Reading MGL instruments with polarised sunnies

I am thinking about purchasing an MGL ALT-3 digital altimiter with the monochrome display and not not sure about it's readability with polarised sunglasses. Has anyone had experience with this.

Not sure about the Altimeter, but the 'G' meter I installed in my gliding club's ASK21 seems fine with polarised sunnies. The backlighting is a nice feature.

Robert

I had a MGL combination instrument in my Starlet and can't recall any issues with polarized sunnies.

An iPad though is affected - I'm using an iPad in 'portrait' mode in my Jabby and while out flying last Wednesday put my sunnies on. The iPad was blacked out; at first I thought it had turned off.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Ducks there was a discussion about polarised spex on here a few years back; the consensus seemed to be avoid them. Seeing the glare from a turning aircraft's wing is more important than comfort.

• Agree 2

Ducks there was a discussion about polarised spex on here a few years back; the consensus seemed to be avoid them. Seeing the glare from a turning aircraft's wing is more important than comfort.

That was a very interesting thread with excellent input from the optician (I think it was, sorry if I have downgraded him), well worth reading.

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone"s info, I was able to view an MGL Alt - 3 instrument (altimeter) with my polarised sunnies on the WE and was able to read the display without problem.

• 4 months later...
I had a MGL combination instrument in my Starlet and can't recall any issues with polarized sunnies.An iPad though is affected - I'm using an iPad in 'portrait' mode in my Jabby and while out flying last Wednesday put my sunnies on. The iPad was blacked out; at first I thought it had turned off.

I have the same issue with one of my polarised pairs of sunnies but not another one.. The lenses are angled 90 degrees to each other, if that makes sense!

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting to see when we visited the tamworth tower that polarised Sunnys were a must for them, maybe not so good spotting the glare off a turn but better visibility in general. I am of two minds about them, on one side I love them and appreciate the lack of glare from a bright day and on the other hand I have to put contacts in to wear them and I'm lazy and don't do that too often. I used to have prescription sunnys but found them to be a nuisance as I had to wear them inside to be able to see (carrying two pairs of glasses is not really a viable option) and wearing dark glasses indoors gets some weird looks.

• 2 months later...

I tried a pair of polarised sunnies, but they made weird patterns in the Lexan windscreen. I found that distracting to the point I took the sunnies off and flew without them. I think there are different quality polarised sunnies and some are better than others.