Comparison of OzRunways vs. AvPlan EFB on iPad

I wouldn't be surprised to find Ozrunways with that functionality soon enough. Both Avplan and Ozrunways are very competitive and neither of them lets the other get too far ahead with features and connectivity before they catch up!

• Agree 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't be surprised to find Ozrunways with that functionality soon enough. Both Avplan and Ozrunways are very competitive and neither of them lets the other get too far ahead with features and connectivity before they catch up!

I hope that is the case. I contacted both OzRunways and Dynon about this a number of weeks ago. I was told by OzRunways that they asked Dynon for WiFi code access early on, and got a lukewarm reception from them. The response from Dynon implied there was an exclusive period with the American based ForeFlight EFB that now has expired, so Dynon's present response to OzRunways for access should now be more positive. It seems AvPlan got a jump on them

I really do hope they catch up, as it is an important feature to me that may make me "jump ship" to AvPlan. How about it OzRunways.....?

Vaguely related...

Today I was in a window seat in a Dash 8 and wanted to know what part of Qld I was looking at. Even in Aeroplane mode my old iPad delivered. OzRunways took less than a minute to aquire satellites (presumably thru the Windows) and give our speed, direction, altitude and location.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I hope that is the case. I contacted both OzRunways and Dynon about this a number of weeks ago. I was told by OzRunways that they asked Dynon for WiFi code access early on, and got a lukewarm reception from them. The response from Dynon implied there was an exclusive period with the American based ForeFlight EFB that now has expired, so Dynon's present response to OzRunways for access should now be more positive. It seems AvPlan got a jump on them I really do hope they catch up, as it is an important feature to me that may make me "jump ship" to AvPlan. How about it OzRunways.....?

I got an email replay from Ozrunway yesterday and the wifi connectivity is not a priority for them .

Down loaded AvPlan a couple days a go and the download flight plans trough wifi on the Skyview works perfect

Afther a couple days navigating myself true AvPlan I'm nearly on the same level of proficiency and with some better features, however I did notice a lot more traffic displayed on Ozrunway than AvPlan this has probably to do with Ozrunway having more prescribers.

So at the moment if you have a Skyview system in your aircraft and using the mapping feature I believe AvPlan is the way to go and that's where I'm going .

• Informative 1

Is there an AvPlan / Dynon Skyview user with this wifi connectivity on this forum? Has it worked well?

My OzRunways subscription may not be renewed due to this issue...

Vaguely related...Today I was in a window seat in a Dash 8 and wanted to know what part of Qld I was looking at. Even in Aeroplane mode my old iPad delivered. OzRunways took less than a minute to aquire satellites (presumably thru the Windows) and give our speed, dire

I do similar things when in a commercial plane. The other day OzR worked almost all the way from Townsville to Brisbane, some 1500k if doing by road. We were above 30k ft most of the way.

From AvPlan EFB you can upload flight plans, get GPS position from your Dynon SkyView and we also use the AHRS to drive the AvPlan EFB Synthetic Vision as well.

We also do maps, geo-referenced DAPs and digital data for your SkyView too.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

From AvPlan EFB you can upload flight plans, get GPS position from your Dynon SkyView and we also use the AHRS to drive the AvPlan EFB Synthetic Vision as well.We also do maps, geo-referenced DAPs and digital data for your SkyView too.

What's the other digital data you do for Skyview, Bevan? I've subscribed to ozrunways for quite some time but have downloaded the trial version of your product and am checking it out. Taking me a little while to get used to the interface change but I'm slowly getting there.

• Like 1

What's the other digital data you do for Skyview

The digital data is all the airport information, airspace etc which you load into your SkyView. It's a replacement for either Jeppesen or pocketfms. The data for your SkyView is a separate service. You don't need to be using AvPlan EFB on your iPad to use the data in your SkyView.

• Like 1

Was flying low avoiding bad wx on Friday across Eyre peninsula and tracking around Gawler Range from Ceduna to Whyalla on sum version and plane icon flew of the map and could not swipe the map. Strong westerlies and turbulence made it a two handed flying task so fooling around with the yoke mounted iPod to press and hold the on off switch was not my idea of a workload I appreciated at the time. The reboot took over a minute to get iPad back on line and reload ozrunways flight plan. Side by that was my WAC chart where I had been cross referencing my position which was near Kimba. My comment is that if you rely on an EFB in bad weather and something stuffs up you may rue the day you decided to use one. I am no fool, have 30 years up and several 000 flight hours and this was no joke. You get shit conditions and have to hand fly through around or over the weather you won't be worrying about the stupid frozen iPad with tiny buttons and a touch screen as you bounce off the seat in the orographic turbulence. This could even occur eg as you pass by the Grampians on a north wind day. Sometimes you are lucky to even hit the right radio knob. My iPad was on the yoke I imagine on the knee in turbulence would be even worse as you would drop your gaze from outside and off the panel to reset the iPad. It is a risk to be factored into bad weather flying.

• Agree 1

Sounds like you jut don't know how to use the iPad or avplan/ozrunways, had one ever since they were released and have flown in severe winds and straight through thunderstorms where the aircraft was rocking 45degree side to side with no problems using ipad.

• Agree 1

Yep just fat fingered dickhead with head up backside like so many people walking off footpaths and getting bowled over by traffic. Did you know they are even considering DONT WALK SIGNS in the footpaths as everyones eyes are down on the ground. You missed the point as usual.

Its a computer and it will lock up.

Cant profess to ever going through a storm cell.

• Like 1

I use Avplan and like it, but I still want a paper map in the cockpit with me and I use a Garmin 196.

I find that in my goldfish bowl type canopy I cannot read the screen unles Ican get it into shade. Even with it set to fly I am still changing screens whenever I touch it to move its location. Today with a fairly bright but overcast sky I just hung the iPad up and navigated the old way, just too hard to see the screen. But it is great for planning and I can get all the info I want onto paper for inflight use.

The Garmin is just great for the inflight section, pick a location GOTO and follow the CDI. It gives dist and time to go with great accuracy.

Maybe I should get a small screen version, that would be easier to get into a shaded spot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If it is so rough you need both hands to fly then paper will be just as inconvenient as an iPad. I find the iPad with ozrunways good and have only ever had to reset once.

The beauty of the moving map is you can see where you are at a glance in regards to the map so you can maximise your eyes outside time.

With proper preflight planning you shouldn't need to look at the iPad too often unless doing a diversion ect but if that is the case the iPad will still be more convenient than the paper. I do still carry an out of date paper map (I was told that is a no no but IMO better than nothing) as a last resort though.

• Agree 1

I've flow trips with my full size iPad on a kneeboard and also hinged off the side to fold down over my right leg. Both setups (with screen near horizontal) suffered from intolerable glare from the sky above my canopy.

It's now mounted near vertically under the panel, between my knees, so no glare.

I've flow trips with my full size iPad on a kneeboard and also hinged off the side to fold down over my right leg. Both setups (with screen near horizontal) suffered from intolerable glare from the sky above my canopy.It's now mounted near vertically under the panel, between my knees, so no glare.

If you put your wings in the "proper" position you wouldn't have any hassles:whistling:

• Haha 1

Why isn't there a rude gesture icon?

:gaah:Why!?

:teacher:Well it is because forumites would misuse them to be mean for example

Someone could do this :na na:which might make someone feel like this:bad_mood:which could cause this:throw pc:or this:smash pc: or at worst this:bash:which could lead to this:banned: or this:cops:

101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif You are 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

(087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...