C150 Emergency Landing off field at Warnervale

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard
If the high wing folds towards the u/c, would this not obstruct the door from opening?

Have been in a crash where a broken wing did obstruct the way out....ended up going out the opposite side door....really amazing how quick you make critical decisions in those positions......

image.jpg.b0644be70cc5957396b727cb20b309d3.jpg

Have been in a crash where a broken wing did obstruct the way out....ended up going out the opposite side door....really amazing how quick you make critical decisions in those positions......[ATTACH=full]36302[/ATTACH]

Every time I look at that photo Maj I think how blessed you were. How many died in that one, I can't remember.

If there are two in the side by side plane and you end up side down maybe the procedure could be this, open doors, get the passenger to support them self with both hands, undo their seat belt and push them out the door. Once the passenger is free you support your self with both hands and get them to undo your seat belt and push you out the door. Might work?

OR disconnect their seat belt without them realising, once they have smashed themselves against the roof ( which now the floor ), use them as traction as you clamber out of the wreckage .

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard
Every time I look at that photo Maj I think how blessed you were. How many died in that one, I can't remember.

The pilot and front seat occupant died that day.....

Guest asmol

I read something somewhere about LSA aircraft an dyou have to be able to open the seatbelt with a 25 kg load pulling on the buckle. I will try and find it again on the EAA website.

Safety belts must meet 49 CFR Part 571.209

A Type 1 or Type 2 seat belt assembly shall be provided with a buckle or buckles readily accessible to the occupant to permit his easy and rapid removal from the assembly. Buckle release mechanism shall be designed to minimize the possibility of accidental release. A buckle with release mechanism in the latched position shall have only one opening in which the tongue can be inserted on the end of the buckle designed to receive and latch the tongue

In most of our aircraft you don't have far to fall but you still may injure your neck or get wedged in a corner. I suggest thinking about holding the side with the buckle, and pull on it and lower yourself by it. There's nothing else to use to hold on to that I can think of.

One person I know of was in a Tiger Moth and ended up inverted on the ground with a fair distance to fall. Nev