Even the pros can bang it down hard

fly_tornado

With a tailwind you normally pick up a bit of extra airspeed near the ground as the tailwind drops off a bit. Nev

Perhaps so but doesn't it also cause slight loss of lift?

Perhaps so but doesn't it also cause slight loss of lift?

If you were landing with a tailwind and the tailwind decreased near the ground you would have a slight increase in lift with the slight gain of airspeed.

Where you loose lift would be if you had a tailwind and you had an 'increase' of tailwind near the ground.

At least I think that would be how it works:blush:

• Agree 1

do you think if could be an engine out landing? That would explain the tight turn to final and the high rate of descent...

With the sound on you can hear he has at least one engine working nice.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes it could be an engine out (or a practice) I thought the engine was used to stabilise the landing after contact, but I will have to check. It looked as though the glide and everything was stretched to the limit and the plane ran out of energy. Height, speed and stabilised approach not there. Nev

Just proves even the pro's are human and don't always get it right, nice to be a mere mortal isn't it, only difference is they can bang it up for no financial loss to them but only to the taxpayers.

With the sound on you can hear he has at least one engine working nice.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I cant listen to the sound here at work but I wonder how much noise a jet engine still spinning but not producing thrust makes. It might sound quite loud.

They might have been doing an engine out, real or a practice. Whatever it's a hairy approach. Both engines out you don't have much choice, but that's unlikely as an engine was used after touchdown. He was probably low a fair way out hence the "no final" approach with decaying airspeed in a turn just reaching the runway. Scary ..

A windmilling engine is quiet "Flight idle". It's the normal condition for a commercial jet let down and to about 800 feet. on final. on a straight in visual approach. Some want you to spool up ( a little) below 3,000 feet for safety.. Nev

I was in the back of a C130 that made a 3g bounce on landing. The pilot was quite apologetic. Our second landing was a long way down the strip.

^Airshow trick that caught a few out... Select gear up before the take-off and let the "squat switch" or "weight off wheels switch" complete the circuit and start the retract...

Then they try to impress with a short roll (T/O while in ground effect?) and as the weight comes off the wheels come up.. usually below flight speed.

I think they have abandoned this method of display nowadays..

• Agree 1

Being a bit too clever. Sometimes the undercarriage has more drag during retract than with gear down or if it sags back on the runway you can't achieve the pitch angle to get airborne again. You need a "positive climb" situation to be established before retracting. On a long runway particularly there should be no rush to get the gear up. You deny yourself the ability to land straight ahead without damage. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
You guys missed the point- he was just double tasking.Someone bet he could not shake a vodka cocktail on landing.

I bet he had a very long drink after that one.

Why not ? ? Bob Hoover used to do it whilst barrel rolling . . . . .easy bet ?