected due to my work increasing over the last few months, I'm leaving

for Rockhampton QLD now which will take about 2-3 weeks.

The Bushbaby is ready to cover so I will be getting into that soon. Took the seat to the upholsterers yesterday, hes also going to print

the logo on the backrest but cant start it till Christmas, so thats cool.

Thanks for the gear you sent me recently especially the shirts they look the part, did the guys send you a picture of me wearing them

( they took heaps 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif ). Hope your Oshkosh trip went well with your new USA dealer and hows any aussie dealers going.

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve, the trip to Oshkosh was awesome. I flew the Safari with the American distributor from Winnsboro, TX to Oshkosh. It was an experience of a lifetime. I will post some pics a bit later.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi Stefan, yes I'm still building. Due to commitments it has been quite a few months since I even looked at the Explorer let alone worked on it. Actually,

last week I dusted the dust off so to speak (its been kept well covered) and gathered my thoughts as to where I am up to. Your message has

come at a timely time. I see you have a very active Facebook site now where I noticed you are fitting Berringer Alaskan Gear to a Safari. would it

adapt to my or any Explorer. It sure looks great and probably works better than bungees, that's how I would like my plane to look. I have included

a couple of pics so you know which gear I'm referring too. 1582779610_Berringergear.jpg.de7b69f24449951730ae56343771a0d9.jpg

Mmmmm now why did it do that, I'm not gunna try to fix it.:faint:haha!

Steve

2131148912_Alaskagear.jpg.0e611b932d90359cf397c6488b376f9a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, the Alaskan gear is great and would recommend them. Only thing is that in your case you will probably have to replace your wheels and brakes as well. The ALG uses a bolt on axle. Berringer made the system for us so the Matco E-series will also fit but when you start adding all these costs together you end up at 6500 USD easily. You would also need to modify the attachment points on the airframe to accommodate the gear. I would just buy the Matco E-series, weld a flange on the landing gear and buy the LSA 22" slicks from Matco and keep the bungees.

hi Stefan, I have Grove 5016 aluminium bolt on stubs and brakes already so not a problem. I would like to fit the ALG mounts to the fuselage

(if they are available separately) before I start covering it, which shouldn't be too long. Covered the first wing today and couldn't believe how easy

it is. Will have the other wing done tomorrow then stitching and tapes. Few days and I'll post some pictures.

completed the first wing today, lacing and tapes still to go, took about 9.5 hours hopefully I should do the second wing a lot quicker.

theres nothing to covering anyone could do it, 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

image2.JPG.0f9bd062d18ffc43c7f6eceb87f18d97.JPG

image1.JPG.24eade477c7eed3e4b15ab3bf4d6afb3.JPG

completed the first wing today, lacing and tapes still to go, took about 9.5 hours hopefully I should do the second wing a lot quicker.theres nothing to covering anyone could do it, 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

[ATTACH]50147[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50148[/ATTACH]

Great to see

• Agree 1

Steve, if you have access to a good welder there are some upgrades you can do to the tail section by adding aerodynamic horns on the elevator and rudder. These are reasonably easy to do and this will convert the Mk2 into a Mk3.