Comparison of OzRunways vs. AvPlan EFB on iPad

What are peoples views on the significant subscription pricing differences between OzRunways and AvPlan EFB ? I thought I had made the decision to ditch OzRunways and switch to AvPlan EFB because of a few key issues. I made use of AvPlan EFB this weekend and was very happy with it..... but..... the subscription costs.

OzRunways - $169 / yr including DAPs and AOPA Directory / Pilot Touring Guide (no Country Airstrip Guide though) - I don't need to purchase any 'add-ons'

As a commercial VFR pilot (also hold expired MECIR 2D/3D rating) I make use of the DAP's for situational awareness. ie. I like to know where approach points, missed approach routes etc are.

1916678290_ScreenShot2016-09-25at7_16_17PM.png.d0ba0de90301f2cbeaec2bb7f0a200ac.png

AvPlan EFB will cost me $276 / yr for a similar set of charts / docs

- $89 for AvPlan EFB Standard

- $69 for IFR upgrade

- $69 for Country Airstrip Guide

- $49 for AOPA directory

and I still have no LSALT calculator for NVFR

If I want LSALT calc capability I would have to purchase the premium subscription plus add-ons for $337 / yr:

- $219 for AvPlan EFB Standard

- $69 for Country Airstrip Guide

- $49 for AOPA directory

1157673984_ScreenShot2016-09-25at7_16_50PM.png.2caea8b3a8b53e0464bc8428baa5ff0a.png

1091269061_ScreenShot2016-09-25at7_16_59PM.png.f977e9d33292b2c0746d42155c64874e.png

So the funny thing here..... it is more economical to purchase the AvPlan EFB standard + OzRunways Premium and get all the features plus the benefits each app has over the other !!

$89 - AvPlan EFB Standard

$169 - OzRunways Premium

Total - $258 / yr !!!

So I guess I'm a bit confused, and this is just my opinion, but the pricing model doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want to have all your EFB features in one app only.

Both apps have bugs, and in both cases these bugs can be annoying. I think I will stick with OzRunways for a bit longer (and remove my classified :D ) and see where their development goes. There is no affordable AHRS hardware yet to make use of synthetic vision anyway (a big differentiator in the two apps). The XGPS190 (the cheapest supported device) has some concerning reviews floating around re. incorrect pitch indications (and I verified this with the XGPS manufacturer on Fri) and I simply wouldn't trust that brand now given they released to market an AHRS device that give incorrect pitch indication in accelerated turns....

At this stage I can't justify the difference in subscription pricing. This is unfortunate because I think in the longer term AvPlan EFB will be the better EFB tool.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit I've been a bit confused by the options and pricing too! Eg "pro" and "premium" when describing a package imply virtually the same thing to me. Yet they're obviously pretty different.

Optional extras multiply the cost quite a bit.

Hi

OzRunways does not have the Country Airstrip Guide, so it might be best to remove that from any price comparison.

AvPlan EFB 7.1 has an NVFR LSALT calculator and AvPlan EFB have an obstacle database so will actually calculate the LSALT and not just show you a boundary. 7.1 should be out this week. (which also contains bunch of other goodies as well).

• Informative 2

Hi Bevan - I can't edit my previous post any longer so I can't make it clearer that OzRunways doesn't include (nor provide) a subscription to the Country Airstrip Guide.

Looking forward to taking a look at AvPlan EFB 7.1 when it is released this week.