Bushbaby Explorer Mk2

hi Stefan, yes I know an aircraft welder that lives close by, luckily the tail is not covered yet. I would be interested in seeing a picture

or two. Would it change the handling much? I'm guessing relieving control input pressure and maybe more authority.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stefan, yes all done just have to fit the strobe light mount and run the wires but it has come out very good.

The wings are finished except the u/v and the paint, that will wait till the warmer months.

• Agree 1

That's great news. Glad you are making progress. We have a great whatsapp group for owners, builders and pilots and if you would like to join then just send me the cell number you use for whatsapp. I know you said your ipad cannot use whatsapp but as far as I know it has changed in the last year so maybe just check. Do not leave the wings for too long without UV protection.

Great to hear Stefan,

I took the iPad to a computer store as you know and they couldn't load whatsapp, that was near 2 years ago so i'll ask my daughter to try and load it again,. Temperatures here atm are around 16 deg's and not much sun would that be ok to UV the wings. I have them covered up and was going to do them in warmer months.

Cheers Steve

• Agree 1

Hi Steve, it is not ideal but here in South Africa the temps are pretty much the same at the moment and we do work. It only takes longer to dry and you have to spray thinner coats but if you covered the wings and no UV can get to the material then rather wait until you are at temps between 22 and 25. To hot (over 30degr) is also difficult as the dopes and paint dry as it leaves the spray gun and you get a rough finish.

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve, any progress? Looking forward to seeing you fly. I am sending you an article that SA Flyer mag did for the Nov 2017 issue. Not sure if I am allowed to post it here but will e-mail. Enjoy

Hi Stefan, I'm still working on the Bushbaby but of late i haven't had much time spare, wings are finished and ready for paint as you know. the fuselage

is near ready just final cleanup of the elevator and rudder mod. . . covering and paint to do.

I think you sent me the SA Flyer through Viber, I'll check again and let you know.

cheers Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Great to hear Stefan,

I took the iPad to a computer store as you know and they couldn't load whatsapp, that was near 2 years ago so i'll ask my daughter to try and load it again,. Temperatures here atm are around 16 deg's and not much sun would that be ok to UV the wings. I have them covered up and was going to do them in warmer months.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve - just a suggestion; when I refurbished my aircraft, using the Stewart System, the final coats of paint required (from memory) a minimum of 21 C for 48 hrs to cure.

I made a spray booth out of cheap timber and bubble wrap set up in the hanger/shed.  Booth dimensions just  large enough to accomodate largest components and be able to walk around to spray. Cheap industrial fan at one end (sucking out) and air conditioning filter at other end to provide fresh clean air.

Bubble wrap to act as an insulator, while letting light in (I supplemented ambient light with second hand fluoros) purchased from a warehouse packing supply company.

I also purchased a pre loved, stand alone (window rattler) reverse cycle air conditioner for $40.  Installed mid way low down on spray booth.

Using a digital thermometer,  set about 1/3 of the way up one wall, well away from air con, I was able to adjust the aircon to maintain well over the required minimum temperature,  for the period required, all  during NSW winter.

Worked like a charm and I was able to reuse the timbers after dismantling the spray booth (unfortunately most of the bubble wrap went in the bin).