C150 Emergency Landing off field at Warnervale

I flew a 150 with an 0-320 in it and bigger tanks with them. There was a lot of info about fuel caps being left off and the bladder collapses with some Cessna's. The fuel indicator float rises and indicates fuel erroneously. I don't know which models. Nev

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew a 150 with an 0-320 in it and bigger tanks with them. There was a lot of info about fuel caps being left off and the bladder collapses with some Cessna's. The fuel indicator float rises and indicates fuel erroneously. I don't know which models. Nev

That would be a great short field performer Nev, especially if it still had the 40 degree flap capability.

Guest ozzie
That would be a great short field performer Nev, especially if it still had the 40 degree flap capability.

If you fly out of places like Colorado the extra HP would be a benefit.

When bladders start to suck up or wrinkle the reduced capacity is more a worry than incorrect indication by gauges. (who believes them anyway).

Full marks to aero club chief and pilot with media management too.

Both in the media inc tv saying what a sucesssful landing it was.

Doesnt give journalists anywhere to go.

• Agree 2

Releasing your seat belt when you are hanging upside down sounds a bit risky, what do you do? try to support your weight with one hand release the belt with your other and try to roll out of the opened door?

Releasing your seat belt when you are hanging upside down sounds a bit risky, what do you do? try to support your weight with one hand release the belt with your other and try to roll out of the opened door?

That's a very good question Teck. In my few years in our local rescue squad we haven't had to release someone who was upside down. Generally people who are upside down have been released by well meaning folk already on the scene and I know of at least one in our area who ended up with spinal injuries as a result of being released without anyone thinking to take the weight.

As for releasing yourself, obviously adrenaline would be pretty high so you probably wouldn't think about it until after your head connected the roof, as the desire to get out would be extreme. Maybe some harnesses could be loosened to allow you to 'climb' down but most that I have seen wouldn't be able to be loosened easily while they have weight on them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

I always mention this to my passengers when I brief them prior to flying with me in the Lightwing. I tell them being a taildragger worse case scenero would be we could end up on our back. if that occurres don't release your seatbelt until you take your weight otherwise you could break your neck when you hit the ceiling !....Most accept it well as part of the brief.

If there are two in the side by side plane and you end up side down maybe the procedure could be this, open doors, get the passenger to support them self with both hands, undo their seat belt and push them out the door. Once the passenger is free you support your self with both hands and get them to undo your seat belt and push you out the door. Might work?

When you go upside-down, the disorientation confuses you for a short while but I found I couldn't actually release my seatbelt in the J230 until I relieved the pressure by pushing with my legs. It took me about a minute to sort out up from down and which way to push, I'm very glad that there was no fire!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I found I couldn't actually release my seatbelt in the J230 until I relieved the pressure by pushing with my legs.

I am not understanding how that worked how did you prevent falling on your head?

If the high wing folds towards the u/c, would this not obstruct the door from opening?

Maybe but there are typically two doors one on either side; less likely to collapse both wings onto each side of the fuselage.

When you go upside-down, the disorientation confuses you for a short while but I found I couldn't actually release my seatbelt in the J230 until I relieved the pressure by pushing with my legs. It took me about a minute to sort out up from down and which way to push, I'm very glad that there was no fire!

I agree about the confusion, although mine was on a tractor. Nothing works the same with reverse gravity; it's amazing how much you rely on your bum against the seat back in order to push your legs, and push up with your arms when you're upright. That all goes when you're belly up and you have to think your way out.

I'm very strong on pre-programming your mind for expected emergencies so your reaction is automatic, but these upside down events all seem to be different.

• Agree 1

I found I couldn't actually release my seatbelt in the J230 until I relieved the pressure

This is something that should be checked as part of any 50 / 100 hour / annual service. Easy to do, clip the harness, pull on the harness as hard as you can with one hand and release the latch with the other hand. If it does not release you have a problem. This is not something anyone wants to find out when hanging in a harness and needing to get out in a hurry.

• Like 1